Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if upgraded slotted rotors will work on the insight. I am sure i can upgrade the brake pads with no problem. Also, does anyone know which model AEM pully set would work on the insight, or I sent an email to AEM but no responce yet.

Mod Poll - click here

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Arsenic; I do not know the answer. But generally, slotted rotors are for cooling. Do you plan to race? Do you anticipate very heavy, extended braking? The stock rotors and pads have shown to be very adequate, even excellent in stopping our lightweight Insights! Billy...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well yes it would be for better breaking. Yeah I would be getting a whole kit that comes with brake pads, as well as a kit to convert the rear shoes to rotors. well the pully set is lighter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
as well as a kit to convert the rear shoes to rotors. well the pully set is lighter.
If you can find a bolt on kit to convert the rear drums to rotors let us know. I've been looking for a long time now and haven't found anything.

I would think the stock pully set would already be light weight aluminium.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Holicow-

It compensates for the coriolis effect. (Northern hemisphere use only!)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
With modern brake pad materials there is no need for slotted or crossdrilled rotors even for track use. The only reason you see them on Ferraris etc... is because people expect to see them there!

If you want to shorten your stopping distances on the street
1) get better tires
2) get autoslalom/solo II front brake pads from Williams Performance Friction.
3) to cool your brakes better, remove the splash guards/dust shields that cover the back of your rotors.

Williams made a set of front brake pads for my Insight for only $75 canadian.
These are solo II pads so they are powerful when cold, so they are great on the street. Track pads need to be hot to work properly, when cold they are weak and wear out quickly.
I'm planning on installing them this weekend.

http://www.wpfri.com/

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've lapped race tracks many times with my Insight and i've found the brakes are well above average in performance for a passenger car. I use high temperature brake fluid that is replace every spring to keep them from boiling over on the track. My battery fades much sooner then my brakes ever had.

If you install a conversion kit to change your rear drums to disks make sure you add an brake proporsioning valve to balance the braking power. The fronts need to lock up just before the rears...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sparky5501 said:
as well as a kit to convert the rear shoes to rotors. well the pully set is lighter.
If you can find a bolt on kit to convert the rear drums to rotors let us know. I've been looking for a long time now and haven't found anything.

I would think the stock pully set would already be light weight aluminium.
AEM makes them. AEM makes everything. do you know the how much they weigh because the AEM pully set is very light.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Check the European Insights. It is possible that european cars require 4 wheel disks by law. Our European friends could tell us.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Arsenic1250 said:
AEM makes them. AEM makes everything. do you know the how much they weigh because the AEM pully set is very light.
Upon reading this I got all excited and headed directly to their web site to search for a kit to convert the Insight's rear drums to discs. A search for "insight" in their search engine turned up absolutely no hits.

Do you have a price or part number for these kits? I really don't want to have to muck around with drum brakes. I've been dreaming of a rear disc conversion since I bought my first Insight.

Later,

Cool Cat

·
Registered
66 Posts
Searching further I found that their applications chart only lists 92-00 Civics as compatible with their rear disc conversion kits. Its possible that their web site hasn't been updated with new products though, so if you've got part numbers or other information indicating that there's a kit for the Insight please post it!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi B1shmu63:

___I know the Brit’s aren’t required to have all wheel discs on their automobiles so I doubt it’s a requirement throughout all of Europe? I know the Honda Jazz and Civic 5-door in the UK both use drums in the rear anyway.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1m90mb2m][email protected][/email:1m90mb2m]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They have not upgraded the site in a while. You have to call them to get the part number, i wrote it down but lost the paper. You actually use one of the models for the civic it fits on the insight, i dont remember which gen of civic since there is 4 92-95 Gen 5 96-99 Gen6 2000-2001 gen 7 2002+

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
but back to my question if i mod something does that void my warantee, would i have to have honda install my mods? can it be a professional install like best buy?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Replacing things will only void the warranty on the parts that have been replaced. However, if they are installed incorrectly it may also void the warranty on any parts that the installation effects. AEM actually deals with this question in their FAQ section.

Unless you're a competent mechanic I'd recommend having either a dealer or a certified mechanic do the mechanical upgrades. Don't go to Best Buy, they're only good with stereo installs, and they're not even that good at those.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts