·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
What is "Cat D insurance write off"?
Must be catastrophic loss as this car is way too cheap but still for sale.
Must be a UK term.
Gerald

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is "Cat D insurance write off"?
Must be catastrophic loss as this car is way too cheap but still for sale.
Must be a UK term.
Gerald
Category D cars can be fixed and the repairs will cost less than its market value. However, the insurance company's decision to repair it is dependent on more than the cost of the repairs. If you're buying a Cat D car, there's no guarantee that it hasn't incurred chassis damage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've spoken to the guy who has this car forsale. He says it doesn't have a washer bottle or inner wheel arch liner. This makes me suspicious. It's a bargain but I don't think resale value will be good because it has been damaged. Any thoughts on this car??? Does anyone know the old owner???

Cheers Chris.

·
3,641 Posts
Washer bottle is in right front corner (on LHD cars at least) right behind bumper cover, between it and the fender well liner. Not an expensive part. If owner admits to having front end damage repaired, it could explain the washer fluid reservoir having been damaged. Just as with any used car, history, and your inspection are most relevant factor.

Looks like car was sold though.

I like this car, but more than twice the money.2005 HONDA INSIGHT 1.0 IMA VTEC HYBRID AUTOMATIC * UPTO 120 MPG RARE WHITE | eBay Gotta be among the last ones made. US Insight fans may notice the absence of the triangle cutout in the headrests. JDM cars came like that.

Can anyone tell what the red knob is under the passenger side dash?

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK so the car is still for sale, the ebay listing just ran out. here is a pic of the front of the car as the guy collected it to repair from the insurance co.

He said the airbags didn't go off so it must have been a light impact. He said he fitted a new bumper and drove it round to check all was fine.

I like this car as its low miles but you can see the difference in colour between the new bumper and the front wing. Also one of the wheels is scraped, resale value wont be as good as others too.

My next option is this higher milage Red one.

2002 HONDA INSIGHT FULL Serv/Hist 118,000 MILES UK CAR Great MPG and Zero Tax! | eBay

It has full service history and the seller sounds very happy with the car. It's double the mileage but it's in good condition bar the drivers wing mirror not working.

Then there are the more expensive alternative options.

HONDA INSIGHT 1.0 IMA VTEC HYBRID * RARE CAR & MANUAL GEARBOX * UPTO 120 MPG | eBay

And

HONDA INSIGHT 1.0 IMA VTEC HYBRID * RARE CAR * UPTO 120 MPG | eBay

I definitely want a manual car which rules out the white car spoke about earlier(thought the red knob was for bonnet or boot). However I can't see why these two are prices £500 different. Any ideas???

Would both of these black cars be tax free??? If not how much would you have to pay a year???

Lots of options and I don't even know which one has a good battery. Will do some more research and think about booking a test drive.

Chris.

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
The red 2002 uk manual tax free car is your best bet IMHO.

As always factor in the price of a new battery/gearbox build into any price you pay.

Gearbox isb/synchro, cat and battery are the most expensive repairs likely.

My car has 290k on it's original engine, so the engine is the least bit to worry about IMO.

IIRC tax is about £140 a year for the non tax free examples.

Pontefract is not that far from me, so make a trip of it and come over to HU181XA if you buy it for a once over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
£140 for road tax, ouch!!! My spitfires free(1966). So that takes the more expensive ones out of the picture then.

I was thinking of popping over to view this car on Friday. Just need to wait for the seller to respond. I could come round after if your about for a chat. Will probably be on the motorbike as the Triumph is currently off the road. Would you be around on Friday???

As for the cat, why doesn't everyone remove the second cat (not needed) and replace the front with a high flow version when it gives up. This would improve acceleration and mpg.

Another thing I don't like about the low mileage car is that it's not been used. Most vehicles don't like sitting about. Things seize up and oil seals sag.

As a quick recap.
Gearbox if it make noise when changing down on 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st then it needs a rebuild. How much does that cost just for the rebuild???

The Battery I can get from Bumblebee batteries or it this the same product you do Peter??? This is tested by thrashing the car for a few miles and draining the battery, then drive eco and see how fast it recharges. How quickly should the bars come back.

Cat, these are usually £300-500. Anyone know for sure???

Cheers Chris.

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Yes I am about on friday. I'll need to know an eta to within 30 minutes either way.

Yes I sell batteries made from sticks from the same source as the BB ones.
I'll show you what i do when you are here.

The cat in the Insight is a special three way type all in the same container. Google it.
It also has an oxygen sensor before and after it, so if you remove it you get error codes.
There are no aftermarket ones in the uk, but they last years. 10 minimum IMO.

The prices for all Honda UK parts is online. I dare you to look at the cat price ;)

Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

Item 2 in this picture.

Gearbox main problem is input shaft bearing. Syncro can be modded.
Main cost is the labour getting it in/out and then rebuilt.

Steve at Auto-tech Thirsk rebuilds Insight gearboxes for my customers.

I have spare gearboxes but they aint cheap.

Re the battery. Learn what positive and negative recals are, and when testing see if the car exhibits any of those.
Use WOT in highest gear possible. So 5th gear from 25mph.

e-mail me at my signature below to discuss a visit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OMG!!!! thats half the price of the car I'm looking at!!!!! There must be a performance 200 cell cat that will do the job!!!!! My throats gone quite tight now. Thats mental.

How much does Steve charge roughly for a drive in drive out replacement of the gearbox???

Chris.

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Ring him Monday 01845 526192. Brace yourself.

Anyway stop panicking about these things. Go and see the car then report back.

The cat is likely fine, gearbox ditto but might need new isb with those miles.
battery might be fine with a good cycling, I can teach you how to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts