Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think stock radios are so much easier to use with their straight forward analogue controls. Once you know the radio it can be operated by feel.
When the stock radio went out in my Toyota a few years back I was disappointed in the fm reception of the new after market stereo. On asking the installer about it he said that a few years back the FCC relaxed the sensitivity requirements for f m tuners for the American market, resulting in a race to the bottom for the new units sensitivity by many manufacturers. I asked him what he could recommend.
He said try to keep the old radio and get it repaired..
I agree with Boojum re the rear speakers becoming the base speakers. I notice they ad a lot of presence to the sound in my car.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Upgrade the front speakers and put a sub in the rear trunk floor, wired to the DC convertor. Better highs and mids, and better lows. Love how my insight sounds now.
One of the first mods I did to my Insight was upgrade the front with components, an aftermarket HU, an amp, and a custom rear sub. The sound is much much better. The biggest difference was the front component speakers. That said, the car is loud and has a lot of road noise so you're never going to get "audiophile sound" going down the road. I understand people sticking with stock. In the end it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Road noise is a real issue in the insight. Before my last car was totaled I had just completed sound proofing it. Huge difference in road noise. And with just a simple Polk Audio speaker upgrade, the improved quality in the stereo sound was all I needed. The sound proofing in the doors ( killmat and polyfill in food storage bags) and rear of the car acts just like a more sophisticated speaker enclosure. The improvement is dramatic. The work involved is tedious and time consuming. It also taught me a lot about my car.
I did the doors. Removed the seats and did the floors and rear slope. Stripped the trim in the cargo and IMA battery bay and dit that too. I applied about 70 square feet of killmat (30 pounds) and stuffed in lots of loose and bagged polyfill. I intend to apply more killmat to the front wheel wells and strut towers as well.
Makes it a different car.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I once strapped a subwoofer to the back of a van seat which shook the seat and filled in the low end response even though you could barely hear the sub over the road noise. But you sure could feel it. I have been considering harvesting 6' sub drivers from home theater systems and putting those behind the front seat, doors remain midrange, high/tweeters on dash or on the triangle side mirror hardware covers (saw that in a photo on this site.) The high frequency stuff is very directional and needs to be in front of you; the midrange, not so much, the subs, almost anywhere.
This is what you want, I used to have them installed on my couch, lol:

https://www.amazon.com/AuraSound-AST-2B-4-Shaker-Tactile-Transducer/dp/B0002ZPTBI

·
Registered
9 Posts
I plan to buy a cassette deck insert with a wire connect ( not Bluetooth ) to plug my phone Into the radio thru. Any opinions on who makes a good one?
The Grom Audio device that I bought plugs into the cd changer port on the back of the stock head. It has bluetooth, aux in and HD radio! all controlled through the stock head. Its pretty slick and more integrated looking than the tape adapter.

https://gromaudio.com/

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Grom Audio device that I bought plugs into the cd changer port on the back of the stock head. It has bluetooth, aux in and HD radio! all controlled through the stock head. Its pretty slick and more integrated looking than the tape adapter.

How difficult was the install; did you have to yank the radio out of the dash, to do it? I don't guess it's possible to just do a "reach around" from up underneath, without pulling the radio, to plug in the Grom harness to the back of it? Can you post a pic of your setup?

I like the look, and the controls layout, of my OEM radio w/CD player, and I'm not much of an audiophile fanatic about THD, I just want to be able to pipe my iPod tunes through my radio, whenever I'm driving in a poor radio signal reception area. I'd rather not have to pull the dash apart to install this animal, though.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
How difficult was the install; did you have to yank the radio out of the dash, to do it? I don't guess it's possible to just do a "reach around" from up underneath, without pulling the radio, to plug in the Grom harness to the back of it? Can you post a pic of your setup?

I like the look, and the controls layout, of my OEM radio w/CD player, and I'm not much of an audiophile fanatic about THD, I just want to be able to pipe my iPod tunes through my radio, whenever I'm driving in a poor radio signal reception area. I'd rather not have to pull the dash apart to install this animal, though.
Pulling your radio is not hard. 5 minutes.

·
Linsight Designer
1,774 Posts
How difficult was the install; did you have to yank the radio out of the dash, to do it? I don't guess it's possible to just do a "reach around" from up underneath, without pulling the radio, to plug in the Grom harness to the back of it?
I have installed this device without removing the head unit (by removing the glove box and awkwardly fudding around with the connector until it went into place... it wasn't worth the 'saved' time... just remove the cover and pull the head unit... it takes just a few minutes.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Remove two screws below glove box; remove glove box. Remove two screws holding center panel that were obscured by glovebox door; pull panel from bottom left and glove box to remove panel. Remove screws in front holding radio. Remove radio.

I have both the cassette and CD versions (not in car at same time!) I saw pins for a nav input and mute which might apply to the CD version. Will be trying these out over the next few weeks as an aux input. If present, it will require a custom harness that can be built from connectors found on EBay.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Cd function refuses to turn on

I searched the thread for the original suggested plug and play device I recently bought ( not gromaudio) but a product from China. I can no longer find the original but I know I saw it here somewhere. Anyway I got it and plugged it into the cd changer receptical at the back of the radio. Turned the radio on, plugged my phone into it with pandora on, hit the cd switch, searched a couple tracks and suddenly there it was, my music in cd quality hi fi from my stock radio. It was wonderful! I drove around the block listening, elated, very pleased. I Parked. Turned off the car for a minute. Turned it back on. Tried the radio again and saw EEE on the radio screen CD read out. Then nothing. The cd switch won’t turn on either the tape or CD function now. Turning the car off has no affect. What happened? It worked fine one minute. Then it didn’t. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
China.

Dude just get a new stereo. Stock stereo is **** sound quality. I don't know why you want to do this so bad. It seriously sounds bad compared to almost any aftermarket deck. If you're just after aesthetics and don't care about sound quality, just put a bluetooth speaker in your cupholder.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dude here. Thanks for the opinion Addvanced.
So- not exactly the response I expected, hoped for.
I guess I’ll repeat myself a bit. I like the original radio. Not cause it’s cute and goes with the vintage of the car. It’s waaaay more user friendly. And yes I’ll admit it’s probably a geezer thing. I tried to upgrade the radio in another car recently. It was a total failure. I didn’t like it. My wife didn’t like it.
I’m an old stereo buff. The user interface was counter intuitive and unnessarily complax. The light show was distracting. The FM sensitivity and fidelity sub par. Neither of us successfully surmounted the operational learning curve and we both stopped using the unit and thankfully eventually sold the car.
Back to my insight radio. I won’t give it up yet or easily. I guess I’ll start by pulling it again today, unplugging the Bluetooth aux unit, and rebooting the radio. Even to the point of disconnecting the battery and punching in the radio code if necessary. TPITA. Un less there are other ideas out there. By the way my radio is the 2001 tape deck with CD changer option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I, too like the older audio stuff with as few menus as possible. About 2012, I installed an AXXESS Aux line-in module that plugged into the CD changer socket and it still works great (with 2006 AM/FM CD oem radio). I can't find this device any more, but a rather slow search on ebay found this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-3-5mm-Ipod-MP3-Player-Radio-Aux-Interface-Adapte-In-Fit-For-Honda-2-3-Acura/263960253122?fits=Make:Honda&hash=item3d7541d2c2:g:LiwAAOSwGhRbrE-e

And one image on that page shows 'Honda Insight 2000-2003 compatible'. The blue connector looks right, (but no guarantee from me on this). I hope this helps.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’d like to try to take it starting from here: I installed one of two Identical units I ordered. A doxingye BTI -V2 honda 2.3. Recommended here by an insighter. Pulled the radio and plugged the Honda compatible unit directly into the female recep. Plug for the CD changer at the back of my stock radio cassette player. Plugged in my phone . Turned on the radio. Pressed the CD tape button till the CD display appeared. With Pandora up,
The first two track choices were silent the third came up and immediately my tunes were playing.
I reinstalled the radio with out turning it off. And I can’t remember the exact sequence here. I started the car which silenced the radio momentarily. I drove a while, pandora still playing. Pulled back in my driveway. Turned off the radio and car. Fiddled with cords for a minute, plugging and unplugging. Turned the radio back on, no sound. Tapped the CD switch. EEE appeared in the CD display. No sound. Track advance function doesn’t work. Next tap of source switch has no affect other than to silence the radio. Neither tape nor CD show up in the display.
I tried for a while with no luck giving in finally to a much more cooperative glass of red. And calling it quits for the day. ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just trolling the internet for replacement radios for 2001 Honda Insight I found one listed at lithia Honda Minnesota. With a drawing of my OE unit it said Honda (Alpine) replacement for $600.
Alpine! $600!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi Eric,

I also like the stock look and real knobs. I am in the middle of putting a Raspberry Pi where the cassette deck fits inside so that I can listen to Internet radio stations as if I'm tuning them.

You might be able to clear the error by unplugging the larger harness from the radio. That harness supplies switched and unswitchrd 12V. Removing the harness may clear the error state. I think you said you have the cassette version. If so, no code is needed to renable the radio after restoring power.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
16 Participants
EricTheWood
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing