Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of 15 mpg city and premium gas, and have found a 2010 Insight EX at about 90k miles. Like it better than I expected to! Was worried about acceleration and how it did at 65-70 mph; both were fine by me.

No warning lights on; ran my OBD2 Bluetooth scanner on it after the test drive and no codes.

Questions:

1. There's a Honda dealer about 3 miles away. Is it worth taking the car there and having them do a hard shake? Would they be able to tell me if the "software updates" were done? What about remaining life of the hybrid battery? I know a guy who says he can tell me that, for $100...

2. If I get it, planning to replace the tires, the 12V battery (looks old and in FL going into summer not a good sign), oil and filter, and trans fluid and filter. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thx in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sounds good to me. I would not be too worried about the IMA battery pack as long as it has not been hit from behind and regularly driven. Those are the only two things that seem to effect these IMA batteries.

If you do replace the tires, check threads around here for suggestions. Any Honda’s driving experience is greatly effected by the tire it has on it. The original equipment tires on these things were awful. Putting on a set of Michelins made a huge difference for me.

Another thing to consider is, because you are in Florida, when driving around town from signal to signal or stop sign to stop sign, is to turn the Eco button off or just drive it in S. That will keep it from auto stopping and keep the A/C going.
Kind of miserable otherwise.

Because of the regenerative braking, the front pads can last a very long time. It’s possible they have never been changed.

Only the last software update that was sent out as a recall would show up with a VIN check at the dealer. The first three on needed to actually have the car connected to the Honda service computer to have the updates done. We never have figured out if, when they did the recall to an Insight that never had them, if it would also apply the first three.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts