Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many UK Insight owners are there on here then?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HJust out of interest really, never seen another on the road & was wondering where they all are.

·
Registered
536 Posts
UK Insight owners

Yes I know Mark they are few and far between but having said that I was returning home the other day in another vehicle and met one the same colour as mine,so the first thing I did was check the garage to make sure mine was still there.
Ive seen one in Cambridge and of course another 8 miles away with the experimental L/A battery pack.(see other thread) so there are pockets of them about.
I would like to know how many were sold in the UK? as I am constantly being asked.
Any way if you are ever in the area look up my details on this site and give me a call.

DGate

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I belive it's 207, that's what my local dealer told me anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I am another UK owner. :)

On the Honda UK website news section, they quote 369 Insights sold in Europe from 1999 to 2003. As far as I know, Honda only sold the Insight in the UK and Germany and I remember a figure of only 70 Insights being sold in the UK. I wonder if the DVLA could tell us? I have only seen two Insights on my travels, not including Mark's.

This thread reminds me, I must re-organise the UK (& European) Insight Owners Day.....

·
Registered
348 Posts
The number of Insights imported to Germany in 2000 (they were NEVER sold officially) differs. The numbers I've got are either 100, 120 or 140.

If the 207 sold vehicles in the uk were correct, it would make it 162 Insights in Germany. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
165,000... I can't have updated the site for a while then, the clocks around 230,000 at the moment and it's still running pretty well.

The main problem I have with my Civic is rust... oh and fuel economy which were my two main reasons for going for the Insight.

·
Registered
348 Posts
230.000 miles ????? :shock:

Nearly 400.000 kms with an engine that's got around 100hp per litre. ( 1,6l - 150-160 hp )
:shock: :shock:
I cannot believe :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Marylebone, London and drive a 2001 Quantum Grey (silver) Insight. Bought because I need to go through congestion zone on a regular basis and for sheer novelty value. 18 months later I can say, without reservation, it's the best car I've ever owned. I absolutely love it. Upgraded the stereo and speakers and bought the Insight floormats.

Seen four others about on my travels. A red one, a light blue and a couple of citrus yellows. Two beeped and the other two waved. Big grins all round :)

Taking this thread further.....with the British Isles and the easy links to Europe, us Brits have great touring options. Where's your Insight been then?
Mine's been across to France several times and once to Italy. Here in Blighty, it's been all over the South West, on the Isle of Wight Ferry (where I was bombarded by questions from passengers) and all over East Anglia too. Haven't ventured up North yet but plan on driving her to Liverpool and a week in Lake District too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm another UK one - mine's a Silverstone Y reg running aroung Gloucestershire.

There's at least one other Insight that I occassionaly see around here; I must confess that the first time I saw it I went home and checked nobody has nicked my car.....

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
gcbritton said:
I was bombarded by questions
I often get approached by strangers asking about the car as well. I put together a fact sheet to hand out to those curious about the Insight. I can e-mail it to you if you want (or anyone else interested) - makes life a lot easier than giving a ten minute speech each time. A wad of A4 handouts also fits nicely in the net pocket behind the front seats!

In answer to your question, I have also been around the UK in my Insight and I am planning a trip around Northern Europe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm also a very happy UK owner of an Insight. Best investment I ever made. Still have'nt seen another in the two months I've owned it. I'm about to go LPG/CNG soon as I now have most of the parts required. Got a bit of a bashing last time I mentioned going CNG from US members but for them LPG is similar price and they got the wrong end of the stick when I mentioned CNG for reasons for cylinder weight and having to uprate the rear supension etc. But my plan is to suppliment running on petrol much the same way as as the integrated electic motor suppliments the existing ICE. My round trip commuting of just 80 miles would benefit from a small capacity CNG tank equivalant to just 4 or 5 liters or even less. I'm not doing any of this to falsely show a higher LMPG (82.3mpg at the moment with the standard set-up) but to just reduce my running cost and to give as little tax as possible to "Blairs" lot............ Filing a CNG tank from your UK domestic houshold gas supply, would equate to around 9 to 12 pence a liter. Now that's worth aiming for surely..................................

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
At that price for GNC I'd do it. I had a 1980 Prelude converted to CNC and loved it. Yes I did caution you about the weight issue, but if you have the skills and proper equipment I would be very pleased to hear about your experience. Go for it! What parts are you still looking for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
new!

Hi, I'm a new owner... I haven't picked it up yet, but its citrus yellow & will be living in Somerset. All help welcome, especially battery knowledge. Look forward to enjoying ownership. So how many WERE sold in the UK, did you work it out? And where is my best start for general knowledge on here?

·
Administrator
12,105 Posts
Welcome

Hi

Have you bought one of the ones on e-bay/autotrader? Which one how much if you don't mind us asking?

FYI there are about 255 MK1 Insights in UK according to DVLA.

Read all you can on here to learn about things like Recal's, hypermileing, lean burn. I spent weeks reading stuff on here before I finally bought a car.

ASFAIK there are probably about 10 active UK members on here, with about another 20 or so occasional visistors. Perhaps 10-15% of UK owners are registered.

Peter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great! It was £4600 from Alan Gibson in Basingstoke. 64250 miles, from someone in Brighton. Pick up next Saturday - getting excited!

·
Registered
821 Posts
UK cars

Well I almost purchased 2000 model year (X registration) car with Vin number 7, I also looked at car 13 and then 2001 model year car GX02JBM, I eventually purchased a 2000 year car Vin 85,. The VOSA recall for the headlamp switch applied to 2000 year cars 0007 to 0091 so perhaps there are (or were) 85 cars imported for 1999/2000.

GX02JBM was from 2001, a part of the Vin number designates year of manufacture so Honda must have sent over another batch for sale that year.

Car 13 was registered as a 53 plate, it was a 2000 year car but sat in Honda Chiswick for several years before sale

1 - 20 of 24 Posts