Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Having driven a further 120 miles on the battery these are some more observations:

The car seems to take an age recharging the battery from 1/3 to 3/4 full when cruising on the motorway at light throttle openings - there is a light charge of 3-4bars for what seems like miles - maybe my later BCM is the reason (which charges at a lesser rate than the original?)

The performance is brilliant and the larger capacity means you have assist for ages - and no longer does the car get left behind at the lights.

I now hear the battery fan running to cool the battery at the end of a journey (which I never did with the OEM battery). Surprised that the fan stops when you switch off the ignition - I thought it might have run till the battery temperature reduced.

I averaged 66mpg over the trip - but I was in a hurry for the last 30 miles.

Cheers
John

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
John. Well we can swap the BCM for an earlier one if you want :) I think you need to give it a month first.

The longer charging time is accounted for in the fact that the battery has more capacity than a standard battery, remember your old battery would have had only very little capacity left, and you were used to that charging up which would not take long at all.

If you use the IMA a lot then the batteries will warm up.

If you had an OBDIIC&C gauge you could see in real time what the temps, current, soc and voltage actually are ;)
The bars on the OEM gauge only give the vaugest indication something is happening.
The actual assist/regen current flowing can vary widely with no change in the bars on display.
You will soon see all the quirks/nuances of the system if you observe using the OBDIIC&C.
I'll lend you one for a month if you want on sale/return.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have another brand new BB Insight IMA battery in stock for immediate fitment.

Two year rtb warranty of course.

I also now keep a 12v battery in stock, if the 12V is weak it can hammer the IMA battery.
I recommend both are replaced together if the 12V is more than a few years old.
Price for 12v battery is Honda Retail ~£68 inc fitting which takes about a minute.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks for the update Peter. Which 12V do you have in stock? The Honda OEM one? If so, please save that one for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
10 packs in stock!

I've just invested heavily in some sticks for UK owners and now have enough in stock to build 10 packs with the BB/Maxima type 8ah full spec cells. I'm getting a lot of enqs but should be able to have some ready for install once I get some built up in the next couple of weeks.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I've now built up 4 x G1 and 1 x HCH1 batteries for stock for UK owners.
Available for fitting at short notice if reqd.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
BetterBattery update...

Well it has been a week or so since I got my red Insight back from being sorted from Peter Perkins and one of the items I had was the UK BetterBattery.

I have got my old performance within the car back... My fuel consumption hasn't really improved I just drive faster :)

I did manage to average 92 mpg on the way back down from meeting Peter Half way from Chelmsford to Thirsk. He managed 106 mpg on the 1st half, I managed 86 mpg on my half..

In addition to the BB, I had the IMA&C&C mod with rally mode R1, Grid-plug in charger, steering wheel joystick and the OBDIIC&C device... All the devices work and allow me to tune the Insights capabilities as well as diagnose any future fault codes, which is nice.

The BetterBattery is really good compared to my older pack which was on it's last legs to be honest. The car has not regenerated or thrown any wobblies since collection and worked faultlessly which is to be expected, and Peter knows these cars well and has a wealth of spares in his work space.

For me it was money well invested to make sure my Insight will last another 13+ years before the BBattery needs attention again. Maybe much longer, as I have the grid trickle charger installed.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Warranty Extension

I done quite a few new batteries for Insights and Civic's now here in the UK/EU and been thinking about a warranty extension for a while. They seem to take everything I can throw at them in my experiments and testing and (touch wood) I haven't had any warranty returns at all in the time they have been fitted.

So to that end all customers who have bought a battery from me now benefit from an automatic extension of their battery warranty by a further year from the date of fitting.

Making my warranty now 3 years rtb.

If an IMA battery I supply fails (with relevant battery ima codes) within 3 years I will simply replace it for you. :)

Peter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thankyou for that Peter . As you may well remember mine was the first pack you fitted for a customer and throughout this time it has be perfect . No issues whatsoever.

As for IMA c&c fitting ,sorry about not replying sooner , My back is good now thanks but am off shortly on a 4 k. mile tour around central europe in the Insight so I will be in touch on my return.

Ian

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just to add my thanks for the warranty extension. My BB is still working well-no recals or any other problems. I cannot give an accurate assessment of the effect on MPG due to a change in my driving habits .

·
Registered
35 Posts
A worthy trip indeed.

Back home after a very informative and necessary IMA battery replacement. Excellent service - beyond the call of duty, and all the better for getting personally involved - nothing like hands on experience to aid the learning experience.

Difficult to predict how much better the Insight performed on the way back as I was enjoying the assist that has been lacking so much in the past few months, but I still managed an average of 85 mpg for the 175 mile journey.

The Lithium Insight is certainly a revelation and all the gizmos give plenty of food for thought for future updates.

My thanks to Peter for ensuring we keep the Insight alive and kicking.

·
Registered
139 Posts
20 months and about 6000 miles with the BB and I have just had my first negative recal. This happened during a period of low usage and the times the car was being used were numerous very short trips (less than 2 miles and about half of that up a very steep hill). The battery recharged on a 12 mile motorway trip with a small positive recal at the end jumping from 70.2 to 75% in a matter of seconds.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
IMA Battery & Simple Charger

I've just invested a lot of money in 500 sticks for another 25 UK batteries!

My batteries now come with the option of a simple grid charger fitted at the same time as the battery for only £100 extra.
That's a £100 saving on the battery and charger bought separately.

The batteries are already covered by my recently extended 3 year rtb warranty. The addition of a simple charger helps those who have an infrequent car usage pattern, or who have access to a power socket and want to try and use the battery more in a PHEV lite mode. It's also a good way of keeping the battery in tip top form as has been shown by the many people building and selling them worldwide.

The PHEV lite mode would be best used with the IMA Boost device detailed on the other thread.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/28194-simple-ima-boost-reduce-device.html

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I've suffered at the hands of a few neg recals recently, had about 4 in as many weeks, travelling about 20miles a day in the car. Tried a couple of grid charges to see if that helps.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
For effective balancing grid charges must be at least 16 hours + upto about 24hrs max.
Keep me updated. If you get any battery codes we will fix it. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Better Battery Review - after 6 months use

Pete fitted one of his batteries to our car in late June. The installation process was enjoyable, efficient and fast, with the pair of us working together.

During the time spent with Pete, I learnt a lot about the car and picked up a number of useful tips.

Initially the battery seemed to take a little time to start charging properly, but before long it was working as it should. Six months on, the battery is behaving very well, despite my wife's commute being one of the worst types for this car - short, stop start, congested town journey. Fuel economy is improved by about 10+%, with the car returning 65mpg on the horrible commute, and much more on long runs. Power from the battery assist is also improved.

I was reluctant to get a Honda battery as the 1 year guarantee is poor, and how do we know when the battery was made/how long it's been sitting on the shelf? Also, I was concerned about it being fitted by a Honda technician with no experience of our cars.

I'm pleased to report that I feel sure I made the right decision to get one of Pete's better batteries. It's great that people like him are making an effort to continuously improve our special little cars.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
22 Participants
timdaw356
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing