Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of months back the engine warning light came up and was diagnosed as upper O2 sensor faulty. At first nothing seems to have changed but now the car seems even more economical and today it returned 93.1mpg on a 100 mile round trip via motorway at average 60mph!!! It seems to go into lean burn easier now. I bought the wrong sensor - 4 wires instead of 5, hence the delay, and now I wonder if I should change it!!! I'd appreciate any thoughts about long term problems with leaving as it is. What would you do? (By the way the Honda OEM 4 wire sensor is for sale.)

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Woah got any video to show us while your driving or pics of the trip?, that would be awesome! Don't know if it's good for the car, but interesting nonetheless. I'd think that the engineers of the car would have known about that.

·
7,200 Posts
Just environmental condition luck, I would bet.

We had a O2 sensor sluggish code on Insight #2. While it lean burned easily and got decent MPG(60-70 highway), changing the O2 sensor made a pretty profound difference to ease of lean burn and power in lean burn mode. I suspect that it won't be hard to get 70-80MPG highway now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Woah got any video to show us while your driving or pics of the trip?, that would be awesome! Don't know if it's good for the car, but interesting nonetheless. I'd think that the engineers of the car would have known about that.
Hi, I updated the posting with a picture of the speedo reading today!

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
93.1 is probably imperial MPG since the poster seems to be from UK. That is about 77 US MPG. Which is decent, and not out of the norm.

A friend with a CVT (no leanburn) got almost 80mpg for a 60 mile trip driving about 60mph due to a tail wind, so yes, it can be environmental variables. Other times he gets around 55-60mpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
93.1 is probably imperial MPG since the poster seems to be from UK. That is about 77 US MPG. Which is decent, and not out of the norm.

A friend with a CVT (no leanburn) got almost 80mpg for a 60 mile trip driving about 60mph due to a tail wind, so yes, it can be environmental variables. Other times he gets around 55-60mpg
Yes I am in the UK. The journey was a 'round trip', 50 miles out, 50 miles back, with headwind on the outward and tailwind on the way back, mostly on the M25 motorway which surrounds London, temperature 21c 71f. mpg was a bit more than 'decent' I think! For instance, about 6 times better mpg than the average Range Rover.

·
7,200 Posts
Ahh, I see. I always forget to take that into account.

In that case, my best full tank is 101.48MPG imperial. :D I like that, I think I'll cite that more. ;) I kid, I kid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts