Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I have a 2004 Insight and I was wondering if anyone out there has goten an undercoating on theirs. With all of the snow and salt here in the northeast I have a fear of the bottom of my car just slowly rotting away. Does anyone know if there is a reason that undercoating should not be done on the Insight?

Thanks,
Nelson

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Ummm, aluminum body?

Yes, there are some steel suspension components that you may slow the rusting process if undercoated, but this would be an unusual "job".
Read: having such a "specialized" application of undercoat done correctly will be the biggest challenge since its not routinely done.

Unlike the thin steel sheet metal that is used in body parts these components are several times thicker. Any rust problem is _many_ years in the future.

Doable, yes. Desirable, yes. But the biggest factor is getting it done right else little or no benefit will be realized. And the benefit will be much farther in the future vs. undercoating a "standard" steel sheet metal car.

Undercoating the aluminum parts? Nearly worthless.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Undercoating is completely pointless. Alluminum only gets stronger when it oxidizes. It forms a layer of alluminum oxide on the surface which becomes more solid and does not flake or chip off like rust.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Although aluminum has great corrosion resistance properties on its own, it is possible that the thick magnesium casting forming the bottom of the engine (oilpan) will act as a galvanic corrosion inhibitor, as it is more reactive than the aluminum body. There aren't very many cars out there with aluminum bodies, so it is difficult to get real world examples. A friend has a 25 year old VW Rabbit and the aluminum bumper still looks great, although there is a lot of rust on the Rabbit elsewere.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you are planning on keeping your car for over 10 years it can be a good idea to get an oil pray undercoating every 2 years or so.
These oil coatings protect the steel parts, specially helping prevent the hardware from seizing. Seized bolts increase the cost of repairs. And another significant reason for Hybrids is that quality oil sprays also protect electrical components such as connectors and wiring from corroding. Most electrical issues that older cars develop is caused by corrosion in the wiring.

Considering that the Insight Body can easily last over 30 years, wouldn't be nice to help the rest of it last as long as possible?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts