Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this was fall and we all were preparing for winter, this might be a more pertinent topic. Nevertheless, it's interesting:

2 months ago I installed the genuine Honda block heater in my GF's 2005 Insight. It took me about 4 hours, as I very carefully routed the wiring per the instructions. She drives the car to work daily, 34 miles each way. I have her set up with an electric timer, so at 4am the thing turns on and runs until she leaves for work @ 7am.

She loves it! She is able to get warm cabin air blowing after only 90 seconds of driving. Her mpg is increased initially, as lean-burn is very quickly available. And yesterday, the car performed auto-stop at THE END OF THE DRIVEWAY! I would certainly recommend this item for anyone in the colder, northern climates.

·
Registered
741 Posts
How much has her electric bill increased?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unkown, but it runs at about 400 watts for 3 hours a day, 5 days per week. Perhaps a small increase in her electric bill.

·
Registered
741 Posts
0.4 kw * 3 hr * 20 days per month = 24 kilowatt-hours * 4 cents

= about $1.00 to pre-heat her insight each month
=
= (5 extra cents per day)
= 0.02 gallons per drive

How cold does it get in Washington State?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Troy; The western side of Washington (west of the Cascade Mtns) is fairly mild in winter, due to the influence of marine air. But we live on the east side, where there is mostly desert and farmland, with pine forests in the far northeast, north of Spokane. In our area (Pasco, Kennewick) the winters can be quite cold & windy. Often in the mornings the temps are in the teens and low 20's. An occasional arctic blast can get us down below zero. But April is quite mild, with summer and early fall being downright hot. Therefore, her block heater will be used maybe 4 months per year. Bill.....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Billy said:
Often in the mornings the temps are in the teens and low 20's.
That doesn't sound cold.
An occasional arctic blast can get us down below zero.
Brrr! But that does! I hate below zero weather. Things become brittle & break.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts