Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All

I have a 2002 gen 1 insight. Couple of weeks ago I lost one of the keys for it. I ordered a replacement from Honda.
Went there today to have it coded to the car as there is an immobiliser chip in the key and Honda said that they couldn't do it as the computer would not connect to the key. Possibly the new programme doesn't have the right system or something. Anyway they are going back to Honda technical.

Just thought that I would search on here for any threads on doing this and cant find one.

Does anybody know how to programme a new key with a chip without using a computer through the OBD port as Honda are trying to do?

Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
A locksmith with gadget will clone your remaining coded key so the ECU will think your two keys are the same and are authorised.

Honda are trying to add your new key to the coded key list in the ECU/IMOB memory.

Honda will/should also remove the lost key from the ECM, so if it turns up it doesn't work and someone can't steal the car with it. .

The locksmith won't be doing that, so you have a potential valid useable lost key somewhere.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good Day All

I have a 2002 gen 1 insight. Couple of weeks ago I lost one of the keys for it. I ordered a replacement from Honda.
Went there today to have it coded to the car as there is an immobiliser chip in the key and Honda said that they couldn't do it as the computer would not connect to the key. Possibly the new programme doesn't have the right system or something. Anyway they are going back to Honda technical.

Just thought that I would search on here for any threads on doing this and cant find one.

Does anybody know how to programme a new key with a chip without using a computer through the OBD port as Honda are trying to do?

Thanks for any advise.
Was the key expensive? I can buy one online pre cut but requiring programing for £20 and am considering this as I have only one key for the car.
Peter is right however when I had my garage, I would reprogram both the old and new keys for Jags/Fords?range Rovers?Aston Martins to save them waking up and finding their car had gone! In my case my missing key is in Japan so not to much of a problem

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks all.

Honda came good and sorted out their issue and entered the key in the system. Thanks Peter, I confirmed that they had taken the old key off the registry so cant be used.

Fortunately the £147 is covered by a key insurance.

Now looking how to programme a new central locking fob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts