Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news! :D I have corresponded with the Honda Institute and the UK's first Honda Insight Owners Day will take place on Friday 5th August.

I am meeting the guys at Honda in the next couple of weeks to decide on the days programme but it will include some or all of the following:

A tour of the Honda Institute and presentation of what they do
A presentation of the history of Honda and its products
Some Honda product demos
A presentation and demo of the technology behind Insight
An Insight quiz (with a Insight-related prize provided by me)
Hopefully a presentation by the Honda UK Product Development team about the IMAS/Insight 2

I was pleasantly surprised by the enthusiasm of the Honda UK contact:

"Wow! Yes we would love to have the Insight Owners Club visit the Honda Institute. We are always very happy to show off our facilities and to talk about Honda's fantastic technology. What you have requested is right up our street and I would be happy to have a face to face meeting to discuss details. Could you tell me, would they be bringing their vehicles? We have a very large workshop and it would be great to have fleet of Insights on display. The charge for the numbers you have requested would be only £20:00 per head (including lunch) and I can assure you we have experts on the Insight technology and the trip would be very worthwhile for you. I look forward to hearing from you."

As you can see there is a £20 fee, which includes a proper lunch. I am willing to pay this for the first 10 Insight drivers and their co-pilots that sign up, but I would be grateful for any reimbursements on the day! :)

When I have more details on the programme for the day I will let you know. The Honda Institute is in Colnbrook, Slough - just off the M4/M25, near Heathrow. Please post if you have any queries or suggestions and also to confirm that you and your Insight can attend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
UK Honda Insight Owners Day

Amendment to last.........Yes I will be bringing my Citrus Yellow Insight but my Wife won't come as co-pilot as She has never liked the car (but loves the economy) even though it was a gift from me. I'll bring a garage friend of mine as He is eager to see the Honda Institute.

I am curious as to your web-site of "http://www.dft.gov.uk" what's the link?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Count me in Citrus Smoothie,and my oxygen blue Insight. While washing my car recently I wondered why there isn't a club with meetings throughout the summer like other marques.It would be nice to see several Insights together at mixed meets and it would help educate the public as well as provide a social gathering for any insighters.
Maybe this needs a seperate thread to propose.

DGate

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep I'd be interested Citrus. Not too far from where I live either.

From Honda UK's point of view I doubt they've ever had a large group of Insights together, so they could perhaps make some PR spin about collective fuel savings.

Do any of you folks live in Chiswick? I been down there a couple of times in the last week and saw a green Insight near the park and a red one parked up on the High Road. Before that I think I've only seen one other Insight out and about.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your responses. The first five spaces have been taken up, another five left:

Lean Machine
Dgate
Sulphur Man (sent me a PM)
jack9994
Ed

I think it would be a good idea for the Honda PR people to be there and I will discuss this with them on 1st of July when I have the meeting with them. I work for the Department for Transport (hence the website link) and it is possible that our departmental magazine / PR people might be interested as well. This is a personal project and not connected with DfT.

A later e-mail from Honda said that they should be able to give us details about the new Civic IMA due next year but any details about the Insight 2 are likely to be embargoed.

I will supply more details as and when I have them. If anyone has suggestions about other activities on the day, please post. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Would it be unwelcome suggestion to suggets the invitation were extended to other Insight groups. As the UK Insight ownership is limited it might swell the numbers................

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already invited No.166 and Windmill from mainland Europe - if you can think of anyone else please send me a PM :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ed said:
Do any of you folks live in Chiswick? I been down there a couple of times in the last week and saw a green Insight near the park and a red one parked up on the High Road. Before that I think I've only seen one other Insight out and about.
Ed, I live in Marylebone and often drive thru Chiswick, usually stopping to get some nosebag at Elias Lebanese on Turnham Green Terrace - that place is great. My silver 51-reg was bought from Chiswick Honda. You saw a green Insight? Didn't think that was a factory colour.

·
Registered
288 Posts
'kin 'ell ! :roll:
Cannot make it ! I'm on holiday "down under" from 22nd July till 22nd August.....

I'd love to attend, as the Honda-Guys sound REALLY enthusiastic.
:cry:

I'll think of you guys, when we go beyond the black stump on Cape York. 8)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Out of interest how many UK Insight owners are registered on InsightCentral?

Sulphur Man - green as in the citrus colour. It's just strange to see two Insights in a week. Prior to that I've only ever seen one - a blue one parked up in Tetbury, Gloucestershire

G

·
Should be able to make it, racing/testing commitments allowing.

I'll try to persuade the missis to come.

Have decide I just can't part with her (the car) after being in the Bristol motor show at the weekend & seeing how much attention the car got.

BTW, is a certain person bidding on an Oxygen blue Inssight on EBAY?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark Elvin said:
BTW, is a certain person bidding on an Oxygen blue Insight on EBAY?
Perhaps.... :D

Glad you should be able to make the Owners Day, that makes seven Insights (including me) plus possibly the chap I sold my silver Insight to. I still have around five unopened PMs to UK owners.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a very good meeting at the Honda Institute today and we have agreed a provisonal programme for the Insight Owners Day:

10.00-10.15 Start & Introductions

10.15-11.00 Presentation on Honda History & Products

11.00-11.30 Tour of the Institute

11.30-11.45 Coffee Break

11.45-12.30 Presentation on IMA Technology

12.30-13.00 In the Workshop - IMA & Component Parts

13.00-14.00 Lunch - three courses. Vegetarian available (as it's a Friday one main course choice is likely to be Fish & Chips)

14.00-14.45 In the Workshop - more practical demonstrations with IMA, including, for example, how to safely close it down

14.45-15.30 IMA Product Development News - including exclusive details about the new Civic IMA

15.30-16.00 Insight Quiz with prize!

If anyone has any comments or suggestions please let me know ASAP. Most of the presentations & workshops will be run by the resident Honda IMA expert (he went to Japan in 1999 when the Insight came out, to meet and learn from the R 'n' D guys). The programme is not set in stone and we can change the times on the day - for example we may find an hour too long for lunch.

Honda PR & DfT Magazine may be there to take some photos. We will be allocated separate parking spaces in the back car park near the entrance to the workshop. The Institute is in a not-so-attractive trading estate but the Institute itself is very good inside. The address is: Poyle Trading Estate, Blackthorne Road, Colnbrook. On the estate, turn right immediately after 'Kangaroo Courier Service'; nearest motorway junction is Jct 14 on the M25 (1 mile away). I can supply a PDF location map for the Honda Institute to anyone who wants it.

Current attendees (edited 3/7) are:

The Citrus Smoothie
Lean Machine (+1)
Dgate
Jack9994
Ed
Sulphur Man
Philip Edwards (+1)
Mark Elvin (provisional)
Alister (provisional)

Definitely looking forward to it! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
:D :D Can you please send us a PDF location map

There will be two of us attending myself and Gill in the Insight

Also my brother is interested in attending any chance he can tag along aswell (although he drives a Ford Focus)

:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Philip & Gill - Thanks for your post and enthusiasm. I will send you the location map as requested. With regards to your brother attending, I personally feel that as it is an "Insight Owners" day with special assistance from Honda, then perhaps it may not be appropriate if he attended. On the other hand if Gill is not that keen (like my wife), then he could perhaps attend as a co-pilot. If we arrange a more activity based 'get together' at a later date then I would be happy to make it all-comers. If you disagree then please shout but I hope you understand.

John / Jack9994 - I asked about the IMAS at our meeting but they did not have any solid information, only rumours. However, they do have solid information on the new Civic IMA (which they have driven) and by all accounts sounds fantastic (which they will tell us about on the day).

I will post again when there are any more queries or nearer the big day!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.