Honda Insight Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can anyone verify I have the correct part selected to replace the one in the photo? They include a fastening point for the underbody panels, and my right side one has a hole worn where the fastener should go. I dont have much in the way of tools or ability to repair it.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, but it’s not necessary to replace that part, you can do what killer3cylinder mentioned by bending a piece of metal over that hole. You could cut a piece of thick plastic and glue it to the top and connect the circlip to it and put hole in it to attach to body panel.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
^I'd tend to agree with that - if the stock holes on this panel to which you connect the under engine tray are bad, there's like a dozen ways to fix it without having to replace the whole panel... If only one hole on one panel is enlarged, you can probably just skip it. I think I have only one connection on one of those panels, no biggie...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Since you are installing that one piece body panel Scott made it would be fine but I like to make it right and yet, one hole won’t matter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
And then... while you were passing that other
car, you heard a Nash Rambler going beep-beep.
“Hey Buddy, how do you get this thing out of second gear?”

Points awarded for obscure pop music reference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the repair suggestions. Scott mentioned the bent-metal-piece repair method during my inspection as well. If I had a garage or shop with bits and tools I could use, I might do it. The replacement part is not expensive at $26. I'm also conscious of preserving parts availability for others that may not have the option to repair it.

On the other hand, I feel it's time to do a reset on the seemingly inevitable process of decline, as parts degrade and fasteners go missing over time. I've been living with missing fasteners and kludgy repairs of those panels for years and many hundreds of thousands of miles, sometimes leading to further problems.

Last month one of the plastic underside panels came loose during a 200-mile trip, rubbing on the pavement for miles before I could safely take a look at it-- another broken hole & missing repair clip & fastener. The only thing I could do was to run a bungee cord between fender & bumper in order to hold it up. By the time I got to a mechanic, the best he could do was to just remove the damaged panel completly. This is how I got to buying the one-piece panel from Scott.

In previous years I've had panels detached/damaged on dirt roads, seen the tabs on the front aluminum piece improperly "untucked" at the bumper, and just noticed with missing fasteners and other partly-repaired holes. So I'm ready for a complete reset to factory condition (better with the one-piece panel) and all the mount points at work.

Scott actually mentioned he likes to add two additional fastening points (near the rear) to the cars he installs his aluminum pans on-- a goal of mine as well now.

So anyway... this Insight's going to get treated to a new thingamajig.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
34 Participants
mikec1701
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing