Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bidding frenzy has already begun, with almost a week still to go and already up to £1600 with 25 bids...(btw no connection with seller)

HONDA INSIGHT 995 CC HYBRID COUPE 35000 MLS | eBay

How much do we think it will go for ? Given recent sales, it will be amazing if it doesn't exceed £5000. Especially at such low mileage and "new battery pack fitted last year" (they do mean IMA battery, don't they?)

I doubt that they will accept one of Mark's famous low-ball offers either :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's me :)

I picked it up this afternoon. Low mileage, had a big service in Nov '12 which included a new IMA battery and 12v battery. It's got a few marks here and there inside, but the exterior looks pretty good - I'll give it a good clean at the weekend, and will put up some pics then.

I now have lots of open questions about fixing it up which I'll try to work through the forum, and I've a few ideas to jazz it up a bit - like replacing the seats with S2000 seats, and steering wheel with an S2000 one, possibly even getting it retrimmed (like here).

I was in a hurry to get back from collecting it so drove it sedately for a while then caned it a little when the road opened up. On the phone to the Mrs, I confessed and said I was only getting 67.7mpg out of it ;-)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations

Lucky you. But only 67mpg :-| You will look back in a few months and recoil in horror at how poor that was ;)

Having done over 5000 miles in mine now, some friendly advice...

1. If you haven't already got one, set aside some cash for one of Peter's OBDIIC&C readers. The lean burn LED makes your quest for better economy much easier, and the other features will really help you get the most out of your Insight experience.
2. Either build or buy (Peter again) a grid charger to keep the IMA battery in tip-top health.
3. Get your tyres pumped up to the safe limit marked on the tyre wall.
4. Get some low rolling resistance tyres ASAP. I went for the Continental ContiEcoContact 5 in 165/70R14 form as they help the ride quality (taller profile) even with 50psi. The downside is taller gearing which takes some getting used to.
5. Get a 4 wheel alignment performed on a Hunter machine. The old fashioned "tracking" in either 2 or 4 wheel form is a false economy and will never give accurate alignment. Nothing worse than a car that doesn't steer straight.
6. Make yourself a radiator block to help reduce warm times outside of summer. Be sure to remove it in the summer, or at speed any time of the year. Best not to fit one of these until you have an OBDIIC&C reader as the dash temperature reading isn't much use.
7. When it is serviced, insist on genuine Honda Green Engine Oil, anything else will hit your mpg.
8. If you aren't already know as one, get used to being classed as a car bore, droning on about mpg and hyper-miling.
9. Keep researching on here, there is a vast pool of knowledge and support, so tap into it.
9. Enjoy. A lot :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Having done over 5000 miles in mine now, some friendly advice...

1. If you haven't already got one, set aside some cash for one of Peter's OBDIIC&C readers. The lean burn LED makes your quest for better economy much easier, and the other features will really help you get the most out of your Insight experience.
2. Either build or buy (Peter again) a grid charger to keep the IMA battery in tip-top health.
3. Get your tyres pumped up to the safe limit marked on the tyre wall.
4. Get some low rolling resistance tyres ASAP. I went for the Continental ContiEcoContact 5 in 165/70R14 form as they help the ride quality (taller profile) even with 50psi. The downside is taller gearing which takes some getting used to.
5. Get a 4 wheel alignment performed on a Hunter machine. The old fashioned "tracking" in either 2 or 4 wheel form is a false economy and will never give accurate alignment. Nothing worse than a car that doesn't steer straight.
6. Make yourself a radiator block to help reduce warm times outside of summer. Be sure to remove it in the summer, or at speed any time of the year. Best not to fit one of these until you have an OBDIIC&C reader as the dash temperature reading isn't much use.
7. When it is serviced, insist on genuine Honda Green Engine Oil, anything else will hit your mpg.
8. If you aren't already know as one, get used to being classed as a car bore, droning on about mpg and hyper-miling.
9. Keep researching on here, there is a vast pool of knowledge and support, so tap into it.
9. Enjoy. A lot :)
Thanks for the advice! I've got OBDIIC&C on the list, and will take a good look at the tyres over the weekend - the OS front is a Kumho of some vintage and I presume the NS front is too. I think the rears are Michelins but I'll have a closer look.

Oh, and there's no danger of me NOT being classed a car bore :) Here're some of my other obsessions...
https://flic.kr/p/j6CeoT
http://tinyurl.com/blueeuropa

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase, I'm about to pull my S2000 wheel out in a couple of weeks if your interested.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Puggie - you have PM. I wouldn't mind taking a look at your car too, if you're not too far away from me (W Berks).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well done ewan. Good value car you have bought- I admire your patience in waiting for the best possible example to become available. I look forward to seeing it in the Reading area.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks - maybe we should get a Reading mini meet up for a beer one evening :)

I spent a couple of hours today just checking out the tyres, pumping them up, giving the car a going over with a clay bar, a 2-stage machine polish then some wax... so now it's looking nice and shiny :)

WP_20140418_18_01_02_Pro (2) (1280x720).jpg

WP_20140418_18_16_23_Pro (1280x720).jpg

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Oh, and there's no danger of me NOT being classed a car bore :) Here're some of my other obsessions...
https://flic.kr/p/j6CeoT
Was that your NSX in front of the Porsche museum? It looks fantastic! Is it a nice car to drive?

You are no doubt aware that the Insight was built in the same factory as the NSX using many the aluminium manufacturing/machining processes that were developed on the NSX.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Was that your NSX in front of the Porsche museum? It looks fantastic! Is it a nice car to drive?

You are no doubt aware that the Insight was built in the same factory as the NSX using many the aluminium manufacturing/machining processes that were developed on the NSX.
Thanks! Yes, it was. I had it for 4 years and 26k miles and it was fantastic - just a lovely car in lots of ways. Really nice to drive though not intimidating, it was comfortable and had plenty of space in the boot ... so we took it on a round-Europe jaunt that took in the Italian lakes, Parma/Modena/Maranello/Bologna, Stelvio, Stuttgart, Nurburgring... and it never missed a beat.

There are some nice pics of the car at Wilton House, where it was shown off a couple of times - here, here, here. And there are some video files here too...

Amongst other things, I had a couple of S2000s (AP1 from 2000 and AP2 from 2004) and then got the NSX, so I consider the Insight as completing the trilogy of Tochigi :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts