Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Where can you find gasoline without ethanol in it?

I can't find it anywhere near where I live... :mad:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I hate that stuff. Ever since they put it in all of the gas, all of my car's gas mileage took a dump. I spoke with my father and he said all of his cars did the same.

The Magic Mechanic show in Orlando talked about adding 1 oz. of Amsoil 2-cycle oil to every 5 gallons of fuel to compensate for the Ethanol being added. As I was driving through Orlando almost a year ago or so and heard him on the radio talking about it. He stated that the very small mix also helps lubricate the fuel pump, which makes sense to me. He said that oil does some chemical reaction to reduce some of the effects caused by the Ethanol that eats up the gas mileage. I had somebody who lives in Orlando recently contact me and tell me that he heard them talking about it again.

When I do my first oil change on my Insight, I will have to order a bottle and test this theory out. I am keeping tabs on the MPG for every single tank. I want to do everything I can to reach an "average" MPG of 50 MPG. My last top off yielded me a paultry 39 MPG and I was not too thrilled. The Amsoil 2-cycle oil is very cheap when you order the tiny bottles, so it's not that big of a deal to add 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 ounces to each tank just to see if it makes a difference or not. If it doesn't do anything, then I'll just not use it anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
I know I am in the minority here on this issue.

But I am pro sustainable and domestic energy and fuels... Ethanol falls into this category.

I will agree there are issues... there is always a con for every pro it seems.

For instance it is not as clean as it is often depicted to be ... or as clean as I would like it to be ... for instance it is very hard to compete with the cleanness of a EV powered from renewable energy ( RE ) sources.

The effect on food prices is very often a bad thing.

The effect on MPG is often discouraging ... but I look at it like this ... If some fictional fuel ( which ethanol isn't this good ) , lowered me down to 10 MPG, but was domestic , sustainable, and as clean as the RE powered EV... I would view it as better than a 200MPG conventional gasoline ... Although even if it were better unless it were at least close to the same price range as gasoline , allot of people probably would not spend the extra money for it.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
I know I am in the minority here on this issue.

But I am pro sustainable and domestic energy and fuels... Ethanol falls into this category.
I too am pro the first part.

Ethanol is only a drop in the bucket maybe in reguards to the first part, with a different set of serious problems.

But I have an ethical issue with burning "food" for fuel. And _any_ plant based alcohol is not carbon neutral, unless acreage currently in production is used (the food issue again). See:

National Science Foundation ethanol carbon study - Google Search

·
Registered
191 Posts
ethanol in gas

I searched around and found a couple of gas station websites that people use to track the availability of ethanol free gas. I don't remember the sites, but was a able to find a couple in my area. Some of the old ones listed are no longer 100% gas, but new ones come up as well. Recently, a common retailer in our area (Kwik Trip) just started offering 100% gas premium at a pump or two at each station. I now use them, so I don't have to drive out of my way. My advice is to search around on the internet.

I also read an article the other day regarding the increase in customer demand for ethanol free gas, and the resulting increase in gas stations offering it. So, even if its not availible to you now, it may be soon.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Most Kansans may not even know they're using more ethanol. Under the law, retailers no longer have to alert consumers that some pumps contain a 10 percent blend of ethanol. It's up to retailers whether to use the labels..."

This quite likely explains the swings in my gas mileage.:mad:

Now I'm just flat pissed off, but thanks for the info fuelmiser. KS weights & measure will hear from me soon and apparently I need to get an alcohol fuel test kit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ethanol in gas

Fuelmiser

I may not know what I am talking about, but it sounds like a bad idea to me to add 2-cycle oil into your tank. Anyone have any more expert opinions on this than I?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Fuelmiser

I may not know what I am talking about, but it sounds like a bad idea to me to add 2-cycle oil into your tank. Anyone have any more expert opinions on this than I?
1-1/2 ounces of that fuel isn't going to make any difference. This is a 100:1 oil that's going in and that's when it's added to 2.5 gallons of fuel. When you add such a small amount to a 10 gallon tank, it should not do any harm at all.

It wasn't even $2 bucks for a small bottle. I don't mind being out $2 bucks.

If it doesn't foul out plugs on a 2-cycle motor using the correct dosage, then putting that small amount should have no problems in 5x the amount of fuel.

Sorry, but I am not such a skeptic and am an open-minded person. I will try just about anything once. If it doesn't work, there's no harm done. I don't follow advice from negative people. It's the positive thinkers who have what helped us advance in technologies today.

And if somebody said that adding a small amount of 2-cycle oil will offset some of the crap that Ethanol does and if it's not expensive to buy, I will try it.

I have some on order and should know if this makes any difference in our cars or not. If it does, that's great. If it doesn't, oh well. Then I lost $2 bucks. B.F.D.

Let's see if we can do some research on this and bust this myth. If it didn't work, I don't see why he would still be talking about it over a year later on the radio.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Found these comments on this form:

2-Cycle oil in gas gives smoother idle and better MPG - MustangForums.com

"It works for me. Better MPG and smoother idle. It also prevents the damage that ethanol **** does to the fuel system. Ethanol dries out any lubricating quality of today's fuel and attracts moisture. 2 cycle oil lubes the valve seats and lubes the cylinder walls. It also cleans the fuel system. 1 oz. Per 5 gallons of fuel."

"You know, I saw this and decided to try it, and this works! According to my gas mileage display it went up 1.2 mpg, and I am keeping the same driving habits, I even did a burnout for the first time in the car and a few pulls to 60 and it still gets better gas mileage."

Being that our Insights have a high 13:1 compression, you want to make sure not to use too much. So if anyone decides to try this, don't be dumping in 4 or 5 ounces of this stuff into your tank. Your MPG will probably drop. You only need a very small bit for this stuff to supposedly work.

I am guessing this stuff won't make any difference, but I am going to try it anyway just to see what happens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
2 cycle oil

Sorry, didn't mean to sound negative....just cautious. Like I said, I don't know enough about engines and fuel systems to give a useful opinion. Just didn't sound right to me. I wish you the best, and look forward to hearing your findings.

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
Ethanol is only a drop in the bucket maybe in reguards to the first part, with a different set of serious problems.
I 100% agree... Ethanol is not a miracle cure all... there are many issues and problems ... it has both pros and cons.... as do any of the effort at solutions.

But I have an ethical issue with burning "food" for fuel. And _any_ plant based alcohol is not carbon neutral, unless acreage currently in production is used (the food issue again).
While I agree the food issue is a concern ... and definitely should not be ignored ... I do not view it as an automatic deal buster.

Depending on how you look at it ... Nothing is carbon neutral ... or everything is carbon neutral.

To me Carbon neutral claims are nice but they are not a deal breaker or maker by themselves.

The energy to move your car has to come from some where ... Any source you can think of will have an issue with it one way or the other ... Ethanol included.

Food is just a chemical battery of solar energy ... If instead of crops I put up solar panels I would also be able to tap the same energy source a different way ... When you build a house you use that land for the house instead of growing food ... when you build a road you are using that land for the road instead of food... etc...etc... While Food production is an important use of land and solar energy it is not the only use of land and solar energy... Humans have many competing desires and needs food is a very big one... but it is not the only one.

We have finite resources such as energy and land ... it is about balancing the distribution of those resource of land and energy among all of our various needs and desires ... __% of land and energy for Food ... __% of land and energy for shelter ... etc...etc.

·
Registered
392 Posts
We have finite resources such as energy and land ... it is about balancing the distribution of those resource of land and energy among all of our various needs and desires ... __% of land and energy for Food ... __% of land and energy for shelter ... etc...etc.
Until the biggest issue of them all comes up - overpopulation. Then the percentages add up to more than 100%. Unfortunately I feel that there isn't much we can do to stop this trainwreck from happening. I guess we just sit and wait.

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
Until the biggest issue of them all comes up - overpopulation. Then the percentages add up to more than 100%. Unfortunately I feel that there isn't much we can do to stop this trainwreck from happening. I guess we just sit and wait.
There is no over 100%... the people just die.

There are only 2 eventual options for population.

#1>
We keep growing in population until we can't support the people and people die off... enough millions or billions die off as it takes to reduce the food requirements to levels our food production system can sustain.

#2>
We impose limits on population ... who is allowed to bread ... how old are people allowed to live ... who is allowed to keep living etc.

-----------------

Of course there are variations among those two... but in a nut shell it is one or the other.

With finite resources and space eventually a growing population reaches the limits of the finite resources.... our species either is smacked down by reality ... or we as a species take active control of it ourselves fore that happens.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Luckily we won't have to worry about the over population problem in our lifetimes. I'll be long dead before this problem really gets bad. But I still want to play my part in fixing the problem.

I wish they would stop producing all of these gas hog cars and require that everyone drive a car such as the Insight 1st gen or similar. We need to forget about doing 0-60 in 4 seconds and worry about saving fuel.

I'm very happy with my Insight even though it's nowhere near as fast as many of the muscle cars I've had in the past.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
10 Participants
fuelmiser
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing