Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I better start something off to document these in UK.

1st one I did was in my wifes car which has been working fine since I did the swap about a month ago now.

Just finished 2nd one today for Ian, he drove away from mine with a smile on his face anyway!
I've asked him to post on here after a few days to let us know how he is getting on with it.

Another two sets of cells on order and another UK customer on standby!

I'm going to keep a built pack in stock as well to make it quicker for people wanting an upgrade/rebuild without the lead time.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Depends a lot on exchange rate, customs and vat charges etc.

Cost is approx $1800 + shipping + above + my build/test/charge and install fee.

£2000 ball park all in approx. That's about 2/3 the price of a new one + fitting from Honda UK.

Mark. You would be very wise to grid charge you car if it has stood for any length of time.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
There are four BB fitted in UK at present, and I'm waiting for one more update to this thread from the other owner on how he is getting on.

My wife's car has one of the BB fitted so I disqualify myself from reporting on that other than to say she hasn't reported any issues and it's much better than the one I took out ;)

I have two more BB on order should be arriving early Feb with luck, one is spoken for (Mark) and one is spare at present.
First person to pay the £1000 deposit gets the reserve on the spare.

I will be ordering two/four more as soon as these arrive as demand / enqs are comming in almost daily!! The three + month lead time from the US is ludicrous though :( Nothing whatever I can do about that.

Price at present is ~£2000 inc fitting at my place and 2 year rtb warranty.
Price is subject to change without notice due to vat/customs duty and exchange rate fluctuations.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As deposits have been paid the next two batteries to arrive shortly in UK are now spoken for.

Lead time for further batteries still remains at 3 months+ :( If you want one you need to order it asap and bear in mind the horrible lead time which is totally out of my control. The batteries are covered by 2 year RTB warranty if fitted by me at my place in Yorkshire.

As soon as the two batteries arrive with me I will be ordering more, but this may be affected by the enqs being made by another member on here who posted recently after offering his car for sale who has contacts within Honda UK, and is persuing a possible cheaper price for UK Insight owners. Can't find thread at moment. If the price is competitive and available to all then I obviously won't be ordering any more BB. I encourage this approach to Honda as it's a scandal we got shafted by the warranty here compared to the US, plus I have loads to do and the BB take up a fair bit of my limited spare time.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two more ordered.

I have ordered two more batteries for stock first to pay the depsoit to me gets reserve on those. e-mail me if you want to reserve one. I have had at least three enquiries about UK cars with failing batteries this week alone!! I can see I will have to get half a dozen in stock.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Another UK BB on the road.

David has just left mine after his BB install and cafe trip this morning. ;) Had me worried for a second when assist seemed average then I noticed as bat had been in my garage it was only at ~5C so assist limited until it warms up a bit on his way home. He said he would report back to the forum in a couple of weeks. He also has an OBDIIC&C so can keep a close eye on it.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Cells arrived. The next two lots of cells have arrived at my address.

Now need to assemble, test and charge packs for the two UK customers on the list.

Might be able to arrange fitting on 8-11th of May inc so check those dates.

Might be the last BB cells we have in UK as Honda have dropped the price to about the same as me.

Anything to report from the other UK BB owners?

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
UK BetterBattery Status

As some will have seen the source of the BetterBattery cells has dried up for the time being with the demise of Hybrid-Battery-Repair. That means I am no longer able to rebuild UK IMA batteries :(

All the orders currently in the pipeline are safe as I have the packs here and built.

The warranty is as agreed two year return to base and I stand by this myself, so the fact HBR has gone to the wall does not mean you are left in the lurch.

I suggest UK owners with IMA battery troubles now consider the PP50 (50 x A123 cell Lithium solution) or the UK Honda OEM pack which has now dropped significantly in price anyway.

I hope someone will take over from HBR and source the cells. I'll keep you posted.

Peter

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Cells back in stock in UK/EU

I have got some cells in stock and a supply chain in place with a lot quicker delivery.
So battery service is back up and running for UK/EU people who need new battery/cells.

I'll try to build up a spare battery next week so will then be able to offer same day/week turn around.
Rather than the three months we had to wait before.

Peter

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I now keep an assembled and tested BB in stock for immediate fitting in UK.

I'm interested in any update from the current BB owners in the UK?
Some are comming up to a year old now.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Another UK battery fitted

Just fitted another IMA Battery today for Jack9994.

Had the traditional post battery change breakfast at the local cafe and trip out in the A123 lithium car. ;)

He will report back to the thread when he has tested it.

I should have another battery in stock in a week.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Thanks for the updates and nice to meet you.
Please all keep the updates coming.

I now have another new BB IMA battery in stock for immediate fitment.

I also now keep a 12v battery in stock, if the 12V is weak it can hammer the IMA battery.
I recommend both are replaced together if the 12V is more than a few years old.
Price for 12v battery is Honda Retail ~£68 inc fitting which takes about a minute.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
John. Well we can swap the BCM for an earlier one if you want :) I think you need to give it a month first.

The longer charging time is accounted for in the fact that the battery has more capacity than a standard battery, remember your old battery would have had only very little capacity left, and you were used to that charging up which would not take long at all.

If you use the IMA a lot then the batteries will warm up.

If you had an OBDIIC&C gauge you could see in real time what the temps, current, soc and voltage actually are ;)
The bars on the OEM gauge only give the vaugest indication something is happening.
The actual assist/regen current flowing can vary widely with no change in the bars on display.
You will soon see all the quirks/nuances of the system if you observe using the OBDIIC&C.
I'll lend you one for a month if you want on sale/return.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I have another brand new BB Insight IMA battery in stock for immediate fitment.

Two year rtb warranty of course.

I also now keep a 12v battery in stock, if the 12V is weak it can hammer the IMA battery.
I recommend both are replaced together if the 12V is more than a few years old.
Price for 12v battery is Honda Retail ~£68 inc fitting which takes about a minute.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
10 packs in stock!

I've just invested heavily in some sticks for UK owners and now have enough in stock to build 10 packs with the BB/Maxima type 8ah full spec cells. I'm getting a lot of enqs but should be able to have some ready for install once I get some built up in the next couple of weeks.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I've now built up 4 x G1 and 1 x HCH1 batteries for stock for UK owners.
Available for fitting at short notice if reqd.

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Warranty Extension

I done quite a few new batteries for Insights and Civic's now here in the UK/EU and been thinking about a warranty extension for a while. They seem to take everything I can throw at them in my experiments and testing and (touch wood) I haven't had any warranty returns at all in the time they have been fitted.

So to that end all customers who have bought a battery from me now benefit from an automatic extension of their battery warranty by a further year from the date of fitting.

Making my warranty now 3 years rtb.

If an IMA battery I supply fails (with relevant battery ima codes) within 3 years I will simply replace it for you. :)

Peter

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
IMA Battery & Simple Charger

I've just invested a lot of money in 500 sticks for another 25 UK batteries!

My batteries now come with the option of a simple grid charger fitted at the same time as the battery for only £100 extra.
That's a £100 saving on the battery and charger bought separately.

The batteries are already covered by my recently extended 3 year rtb warranty. The addition of a simple charger helps those who have an infrequent car usage pattern, or who have access to a power socket and want to try and use the battery more in a PHEV lite mode. It's also a good way of keeping the battery in tip top form as has been shown by the many people building and selling them worldwide.

The PHEV lite mode would be best used with the IMA Boost device detailed on the other thread.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...ues/28194-simple-ima-boost-reduce-device.html

·
Administrator
13,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
For effective balancing grid charges must be at least 16 hours + upto about 24hrs max.
Keep me updated. If you get any battery codes we will fix it. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.