Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Wow! That is pretty thorough and a great advert for the Insight. UK Government Departments could not promote a single vehicle like that.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That's a great article! Too bad Honda dealers don't give out copies to prospective purchasers. OK, I understand that they loose money on the Insight. Makes me feel rather privaleged.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Sparky5501:

___Thanks for the excellent link!

___I had read on the web somewhere that one of the government labs here in Illinois tested and pulled apart an Insight to see what it was capable of. The same very enlightening conclusions were written up about its super efficiency. I wish I had saved it …

___In any case, the US Government in conjunction with the Big 3 spent something like 1 Billion US dollars in development of a super high efficiency automobile and came up with something akin to a golf cart? Honda probably spent far less (Toyota and its Prius lines probably spent close to that?) and came up with vehicles that simply shatter anything Detroit has offered us to date in terms of mileage capability … This makes me angry given it was some of my dollars that were thrown away.

___Just the other night I was reading of a Chevrolet Suburban Diesel-Hybrid Retrofit from the University of Wisconsin - Madison in which they doubled its mileage, lowered its emissions, and without losing a # of towing capacity nor its 4WD capability yet where is it? The final tally on that project showed an ~ $4,000 increase in costs for the Hybrid after mass-production savings were figured in and I believe this was done back in 2001 or 2002! Imagine the even smaller investment needed in today’s dollars. This just goes to show you where Detroit is headed if they are not careful … I will try and find the University of Wisconsin’s Suburban project later …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:gn9qt9um][email protected][/email:gn9qt9um]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___Sorry to go a ways OT … ___It ended up being $10K more then a Base Suburban in the year 2001 :( but has to be cheaper now I would assume?

___All of the above shows me just how great our Insight’s truly are ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:23in54cu][email protected][/email:23in54cu]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thanks Xcel. So the theoretic maximum speed in top gear would be 170MPH at 6,000 RPM! 8) Going down hill with a tailwind naturally.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanx guys, verrry interesting links there :shock:

The German gouvernment would never come across with such a brochure to promote the VW Lupo 3L, never mind a Honda !!!
:?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi B1shmu63:

___You would have to install the warm air mods … and maybe drive off a cliff ;)

___No. 166, does your Government Labs publish articles like this on Emissions or maybe Advanced Engine technology and such? I can’t read German but throughout my whole life I have always heard of German Engineering being some of the best in the world. The Mercedes Safety Cage in particular is one of the best in comparison to anything the Japanese can come up when it comes to rollovers and such.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2k82ye7g][email protected][/email:2k82ye7g]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi xcel.

As I said, so far I've NEVER come across anything similar to the aforementioned link.
IMHO German engineering has NEVER been as good as everyone thought it would be. I used to work at our local Honda dealer as a trainee mechanic and had a good glimpse at vehicles of every make. The real Japanese (Toyota and Honda) are very well thought of, the mechanical parts simply "feel" good.
And about crash safety: The biggest "Crash-Test Centre" worldwide is in Tochigi. It belongs to Honda.

If the German engineers are so good, then why aren't we driving VW, BMW or Mercedes hybrids then. They can only build diesels and SUVs and I'm still waiting for a groundbreaking novelty.
As I asked somewhere else on this Forum:
Name me ONE high-tech motor-car from Germany that can compare to our Insight :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi No. 166:

___According to a few of the crash experts in the Acuramdx.org forum, the Mercedes ML probably has the highest strength roof of any SUV made including the new Volvo XC90. The Japanese strive for excellence on those items that are measured and advertised but spend very little time/effort/money on the stuff that isn’t from my understanding?

___I wouldn’t touch an ML myself as it has very poor quality then many other Japanese SUV’s (MDX/RX in particular) but as far as safety is concerned, I would rather be surrounded by it in a rollover then many other SUV’s currently considered reasonably safe.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1zosrabg][email protected][/email:1zosrabg]

·
Registered
348 Posts
What if you were a PEDESTRIAN :wink:

Honda at this moment is the ONLY maufacturer that crash-test with pedestrian dummys. 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi No. 166:

___Of course in an accident, I would rather be a belted in driver or passenger in our 1,900 # safety cage then the Pedestrian dummy :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3ncv6xel][email protected][/email:3ncv6xel]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___I found some information on the 1.5 Billion USD spent on the “Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles” (PNGV). Although nothing was made available to the public, Daimler/Chrysler did come up with a concept 72 mpg/low emission capable family sized sedan called the ESX3.

Post edited by Moderator

Picture can be found at
http://photoarchive.ap.org/apdbs/Intl_Photos/views/mini/4342/4342175.jpg

___Since it was an apparent waste of the tax payer’s money, the Bush administration is now moving toward support of FCV’s. Like that is going to take off immediately … Help the economy by supporting the Oil industry at all costs possibly?

Bush abandons high-mileage car program for hydrogen fuel-cell approach
After nearly $1.5 billion in subsidies, the Bush administration is ending an eight-year program to help automakers develop high-mileage, family-sized cars. Instead, it wants to spur the growth of hydrogen fuel cells to power the next generation of motor vehicles …
___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3as3z5na][email protected][/email:3as3z5na]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That's anice looking vehicle. Forget the hybrid and the Diesel, they should have just started building them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
That's anice looking vehicle. Forget the hybrid and the Diesel, they should have just started building them.
Actually, from the picture, aside from the obvious cosmetics, it's partically the same shape as the Prius... and I think the Prius is better looking...
:wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts