Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Insight to Firestone for an alignment this afternoon. The say they cannot do it until I replace the front tie rods. They say they have been fused together and because it's metal-aluminum, they can't take a torch to it.

I put four new Potenza's on a year ago, and the two front are worn.

The vehicle has 110,000 miles and I live in snowy Missouri. Is Firestone's $565 quote to replace the tie rods kosher?

Any help is appreciated. They say the car is unsafe to drive.
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Is Firestone's $565 quote to replace the tie rods kosher? Any help is appreciated. They say the car is unsafe to drive.
Mark
Only if the new tie-rods are made of gold.....The tie-rods from Majestic Honda cost $44 for the right and $40 for the left. This does not include shipping but they don't weight that much. Here is the link:

Honda Automotive Parts

Item number 9....

Unsafe to drive?...Assuming they did not do any damage to them while trying to break them loose, you are just as safe as you were driving in the last year (out of alignment).

If you already got the tires installed, I would just take the Insight to another place that does alignments. If you do, you should go right away just so you don't wear down your new tires.

I don't know if they are telling you the real deal about being able to break the adjusting area loose, but I think that they are trying to make money off of you in the tie rod replacement with this state of economy.

I would walk (drive) away.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,488 Posts
So why are you having an alignment? How many miles on the tires? Bad wear pattern? What was the spec. for toe in before they decided that an alignment was required. Unless you have struck a "curb" real hard you should never need an alignment.
The OEM tires will wear real bad on the outer sections of the tread before the middle shows any wear. Even with 50 psi in the tire.
I've got over 245,000 miles on my Insight and have never had an alignment problem.

Willie

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
So why are you having an alignment?
Because he "put four new Potenza's on a year ago, and the two front are worn."

They should have been able to tell him how far out of alignment the front wheels really are. If you trust them, they must be out of spec in order to want to adjust the alignment. I still think over $500 just to change either one or two tie rods is waaaaay too much.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
My front tie rods were frozen. They did get them unfrozen with using the torch and lots of force. I am not too happy about that, would rather have just replaced them myself before the alignment if they were $40 dollars each.
I do not know how the tie rods attach in this car, but with all that force and heating it probably screawed something else up, like maybe where the tie rods connect.

What also happens is when they heat the tie rods up they expand. They then do the alignment with them heated and finish the alignment with them still hot. When they finally cool off after the alignment they throw the alignment back out.

This is exactly what just happened to my car, and I warned the technician about this, he said he cooled it by spraying water.

My car really pulls to the right, I also checked my tire wear on the front, and can tell the front tires are wearing way faster than the rears...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Your front tires are wearing weird?

Totally normal. The corners wear out faster than the middle on EVERYONE'S Insight. Unless it's some other kind of wear.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,488 Posts
Check to make sure the RF brake isn't dragging. Long parking lots is a good place to test, of course empty at the time.
Did they do a rear alignment check?
The front tires will wear over two times faster than the rear.
Any pictures of the tires now...How many miles, not time.
HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I will have to recheck the tire wear again, and I can post some pictures. It is not very obvious because I only have about 3000 miles on the tires, but I was looking closely and I can clearly see the fronts are worn down much more. The rears I can still feel the little string bumps still on the tires.
But my car pulls very sharp to the right.

However, do you think I should shim the rear toe. Here are my alignment specs for rear.

Left ---- Right ---- Specified Range
-1.1 deg ---- Camber ---- -1.1 deg ----- -2.0 to 0.0 deg
.2 deg ---- TOE ---- -.05 deg ---- 0.00 0.24 deg

My worry is the .2 deg on the left toe and the -.05 on the right toe. The -.05 is obviosly out of spec, but the left is also on the other end of the range at .2 deg.

Do you think the rear toe being out could cause the fronts to wear quicker, is this even possible? Because the rear tires are wearing fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if other states may have a problem. But here in CA we never have a "frozen" tie rod, they always have a way to get "stuck" rods loose without having to replace anything.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My front tie rods were frozen. They did get them unfrozen with using the torch and lots of force. I am not too happy about that, would rather have just replaced them myself before the alignment if they were $40 dollars each.
I do not know how the tie rods attach in this car, but with all that force and heating it probably screawed something else up, like maybe where the tie rods connect.

What also happens is when they heat the tie rods up they expand. They then do the alignment with them heated and finish the alignment with them still hot. When they finally cool off after the alignment they throw the alignment back out.

This is exactly what just happened to my car, and I warned the technician about this, he said he cooled it by spraying water.

My car really pulls to the right, I also checked my tire wear on the front, and can tell the front tires are wearing way faster than the rears...
This may be of interest. Merry Christmas. :)
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/problems-troubleshooting/20328-tie-rod-adjuster.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts