Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
All three of mine were missing from under the engine (the metal one attached to the bumper and two half pieces under the engine.

Flamboyant Seller sent me all three for $35 + shipping. They were obviously used, not new, but were in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
All three of mine were missing from under the engine (the metal one attached to the bumper and two half pieces under the engine.

Flamboyant Seller sent me all three for $35 + shipping. They were obviously used, not new, but were in pretty good shape.
Sounds like a great deal, I just needed the front right one, and local large dealership had it for about forty bucks the next day. I'd considered FS, but shipping would have been a drag all considered. I'm hoping the recent issues have been successfully resolved from some others' recent dissatisfied transactions from that source.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Sorry I was not clear on what I need. I need the part number for the plastic fastener that holds the center panels on. The fasteners are near the middle of the car, near where the exhaust runs. Maybe it is item 68, or possibly 48 from the pictorial. The pictorial is not clear. If it is item 68 I would have thought they would have had a line from the item to the location. Can anyone confirm that item 68 is what I need?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Sorry I was not clear on what I need. I need the part number for the plastic fastener that holds the center panels on. . ....
If it is item 68 I would have thought they would have had a line from the item to the location. Can anyone confirm that item 68 is what I need?
Thanks.
If you observe the lines that are in the illustration in the post above, taken from Majestic Honda website, you will notice the lines that group items run at a shallow angle. The squared edges of many of the items in the projection also follow about the same angle.
Follow an imaginary line similar to those angles and look for the circle in the center of the panel. That should give you a good clue. If they did need to draw a line to it, likely it would be parallel to that of the line above 31.
If you read the description, 68 is a bumper clip. Compare it to those plastic parts to confirm. Three bucks a pop.
There are pics linked behind the part numbers, click to see a pic if that helps.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just damaged two panels last week during the last snowstorm we had in Connecticut. The car is in the shop right now and front and left middle panels are costing me $218 to replace for parts and labor.

I hope I don't have to replace any more panels ever again.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I can't talk about the underbody panel itself, but like the earlier poster said, everything counts.

I had lost the driver side "air dam" that sits in front of the tire, and also the inner fender. (I hit some road debris...)

I've been doing some long distance commuting (700 plus miles each way) on Interstate 80. With the damage, my mpg was hovering around the 50 mpg number. Once I replaced them I slid up to the 60 range. This all at "highway speeds"....

(I also pulled off a 70 mpg trip, but in that one I kept my eye on the display the whole time, drove in the Carter speed range, and despite teh weather, kept my a/c off. I ain't doing that again).

Oh, a picture of my mileage display on that last trip:
http://www.panix.com/~dannyb/images/mich-to-nyc.jpg

(2001 CVT)
I am missing all of my underbody panels including the front air dams. I found a good article that talks about the importance of the air dams.

Supposedly the front tires make up the biggest drag under the car.

This post always surprised me as he claimed a 5-10mpg difference when installing only 1 of those missing panels.

I have recently ordered the full set of underbody panels and will be testing how much of a difference they all make.

here is a good article on underbody panels. When modifying a early prius under body panels he was able to notice a 10% difference. And the prius already had underbody panels to begin with.

Browser Warning

Browser Warning

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
I noted a 2-3% reduction in TPS percentages after installing my panel. This easily translated to a 4-7MPG improvement at 50MPG, depending on road grade.

·
6,916 Posts
Damaging the panels in snow is common. I've seen people recommend taking them off during the winter if you live in an area that sees deep snow.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I noted a 2-3% reduction in TPS percentages after installing my panel. This easily translated to a 4-7MPG improvement at 50MPG, depending on road grade.
Jeff, that is a really good improvement but what panels did you have before you installed your 1 peice panel? Did you have any underbody panels? Did you have both strakes?

I have absolutely no strakes, or any of the 3 peices of aluminum and plastic body panels under my car. Including the bumper not screwed in at the bottom. I am hoping for a 10MPG increase in my MPG after I install all of my panels and fix the bumper.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Jeff, that is a really good improvement but what panels did you have before you installed your 1 peice panel? Did you have any underbody panels? Did you have both strakes?

I have absolutely no strakes, or any of the 3 peices of aluminum and plastic body panels under my car. Including the bumper not screwed in at the bottom. I am hoping for a 10MPG increase in my MPG after I install all of my panels and fix the bumper.
I had one (pass) of the two strakes, zero under engine panels, and both under body panels prior to installing my aluminum sheet

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Just installed all underbody panels including 2 strakes.

I can say it makes a world of a difference. I notice things that were never possible before. Many of these differences are not only at highway speeds, but also at 30MPH or 40MPH, and maybe even lower.

This really fits with the 3rd post in thread, where someone replaced a missing strake and noticed a 10MPG improvement. Did not think it was possible until now.

Here are some noticable improvements:

When driving at 40MPH, I can cruise at 100+ MPG and actually accelerate.

I can cruise at 60MPH at 100+MPG and actually maintain speed and many times actually increase speed! This was almost impossible before the underbody panels. Before the underbody panels, only way to hit 100MPG was to slowly lose speed, now i maintain it or actually accelerate!

Car feels much more powerful when accelerating on the highway.

My old 100MPG lean burn numbers are now like 125-150MPG. I was actually maintaining speed at 150MPG today at 35-40MPH on flat ground! Damn amazing.

This car just seems to want to roll forever now, like nothing is stopping it. I misjudge now when to let off the gas and roll to a stop, making me have to slam on the breaks to slow down. Since the car has so much less resistance pushing on it from the front, I am still treating the car like I had no underbody panels. So now I can basically let off the gas much earlier and roll much further and maintain speed. Just amazing.

When coming down a long hill in Neutral, before my car would seem to quickly fall to 50MPH, then slowly drop to 30MPH. Now my car falls to 60MPH and slowly drops to 40MPH.

The underbody panels, most notably the 2 strakes in front of the front tires, are so very important on this car. I think it has something to do with the wind resistance on the rotating front tires.

I can guess that because of being able to hit lean burn so much more easily in the car, that the underbody panels (including the strakes) may account for a 10MPG or more boost when trying to max out your MPG. Probably more in the order of 10-20MPG boost when trying to max out MPG and driving conservative. I say this because lean burn is now 125-150 vs 100. Plus the fact that you will hit lean burn much more easily and often.

I still need more time to know what my final MPG improvement numbers are.

If anyone needs any help with locating the part numbers for the underbody panels let me know. I spent hours figuring out how to piece all these parts together and ordered over 70 different parts to fit these panels together. The strakes also have some screws mislabled on the honda website blowup diagram.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Very cool! Now I am excited to get my bumper painted and get that last strake on!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would love to have some help in identifying what I need to make the underside of my car complete (what the heck is a "strake" anyways???)

See video:

Am I just missing the center large plastic panel? If that's all I need, does anyone know a part number and good place (online or store front chain) to get a good deal on the piece of plastic?

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
I would love to have some help in identifying what I need to make the underside of my car complete (what the heck is a "strake" anyways???)

See video:
'02 Honda Insight - Name that missing underbody panel! - YouTube

Am I just missing the center large plastic panel? If that's all I need, does anyone know a part number and good place (online or store front chain) to get a good deal on the piece of plastic?
The strake is the plastic thing that hangs off of the front bumper in front of each front tire. From the video looks like you have both. Your under body panels appear intact also. You need the three under engine panels, one aluminum, two plastic. See this thread for a better alternative:

LINK: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/20269-work-progress-diy-under-panel.html

My version:

As you can see I have the passenger side strake, but my driver side is (still) missing . . .

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I just put in like 3-5 hours of research into these parts so I know exactly what you need.

(Quantity)

1 screw to attach strake to front bumper, looks like you have clip still there.
(1) 93903-253G0 SCREW, TAPPING (5X16)

You are missing the beam cover that runs along the back.
(1) 74117-S3Y-000 BEAM, COVER (LOWER)

1 bolts to hold the beam cover (looks like you still have 1 still there)
(1) 93404-06016-05 BOLT-WASHER (6X16)

plastic under body panels, left and right
(1) 74119-S3Y-000 COVER, R. ENGINE (LOWER)
(1) 74169-S3Y-000 COVER, L. ENGINE (LOWER)

aluminum under body panel
(1) 74115-S3Y-000 COVER, FR. (LOWER)

2 bolts to bolt in front aluminum body panel to front brackets
(2) 93404-06016-05 BOLT-WASHER (6X16)

12 of these bolts to bolt in the 3 under body panels
(12) 90133-S3Y-000 BOLT, FLANGE (6X20)

2 of these clips to clip the plastic under body panels to aluminum under body panel
(2) 91513-S3Y-000 CLIP, FR. COVER (LOWER)

3 of these clips,(2 will bolt aluminum under body panel to those front brackets. You are missing the clips on that bracket. The other is for the one you are missing. You seem to have the rest of these clips, but they look very rusted. You may want to replace them. They should work however because I used a couple of my rusted ones )
(3) 90305-SM4-000 NUT, AIR SPOILER CLIP

To me it seems that you are missing 1 screw on the driver side strake, make sure that the other 7 screws are in place, and the other strake has all 8 screws.

I would recommend you order from www.1hondaparts.com. This place was the cheapest out of majestichonda,hondapartsnow, and others. They also got my order 100% accurate unlike majestic, and they were fast to ship me everything. Could not recommend them more, and they are the cheapest to boot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does someone have a picture of what underneath the car should look like, stock and unmodified, with all the OEM panels attached?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks insightbuyer for putting in the time to put the list together. I'm going to order basically everything as far as the underbody panels are concerned. I don't remember ever seeing the aluminum panel under there and the plastic ones are a bit warped and ragged. Below is what I have so far:
1 COVER, R. ENGINE (LOWER)
Product ID: 74119-S3Y-000-Honda

1 COVER, L. ENGINE (LOWER)
Product ID: 74169-S3Y-000-Honda

1 BEAM, COVER (LOWER)
Product ID: 74117-S3Y-000-Honda

4 BOLT-WASHER (6X16)
Product ID: 93404-06016-05-Honda

2 SCREW, TAPPING (5X16)
Product ID: 93903-253G0-Honda

1 COVER, FR. (LOWER)
Product ID: 74115-S3Y-000-Honda

12 BOLT, FLANGE (6X20)
Product ID: 90133-S3Y-000-Honda

2 CLIP, FR. COVER (LOWER)
Product ID: 91513-S3Y-000-Honda

8 NUT, AIR SPOILER CLIP
Product ID: 90305-SM4-000-Honda

Does this look like everything or is there something I may be overlooking?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
diamond larry, those parts I listed was exactly what porshuh needed above to get his panels complete. Look at his video above to see exactly what he is missing.

I would need you to take a few pictures under your car to see exactly what you are missing.

You may not need alot of these parts. You say you have plastic panels still attached? If so you do not need the beam cover, and many of those clips.

Best to take pictures of everything under the front of your car and I can tell you exactly what you will need. No reason to order those parts if you still have many of them left.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
34 Participants
mikec1701
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing