Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I searched for info on the speakers, a bunch of different people talking about replacing speakers, I have an LX so from what I've read there are no tweeters? cause it is just the 4 speaker system. Also I was wondering what the wattage of the speakers should be does it make a big difference, should I stick with 40 or 60 watt speakers instead of 100 watt speakers? Also should I not bother with the tweeters? I want the best quality for about $300 plus installation. I was hoping cheap harmon kardons or focal's if they would fit?

So far ive found that the speakers are 6.5" but what is the depth? what else would limit me to certain speakers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
194 Posts
So im thinking about just skipping on the tweeters and just getting
Boston Acoustics SC65 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
these speakers same ones for the front and the back. I wanted to just have a shop install them. Will the power be good on the speakers and im hoping they wont take any extra power from the battery, I know very little about this haha just looking for awesome sound without sacrificing anything.
should be fine. As long as you buy the right size speaker it's pretty much a straight swap.

And power should be plenty and should sound much better. The speakers in the car are garbage... especially the back two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The thing with replacing the stock speakers is....

There is an assumption that if you are replacing your stock speakers, that you are going to add some sort of woofer. What this means to you is that if you are not adding a woofer, you aren't going to get the bass output as the stock speakers. The salesman will tell you that you will, but when you learn that isn't true, he then will sell you a woofer setup. The stock speakers will cover your full range of sound. Any, no matter the brand, aftermarket speaks below an 8" (even 6x9), will not cover the low frequencies as your stock system will. Now if this isn't a concern of yours, I recommend high end Boston Acoustics, or Polk speakers. They will have the pop of the bass, but won't carry a low frequency as your stock system (unless you are looking to pay over $00/pair. If this is a concern of yours, without adding a sub, you may want to shop for component systems. Component systems have a crossover that separate the high frequencies from the low (they also have a separate tweeter). What this means for you, is that you can set the crossover to your general liking, and then fine tune from the head unit.

The problem with components (if you are using them for a full range of sound), is that the crossover is usually hidden in the door, so you can't go back and change it if you listen to many styles of music. The installer actually has the option to run the crossover to an accessible spot in the car, but this could add hundreds to your install cost.

I have won stereo competitions and have done all my own installations. While I haven't been in the market for an aftermarket stereo system in over 5 years, I imagine that the acoustic engineering hasn't changed much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
crutchfield

So im thinking about just skipping on the tweeters and just getting
Boston Acoustics SC65 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

hey man, TRUST me, do not buy speakers that you have never heard. What I would do is find which speaker you want in crutchfield (because they do have the best prices) and then find a local shop that sells (the exact) name and model number. It will definitely sound completely different in your car, but you'll get a very general idea what you are buying. When you have heard and approve, then order them through crutchfield.

But don't buy based on brand, output, price, all under the assumption that it will be a good buy.

I have paid over $400 for speakers that in my opinion, didn't sound as good as the $150 set I had before them. It's all personal taste, not numbers... or sales techniques.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did a lot of research before i replaced the speakers and head unit in my F150. I ended up with Polk DB651's. The sound and clarity is night and day. 1000000% better. That said, the low end lacks like trust2400 said.

I love the factory system in my 12' insight EX. Blows my modified 05' F150 system out the water.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
All good advice. I suggest going to best buy or pepboys and trying them all out. Bring a cd or usb stick with some of your favorite songs or talk shows depending on what you listen to as well. I myself like the sound of kenwood speakers and sony head units. Maybe this is old news, but a speakers watts is sometimes listed as rms or average, sometimes max, so read the fine print. a 50 watt max speaker can handle as much power as a 50 watt rms speaker. Sometimes higher wattage speakers have a lower sensitivity and can take MO POWER to produce the same sound as a smaller lower wattage speaker. Also a sub is required as a 6.5 inch speaker wont produce much bass. Another idea is to replace the door speakers with marine or free air subs and put an amp under the seat and put regular 3 way speakers up front.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts