Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to tell everyone about what I consider the best road for an Insight. It is called the Natchez Trace Parkway. It runs from the southwestern edge of Nashville Tenn to Natchez Miss. It is around 500 miles long. It is only 2 lanes wide but the speed limit is 50 MPH and it is heavly patrolled by federal park rangers with rader. The whole thing is a national park and is one of my favorite roads in the US. As you go south it has rolling hills in the northern part and then crosses the Tenn river and heads into MS and then levels out all the way to Natchez MS. The best thing that I like about it is that you don't get run over by people wanting to go 15-20 MPH over the speed limit and semi-trucks are BANNED from using it. There are no stop lights or stop signs the entire lenth of it so you can go 50 MPH and never have to slow down. The last time I took this road was saddly 4 years ago when I was coming back to Dallas from West Tenn and was trying to avoid I-30 between Little Rock and Texarcanna which had about 15-20 construction zones. I took it from Tupelo MS to Jackson MS which was 175 miles. I have been on it many times before that in my CRX HF when I lived in that area. Anyone who lives in the area near it needs to check it out if they can. I got 79.5 MPH on my first try and that was before I had 45lbs of air in my tires and Mobil 1 oil in my engine and included the 130 miles I drove on a regular highway to get on it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Oh, I've got a better one than that: I80 from Donner Summit (the pass at the top of the Sierra Nevada) west to Sacramento. Now I've never actually driven it in the Insight (not having much reason to go to the Bay Area these days), but about 15 years ago I used to drive it most weekends in an '84 Subaru. Being a starving student in those days, I would shut off the engine at the summit, and except for one or two short uphills, could maintain over the speed limit most of the way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Haven't taken the Insight on it:

...but in the spring and fall, the road through Death Valley has got to be good for the Insight; long, stop-free and also two-lanes. Rather philosophical in its nothingness, too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
my favorite road

My vote goes to US 264 in eastern NC. If you drive on the business portion vs. the bypass there is very little traffic. There are signs that read
"The Road Less Traveled". I can usually get around 105-110 mpg on the 150 mile stretch from Manteo, NC to Pactolus, NC where the business portion ends. A nice scenic drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts