Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought it would be fun to post any unusual and little known facts about our G1 Insights!!

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've always heard our Insights' oil dipstick shaft is made of carbon fiber, to save that last fraction of an ounce of weight... :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Citrus Question

I noticed that VIN #’s 152/153/154 were all Citrus color. Does anyone know if all the first Insights were Citrus, or produced in series of color batches?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I noticed that VIN #’s 152/153/154 were all Citrus color. Does anyone know if all the first Insights were Citrus, or produced in series of color batches?
Both of my 2000 Insights are Silverstone. Numbers in signature.

·
Registered
24 Posts
At the Marysville Auto Plant (MAP), the cars definitely get made in batches. My memory is that 60 cars in a row that are identical not only in color but trim level also are followed by a different set of 60 cars. Once in a while there would be an oddball single car, but mostly 60.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This unusual Insight was posted by another member of the Facebook group “North American G1 Insighters”. Please note the engine size displayed on the hood.... Also, the left rear deck lid decal is “Honda”....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Chuck Norris once sidekicked an Insight and it acheived escape velocity.

Is that how this works? Instructions unclear.....

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,419 Posts
This unusual Insight was posted by another member of the Facebook group “North American G1 Insighters”. Please note the engine size displayed on the hood.... Also, the left rear deck lid decal is “Honda”....

Honda has made at least 2 promotional Insights that we know about. This one you've linked, if you zoom in you can see the VIN ends with: 200001

The 2 denotes this car was meant for the European market. My understanding is the last 5 digits were reset every model year. We know this is a 2000 because it's citrus, even though the year digit isn't readable in the photos. There is another Insight on here that is now called "Sawbite" with a year code for 2001 and the VIN ends with 800001, door sticker says it was built in October 2000. It may have been modified after it was sent to Canada, but the point is it got special treatment. I think the museum one is more interesting because of the clear hood and the HONDA sticker on the back.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honda has made at least 2 promotional Insights that we know about. This one you've linked, if you zoom in you can see the VIN ends with: 200001

The 2 denotes this car was meant for the European market. My understanding is the last 5 digits were reset every model year. We know this is a 2000 because it's citrus, even though the year digit isn't readable in the photos. There is another Insight on here that is now called "Sawbite" with a year code for 2001 and the VIN ends with 800001, door sticker says it was built in October 2000. It may have been modified after it was sent to Canada, but the point is it got special treatment. I think the museum one is more interesting because of the clear hood and the HONDA sticker on the back.
Does the “X” at the beginning and end of VIN indicate it’s a special promotional car? Also, why does it say 1.3 L on the clear hood?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Does the “X” at the beginning and end of VIN indicate it’s a special promotional car? Also, why does it say 1.3 L on the clear hood?
The citrus Insight you're referring to is in Sydney, Australia. It's the car used by Honda for testing in Australia for compliance purposes. Under the compliance rules that car cannot be sold and after kicking around for a while in Australia and NZ it was donated to the technology museum in Sydney. I don't think it was built as a promotional vehicle.

I can't read the VIN number from the photograph, but all of the (only 7) citrus Insights sold in Australia are 2001 models - and also have the citrus seat panels as in the photographed car. The fact that it is citrus doesn't mean it must be a 2000 model.

I don't know who made the perspex bonnet (hood) for the car but the 1.3 on printed on it is a mistake. I doubt that anyone at the museum knows anything much about the car at all and probably just got that figure from the internet, not realizing that it relates to the G2 Insight.

Happy Insighting!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! Very interesting info. 👍

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A Facebook group member has provided the following image which shows how different parts of the world had different lift gate emblems.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts