Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Michelin make a tyre specially for electric vehicles. The Compact 2 replaces the original Compact and the Proxima tyre. The Proxima was used by VW on an electric concept car and its rolling resistance was 25% less than the Michelin Energy. It sounds ideal for the Insight the only question is can 145 section tyres fit on 5.5" rims. I cant find details on the Compact but the Michelin website has info on the Proxima and its LRR.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/front ... CH&lang=EN

Michelin 145/65 R 14 70S 'Compact 2' (Michelin stock code:
271740). This tyre size/tread pattern is presently stocked within Europe, carrying a 3 to 4 week delivery delay to any tyre distributor with a Michelin account, such as ATS Euromaster, Kwik-Fit, National Tyres, Costco etc.

I might be tempted the next time I need some new tyres

John

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That 145/65R14 tire has a diameter that is 1" smaller then the Insight 165/65R14 so the speedometer and all the mpg readings on the dash will be wrong by 5%.
This small tire would not roll over small bumps as easily prducting less then ideal rolling resistance on all but the smoothest of roads.

The most important factors to consider is safety and braking performance. Keep in mind is that this small tire has a load rating of 70 (739lbs) while the OEM Insight tire has a load rating of 78 (937lbs).

It's worth trying if you never carry any weight other then yourself and the roads in your area are smooth.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you try them please post your results. I'd be somewhat afraid to use them for saftey purposed like Guillermo said, but I'm personally thinking it'd be awsome for use on a NEV (neighborhood electric vehicle). I've been experimenting running Insight tires on them a little bit with some really good results.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I tried some 145/80 goodyear tires once. THey were not as good as the bridgestones but that can be mounted. They had to do the (explosive mount thing or what ever you call it when they use a flamable gas to rapidly expand the tire) to get them to seat. Have fun, Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts