Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
7,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody give me some pointers here? I've got the valve cover off, but light is getting short and I'd like to finish tonight.

I'm very familiar with the procedure, but I'm kinda confused here.

First, can anyone tell me the proper procedure to turn the engine over without it starting?

Second... Is it possible that someone tried to do it and botched the job or something? There is definitely a fairly loud tick from the top end. I figured it would be from too much clearance. Could it be from too little?

I pulled the valve cover off, which was refreshingly easy, and got out the feeler gauge. It says Intake is supposed to be 0.20mm and exhaust 0.23mm, both plus or minus 0.02mm.

Sounds good to me, so I chose the 0.203mm feeler gauge just to get an idea of what was going on. Much to my dismay, I couldn't get the feeler gauge under any of the rockers. The next size down was 0.153mm I believe, and I could only get it under one rocker. I realize that some valves are actuated(although it's surprisingly hard to tell which ones), but what the heck is going on here?

:?

I guess what I really need to know is where the crankshaft needs to be for which valves to check. I need to buy the service manuals.. lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have my FSM handy, but the engine needs to be turned to top dead center using the crankshaft bolt, which you can probably access through the pass side wheel well. Once at TDC, adjust cylinder 1's valves. Then you will turn the crankshaft ... probably about 2/3 of a turn and adjust whichever cylinder has no valves open (probably 3) then another 2/3 of a turn and adjust cylinder 2.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts