Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the update on seating. Installed a black leather S2000 seat yesterday. It wasn't an exact fit but didn't require major mods to get it in and only needed to drill one hole.

* Comfort - Excellent marks for cushioning, side bolsters, thigh support and lumbar. Just drove 60 miles this morning and am very pleased.

* Seat position - A bit lower than the stock seat which made me a bit uncertain about whether I would like it or not. Surprise revealed when I sat down and realized that my left arm now rests perfectly on the door's armrest and my right arm is level with the Civic console/armrest I installed a while back. Overall result = more comfortable driving position than stock seat.

* Added bonus - S2000 seat has a seat belt retainer on the upper left side that keeps the belt from rubbing against the seat fabric.

Also discovered the joy of giving up a few mpg and using sport mode more frequently. It really leaves a look of bewilderment on the faces of other drivers when they see this little space capsule go flying away from them and it makes the whole experience a little more fun for me! Looking forward to my first winter with this car and mounting a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSIs on my Civic DX wheels. Let it snow! :D

Original post:

"I must be in the minority because I don't find my seats all that comfortable. Of course I came to my Insight from an Audi A8 so there's bound to be an adjustment! :shock:

After 6 months I've decided that something has to give before my back does. I'm considering S2000 seats or Recaro Sport Toplines.

Does anyone here have experience with either the S2000 seats in contrast to the Insight seats or with decent Recaros in contrast?"

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Everybody is different, I find the Insight seat more comfortable then most other car seats. I suggest trying out several seats for extended periods of time if possible before purchasing. The S2000 seat is designed to be lightweight so it's ergonomic philosophy will be closer to that of an Insight seat then an A8 seat.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I took a 5 hour trip in a S2000 and found it to be very comfortable, though the car itself was a bit cramped. I'm with you on the stock Insight seats, there's no support. I had leather put on mine, which was so tight it made the seats way better. You might consider this because it will likely be a lot cheaper than swapping the seats. If you do go with S2K seats you might want to look in to some seat lock bolts (they're like wheel locks for your seats) as those seats are a high theft item and expensive to replace. Granted it's a lot easier to cut the roof on a S2K to gain access vs an Insight. On that note if you buy a pair I'd try and make sure your buying legit stuff, not stolen ones.

Other foreseeable issues, the hold down pattern probably won't be the same for the two cars, but you can use the rails from the stock seats and modify whatever you put in there to work with whatever you put in there. I think both seats are close in size and height so they should go in easily, though measure first.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Owning both cars, I can tell you that the S seats are way more comfortable (IMO) than the Insights. I can also tell you that the comment above about theft and the cost to replace them is true.

The S seats are made by Recaro BTW. Just so you know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can someone clear up something for me?

On my Insight the seatbelt buckle mounts on one side and the lower restraining bolt for the other end of the seatbelt mounts on the other side of the seat. That is, there are two seatbelt mounts per seat, one either side of the seat. This is so that as the seat is moved, both lower ends of the seatbelt move.

Clearly then, to maintain good seatbelt safety, any replacement seat should be of the type that incorporates two seatbelt mounts into the seat construction.

However an S2000 owner yesterday told me the seats in his car weren't of this sort, with just the seatbelt buckle integrated into the seat.

So what are people doing when they mount S2000 seats in their Insight? Re-mounting the lower bolt for the outer seatbelt position to the floor or somewhere else? I'd certainly be very reluctant to do that from a crash safety point of view.

If someone could describe in detail a seat swap, and what was done with the seatbelt mounts, I'd be very interested.

Julian Edgar

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S2000 Seats

To remount the outer seatbelt bracket, I found a bolt of equivalent length and strength to the one on the Insight seat, reused the washers and spacers and secured it through the forward seatback mounting hole on the S2000 seat.

To mount the seat itself, I had to craft a 3 x 1 aluminum bracket that I secured to the existing left front bolt hole in the floor and then attached the seat rail to the bracket. Actually, I think I attached the bracket to the seat first but you get the idea!

For the left rear bracket, I had to drill a small hole in the floor and use a nut, bolt and washer combo to secure it.

The right front seat rail lined up fine and the rear right seat rail needed a very small amount of metal removed to lengthen the hole enough to use the existing bolt and hole.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. I think I might have the standard seats rebuilt with more foam, etc, which should avoid legal issues with new seatbelt and seat mounts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's the update on seating. Installed a black leather S2000 seat yesterday. It wasn't an exact fit but didn't require major mods to get it in and only needed to drill one hole.

* Comfort - Excellent marks for cushioning, side bolsters, thigh support and lumbar. Just drove 60 miles this morning and am very pleased.

* Seat position - A bit lower than the stock seat which made me a bit uncertain about whether I would like it or not. Surprise revealed when I sat down and realized that my left arm now rests perfectly on the door's armrest and my right arm is level with the Civic console/armrest I installed a while back. Overall result = more comfortable driving position than stock seat.

* Added bonus - S2000 seat has a seat belt retainer on the upper left side that keeps the belt from rubbing against the seat fabric.

Also discovered the joy of giving up a few mpg and using sport mode more frequently. It really leaves a look of bewilderment on the faces of other drivers when they see this little space capsule go flying away from them and it makes the whole experience a little more fun for me! Looking forward to my first winter with this car and mounting a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSIs on my Civic DX wheels. Let it snow! :D

Original post:

"I must be in the minority because I don't find my seats all that comfortable. Of course I came to my Insight from an Audi A8 so there's bound to be an adjustment! :shock:

After 6 months I've decided that something has to give before my back does. I'm considering S2000 seats or Recaro Sport Toplines.

Does anyone here have experience with either the S2000 seats in contrast to the Insight seats or with decent Recaros in contrast?"
where are the pics of the s2k seats in it?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Unfortunately, buying these seats usually means supporting those who are slicing our tops and stealing them. Please tell me you didn't buy them on craigslist. This is why I can't take my S2000 anywhere!

Still want to see pics though. Specifically pics of your modifications.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts