Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
No brainer for UK owners

We're well past 2.5k miles with the BetterBattery now and still no recals or assist limiting at all. After a week on Gower we managed to drain the SoC to 32% with a loaded car, but the level usually sits between 45 and 65% the way we drive it - using the assist!

What a great car it is - stable in cross winds over the Severn bridge on Saturday and sailed through its MoT on Tuesday. >70 MPG on a tank 2 up with 2 dogs + a week's luggage in winter.

As a present (!) I've obtained a 'GASOLINE ELECTRIC HYBRID' sticker for the tailgate. Just need to work out where to put it...:confused:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Couple more days in & I've noticed that SOC is raraely 100%, 80-85% is the highest I usually see, equally I'm noticing it rarely drops below 60% & whereas I used to get as recal the second I hit traffic, I've not had a single one yet.
Rarely isn't never. It's really hard to get a standard battery up to 20 bars - ever, but your BetterBattery will do it automatically on a long trip if you hold a steady throttle on level ground (and keep the speeds below 70 or so).

We've got insanely long straight roads here in the US (days of driving long), but you've got some long stretches as well. Keep an eye on the gauge next time you take a long trip.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Another UK BB on the road.

David has just left mine after his BB install and cafe trip this morning. ;) Had me worried for a second when assist seemed average then I noticed as bat had been in my garage it was only at ~5C so assist limited until it warms up a bit on his way home. He said he would report back to the forum in a couple of weeks. He also has an OBDIIC&C so can keep a close eye on it.

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
I put mine above the Honda badge on the LHS.

Looks okay to me there :biggrin:
Yup - I went for that too in the end. Twelve quid well spent.

·
Registered
139 Posts
BB update

I have now covered 600 miles with the BB and have had no problems at all.
The old battery was not totally finished - no codes- but was tired and would recal if the car was not driven for 3 or 4 days. I'm sure i could have dragged it out for another year or so but it was detracting from the pleasure of driving my Insight .
As far as hard data goes i cannot offer any; i do have an OBDII C&C but only had it ready about 6 days before Peter installed the BB and never got the time to get a feel for what was going on with the old battery. As for MPG i cannot comment as there are far too many variables e.g the weather has warmed up a lot since the install and the car is having one of its periodic herky-jerky episodes as well.
What is certain is that the SOC is far better all the time and the lowest i have got it down to is 62% on the OBD and that was me using as much assist as possible on long dragging hills .
I would like to add my thanks to Peter for the huge amount of time,effort and imagination he has put into improving our Insights .

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Cells arrived. The next two lots of cells have arrived at my address.

Now need to assemble, test and charge packs for the two UK customers on the list.

Might be able to arrange fitting on 8-11th of May inc so check those dates.

Might be the last BB cells we have in UK as Honda have dropped the price to about the same as me.

Anything to report from the other UK BB owners?

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
UK BetterBattery Status

As some will have seen the source of the BetterBattery cells has dried up for the time being with the demise of Hybrid-Battery-Repair. That means I am no longer able to rebuild UK IMA batteries :(

All the orders currently in the pipeline are safe as I have the packs here and built.

The warranty is as agreed two year return to base and I stand by this myself, so the fact HBR has gone to the wall does not mean you are left in the lurch.

I suggest UK owners with IMA battery troubles now consider the PP50 (50 x A123 cell Lithium solution) or the UK Honda OEM pack which has now dropped significantly in price anyway.

I hope someone will take over from HBR and source the cells. I'll keep you posted.

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
BB fitted - many thanks PP

Just a note to say thanks to Peter for fitting my 12 year old Insight with one of the last new BBs last week.
It only took a little over an hour, started almost immediately and Peter did a brief test drive in it and passed on some very useful hypermiling tips.
Did 84.9 mpg going up to his (200 miles, mostly m'way) and 99.6 mpg coming back, with combination of BB and said tips (eg sit behind a lorry on m'way) so very pleased with that.
No problems with battery so far although it's been warm weather - I suspect the real test will come in the winter which was when my old Honda IMA battery first conked out.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Car happy with new battery

Just had a battery fitted by Peter and the car is much better for it. Had a nice big breakfast at the local cafe, and some chocolate muffins for the long drive back to Glasgow.

Seems I have some misfiring issues to resolve and these are gettign slowly worse, but the IMA is functioning brilliantly. In fact being able to get into lean burn may well be highlighting the misfire as previously i was not getting into lean burn, just blowing through it.

Only done a few hundred miles, but it's much much smoother, and actually feels like a big engine now. Peter helped clear other codes and car felt good for the first time in ages. Turns out it is quite quick too...

It is also nice to see the SOC gauge rise while charging down the hills.

MPG doubled around town and went up about 5-10 overall, but I expect a bit more when I get the darn engine fixed.

Thank you Peter it was a pleasure to meet you, and nice to see all your insight toys. MIMA next....

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Cells back in stock in UK/EU

I have got some cells in stock and a supply chain in place with a lot quicker delivery.
So battery service is back up and running for UK/EU people who need new battery/cells.

I'll try to build up a spare battery next week so will then be able to offer same day/week turn around.
Rather than the three months we had to wait before.

Peter

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I now keep an assembled and tested BB in stock for immediate fitting in UK.

I'm interested in any update from the current BB owners in the UK?
Some are comming up to a year old now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
BB update

Hi Peter,
Six months since the BB installation and no problems at all . No dramatic increase in MPG but i wasn't expecting this anyway-i think my old battery still had quite a bit of life in it and i drive with the headlights on so the battery was always getting some background charge. I enjoy driving the Insight even more now because i am not trying to drive around avoiding recals . On reflection this probably means i am taking less care as far as economy driving is concerned so i suppose that would mean that the BB has positively affected the MPG.

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
Update

Hi Peter.

The battery is still very strong after nearly 8k miles and we're enjoying the extra power of full assist - I saw 80 amps momentarily on the OBDC while accelerating pretty briskly up a local hill climb in second gear. MPG wise there is little improvement but then you're nursing the car when the battery is weak, and our tyres are nothing special. However, at motorway speeds a strong battery allows you to stay in 5th gear all day despite headwinds, hills and spells of brisk overtaking. That's probably worth 5+ MPG over a weak pack.

We do see negative recals from time to time, usually at the start of a journey after the car has been sitting for a week or so. Overall though, the operation - visible and background charging and discharging rates all seem fine, voltages don't fluctuate much etc.

So still a firm recommendation for a non Honda pack.:)

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Another UK battery fitted

Just fitted another IMA Battery today for Jack9994.

Had the traditional post battery change breakfast at the local cafe and trip out in the A123 lithium car. ;)

He will report back to the thread when he has tested it.

I should have another battery in stock in a week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
update

as requested peter,

!st customer installation by Peter over 1 year ago

All good . Everything a constant improvement . I have had a couple of neg

recals .Again , after being stationary for several days . No other issues.

Highly recommend.

Ian

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Peter,

Good to meet you today. Thanks for fitting the new battery and breakfast - hope your apprentice was up to scratch! Your workshop is like an Aladdins cave for Insighters.

The cars performance is a vast improvement and I averaged 88mpg despite trying the acceleration a few times, but there was a lot of slow traffic.

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
John

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Thanks for the updates and nice to meet you.
Please all keep the updates coming.

I now have another new BB IMA battery in stock for immediate fitment.

I also now keep a 12v battery in stock, if the 12V is weak it can hammer the IMA battery.
I recommend both are replaced together if the 12V is more than a few years old.
Price for 12v battery is Honda Retail ~£68 inc fitting which takes about a minute.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
22 Participants
timdaw356
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing