Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I am a Hybrid owner from Baku, Azerbaijan. As an experienced HCH driver for 6 years and recently became an owner of Insight Gen2 from US. The first thing I have noticed is unstable RPMs while starting to drive and it happens especially in cold engine. Like I have got egg shapes wheels. After getting some speed it goes out. It is so irritative. Seems CVT has to be calibrated.
Please, help if anyone knows the procedure.

Thanks in advance, Vugar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unfortunately that is a normal behavior. In the morning when you start the engine, put in reverse and wait 10 sec, and then put in D and wait another 10 sec.
This will help you lowering the rpm when you take off.
For calibration of the CVT try this:

On a flat road, reach 37mph....and then rise your foot from the pedal and let the car crawl until reaches 4mph and remain there.
This will recalibrate the CVT. Obviously you have to find a road where you can do this...
I remember the first time I did this....the cvt behaviour improved a lot.

Inviato dal mio Mi A2 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unfortunately that is a normal behavior. In the morning when you start the engine, put in reverse and wait 10 sec, and then put in D and wait another 10 sec.
This will help you lowering the rpm when you take off.
For calibration of the CVT try this:

On a flat road, reach 37mph....and then rise your foot from the pedal and let the car crawl until reaches 4mph and remain there.
This will recalibrate the CVT. Obviously you have to find a road where you can do this...
I remember the first time I did this....the cvt behaviour improved a lot.

Inviato dal mio Mi A2 utilizzando Tapatalk
I read a few places that when you do this you should turn off the lights turn off the radio turn off the air conditioner Etc. And ironically also I read a few places that you should turn all that stuff on when you do this. I suppose you could try it both ways. Also I read that you might need to do this two or three times to get it to work. I have also read this entire thing might be mythical. Although I did it and it did not seem to hurt anything. Changing the transmission fluid also is a big help. Assuming you have not gone too far between changes.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The problem can also be caused or aggravated by having the wrong type of CVT oil.
Our CVT has a small clutch which partly engages when driving slower than 15 km/h. It should grip more or less constantly, providing a gentle pull on mild throttle. The revs should not go up much.
If you do have erratic RPMs, especially if they go above 2,000 RPM with no pull, then the clutch is slipping.

The most common cause for a slipping clutch is when the wrong CVT oil has been used. Usually CVT oil has a dope that makes it extra sklippery. We cannot use that dope because of the clutch. So you need to make sure that the CVT has been serviced with the right Honda CVT oil for this type of car.
Mine started slipping after its 120,000 km service, when the CVT oil was changed, and returned back to normal at the 160,000 service when it was changed again. Guess what happened there!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the CVT oil just changed to correct type CVTF. Dont think that it is because of oil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts