Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2005 AT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heard a loud "bang" from something hitting the bottom of the car then a violent rattle (going 65 mph). The rattle stopped when I got down below 45 mph. Drove it home under 45.
Found the splash shield was missing a couple bolts. "Honda" tightened a bolt, added a couple of zip-ties and said a couple other "connectors" could not be fixed. No charge!! They had changed the oil/filter a couple of weeks earlier!!! I think the "missing" bolts had come loose and dropped out completely (two "big bangs")!!
Rattle began again at 45+ mph. Honda said could not fix.. must replace!!
Anyone know a source for the two under engine plastic shield pieces.. plus bolts?

FYI: I ordered the one-piece aluminum one from Scott today (06/04)!

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
646 Posts
I may have the plastic pieces, sans bolts, however. Let me check.

However, your better play is to contact Scott Kulbeck, a/k/a KLR3CYL on this forum and purchase his aluminum one piece belly pan, with hardware.

This is a far superior solution than going with the original Honda stuff.

My CVT picked up about 3 mpg from adding Scott's belly pan. Being one piece, as opposed to Honda's three, it seems aerodynamically cleaner, although I have no test data on that.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,420 Posts
Contact SCOTT here:

For this:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't get why anyone would want these cheap plastic covers under their cars. It makes servicing the undercarriage like oil changes a pain in the butt, deep snow and light debris like sticks and other things rip them apart. They squeak and make noises when not fitted properly...

I tore mine off 5 years ago and have daily driven mine in the rain and snow with no issues. I had my idler pulley start making noise a few years ago. Was it related to removing all these plastics? maybe.

I personally would lose the 1 mpg and pocket the money a new underbody panel set would cost you and just tear your old worn out pieces off and throw em in the trash.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
They reduce wind noise quite a bit however. I had mine off after doing an oil chance to make sure my idle pulley was adjusted right before putting it back on. It was noticeably louder

·
Super Moderator
1,986 Posts
Good morning,

This last winter I got a message from an owner who purchased one of my panels. He was from Wisconsin, he had not had panels for quite sometime.
He said, I installed your panel and my car now warms up properly in the winter.
I was surprised as I had never thought about it helping warm up the car and no one had every commented on that before.
As I thought about it, it made some sense. With no lower engine panels on the car, the magnesium oil pan is exposed to the ambient air and when the car is moving down the road it is now being blasted by the cold air, effectively causing wind chill on the oil pan.

I think lower engine covering is more important than most people might think.

Scott

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I don't get why anyone would want these cheap plastic covers under their cars...
fyi, in stock form there's 2 plastic covers and one aluminum cover. Scott's aftermarket is a 1 piece aluminum.

The reasons are probably something like this:

-reduces aerodynamic drag, probably worth more than just 1 MPG on average, maybe up to 3? 5? depending on blend of hwy vs. city driving.
-helps facilitate proper engine heating and cooling, maintain proper temp
-keeps engine bay dry(er) and clean(er)

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
You forgot to mention---Looks really cool!

Sam

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I was surprised even at 70 the massive difference in noise from just putting on that panel that I left off for my serpentine belt adjustment, brand new belt stretched on me lol. I wonder how much benefit noise wise would be seen from running a full underbody panel.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I personally would lose the 1 mpg and pocket the money a new underbody panel set would cost you and just tear your old worn out pieces off and throw em in the trash.

I'll pay a few bucks plus shipping for ones in good condition.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I bought a car in Missouri a few years ago. The number one main selling point was it had Scott’s under Pan on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had mine torn off by going through a deep puddle a little too fast. Tried driving it without them and was surprised at the difference at highway speeds.

My cheap fix was to drill holes in the panels near the attachment points and zip tie everything together.

It is actually quicker to take them off for oil changes since all I have to do is snip the ties. It take a few extra minutes to put them back on but have never had any issue with them coming loose or rattling at any speed.
Joseph

Heard a loud "bang" from something hitting the bottom of the car then a violent rattle (going 65 mph). The rattle stopped when I got down below 45 mph. Drove it home under 45.
Found the splash shield was missing a couple bolts. "Honda" tightened a bolt, added a couple of zip-ties and said a couple other "connectors" could not be fixed. No charge!! They had changed the oil/filter a couple of weeks earlier!!! I think the "missing" bolts had come loose and dropped out completely (two "big bangs")!!
Rattle began again at 45+ mph. Honda said could not fix.. must replace!!
Anyone know a source for the two under engine plastic shield pieces.. plus bolts?
View attachment 90819

FYI: I ordered the one-piece aluminum one from Scott today (06/04)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts