yet the center bolt was not holding
the panel, making the panels rattle.
I took the car back to the dealer.
They were so glad to see me...
'Oh, we'll replace the panels,
no charge. Bring it in next week'.
I did and they replaced them
with what looks like metal panels.
Not only that but it rattles worse than ever.
2.I have tried looking for other incidences of this
in this 'problems and troubleshooting' area
to see if others have had this problem.
It has been difficult for me to
find anything on this board.
These two difficulties have
led me to a bit of frutration.

Deep breeth... ha, that's better.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

with kindness,
Rick K

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Another reported cause of rattling is a rusted catalytic converter shield.

Two of the shields under the engine are plastic and the front one is aluminum. I'm very surprised if the plastic ones have been replaced with aluminum, but that would not necessarily make them rattle if they are the correct sise/shape if all fasteners are in place. You'll have to do a little investigation to discover the actual source. Try knocking on the panels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Was this the same dealer that stripped your oil pan on a previous visit??
It's hard to believe that they would replace the panels if only a bolt was missing!
Like b1shmu63 said, check it out and peck on the panels. Some fasteners must not be installed or are loose.

Or it could be the cat shield. Coincidence????:badgrin:

I think I would be looking for a different place for service!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are several fasteners needed to hold the panels in place. Also, the panels fit together with an interlocking mechanism (offset tongues). If not done properly, the panels could rattle.

Replace the panels because of missing bolts? What did they replace them with? I'm not aware of Honda changing the panels from plastic to metal. IIRC you should have a metal panel in the front (connected to the bumper) and plastic panels just behind it on both sides. The plastic panels are bolted to a plastic "hanger" on each side and to an aluminum crossbar in the rear. If they managed to destroy the fasteners embedded in the plastic hangers, then maybe they would need to replace some parts, but it should have been done with OEM parts.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Aurora; this is unbelievable! Take the car back once again, and insist on the correct panels; 2 black resin and one aluminum. It needs to be stock, just like it used to be. These panels should be fastened exactly like original, and interlocked properly.

This is one example of why I encourage people to change your own oil, and get to know the car well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
FWIW, when I bought my used '04 Insight almost exactly a year ago somone had installed the center panel upside down, and it was bent all to hell as well. Plus, the outer underspoiler panels (called "strakes") had never been installed, indeed they were in the undertrunk bin, still in the shrink wrap from the factory. They were supposed to have been installed during pre-delivery by the selling dealer.

I'm sure the techs hate the damn panels and pay no attention to how they're supposed to be installed. I do my own maintenance anyway, so by now they're second nature to remove & reinstall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts