Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK folks, I've applied for a club stand at the Gaydon Festival of Transport on 28th May - the primary stipulations being that you get there by 10 and stay until 4pm... in which case, the vehicle and 2 guest passes will be free (instead of the usual £14 per person fee). Depending on how many we get, we may need to apply for individual vehicle entrance, which will cost £7 (but still include 2 tickets).

More info: https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/events/gaydon-festival-of-transport-1

So, please let me know if you're going to be there; I'll then let you know if you get the tickets for nothing or if you need to apply.

The arrangements: Meet at 0915 at the entrance to the Motor Museum site (here)

Cheers!

Ewan

List of who's going...
1. Ewan + Kirsten
2. charidot - Charles
3. UK_MJN - Per + Marian
4. retepsnikrep - Peter
5. Rory57 - Rory
6. johnnyvtec - Jonny

That's it for the pre-supplied passes. If anyone else signs up then I'll call the museum and see if we can get any more to collect on the day.

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
Hi Ewan
I've also kept the date clear so please count me in.

I'm going to have to clean it now...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Any more takers? I've got 6x free car passes, and that will get 2x free entry tickets per car too.

It would make sense for us to show up in convoy and they want us there by 0930 so I'd propose meeting at 0915 at the entrance to the motor museum (there may be a kind of layby/club meet area, but there should also be room to rendezvous just past the first gate, where you'd go left to go to JLR and straight on to the museum).

https://goo.gl/maps/fPZ5oyMmfcL2

Note: if there are more than 6 cars want to go, I may be able to get some more passes but will need to know ASAP so please add your name to the list if you're planning to come along...

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
OK I will attend from Hull.
Cu all there at around 09:00.

If anyone want's me to bring gadgets, OBDIIC&C, IMAC&C P&P, boxes of new battery sticks etc now is the time to ask.... :)

Thanks for organising it..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Date is unexpectedly available to me so I will be there (solo). Be good to meet folk etc!

X981 CBL, Blue,

Cheers, Rory

·
Registered
642 Posts
OK I will attend from Hull.
Cu all there at around 09:00.

If anyone want's me to bring gadgets, OBDIIC&C, IMAC&C P&P, boxes of new battery sticks etc now is the time to ask.... :)

Thanks for organising it..
I wouldn't mind a later PIC and software for my OBD2C&C and also you can have a go at my SRS light :D

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
Whew!

Just back from an excellent and surprisingly sunny UK meet.

Ewan did a super job organizing and even got us a parade lap of the show ring and did a brief interview to explain the car. What's more he actually managed to get some in interesting information when the microphone was pushed under his nose, like the fact that the 6 cars lined up had covered a million miles.

There was a tea van, Mr Whippy Ice creams and Emergency Services on hand. What more do you need?

A few 'photos to set the scene:

Attachments

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
More 'photos

Not forgetting that there were some rather tasty cars in the museum itself. Cudos to anyone stateside who can name the first two cars...

Peter also showed his super capacitor setup - amazingly simple and compact, usually a sign of greatness. Shame he set off to leave with his passenger door open, eh ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, a good day, and very good to meet y'all.
And good to hear another Insight run - I had only seen two others in the metal ever (and of course bought the first one I tried)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Not forgetting that there were some rather tasty cars in the museum itself. Cudos to anyone stateside who can name the first two cars...
I'll have a go from Canada and guess one is the MG EX 181, the 255 mph land speed record car of the fifties. Is this the same one with 1489cc producing c290 bhp @ 7000 rpm Supercharged MGA Twin cam? May have made it over to Utah.
"In 1957 the MG Car Company arrived at the Bonneville Salt Flats with an unusually shaped vehicle and legendary racing driver Stirling Moss. The car was called the MG EX 181 and it was entered into the Class F land-speed series for cars with engines between 1.1 and 1.5 litres."

...and the vehicle with the aerodynamic hump turning to a fin behind the driver, possibly a LeMans car: 1955? JAGUAR D-TYPE 'LONG NOSE' ??

No doubt many great examples of automotive engineering to be seen. Wish I could have been there!

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
Great day, nice to meet up with all.
Weather was superb..
Museum was very interesting..
Ewan has been elected the group spokesman :)

We now have a todo list for next year..

Get some tee shirts done.
Get some info display boards done.
Get a display flag...
Bring some seats and a gazebo next time..

Yes I think my door was open as I left but once I had shut it I still managed 94.5mpg on the 60mph+ 160 mile motorway trip home..

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers guys, nice to see you all yesterday!

The other view from the parade interview ;-)
The adoring hordes were clearly impressed by our amazing display...

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
...and the vehicle with the aerodynamic hump turning to a fin behind the driver, possibly a LeMans car: 1955? JAGUAR D-TYPE 'LONG NOSE' ??

No doubt many great examples of automotive engineering to be seen. Wish I could have been there!
It is a D-type, but you're not quite close enough! :D

I'll give you a clue. It spent most of its racing life in the US, raced by the Cunningham team...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It is a D-type, but you're not quite close enough! :D

I'll give you a clue. It spent most of its racing life in the US, raced by the Cunningham team...
...how about this guess, via wiki search: of entrant, assume year 55 painted marking; and a car on loan from factory works info, hence it was returned:

" In 1955, for example, a 1954 works car on loan to Cunningham won the Sebring 12 Hours in the hands of Mike Hawthorn and Phil Walters, "

Searching for confirmation, it appears the number of that car was number 19 though, second place of other marque was #25. So still some confusion here.

Please do tell!

·
3,641 Posts

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
Very cool! You guys did awesome.
Thanks! We can't compete with US gatherings, but I am wearing your T-shirt in Peter's photo...

AbCaRed00: it's XKD605, which carries the trade plate number 393 RW and won at Reims in 1956, finished sixth at LeMans in 1956 (carrying race number 1) and was 3rd at Sebring 12 hours in 1957 in American colours of Blue/white/red. I suspect the '55' sticker is a Goodwood Festival of Speed number rather than the year, as it's a '56 car.

Attachments

·
3,641 Posts
Thanks! We can't compete with US gatherings, but I am wearing your T-shirt in Peter's photo...

Some of our best meets have been smaller venues with emphasis on socializing, cookouts, or visits to museums/ships...similar recipe to what you guys enjoyed.
And for arguably the best meet last year, we focused on the International theme and lured Peter, Igor, and Natalya from abroad.
Hoping to meet you all in person one day...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts