Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I drive for a living and it's quite apparent that the only time "people" are concerned about gas prices are when they are at the pump. "..changing driving styles..." what a joke! In between fillups, no one cares as most drivers are still driving like bats out of hell and standing on their accelerators from dead stops. It's not uncommon for some lunatic to bust his butt to get in front of me, speed off out of sight and then be sitting at the light I approach a few seconds later.

Don't buy into these price complaints. It's horse-hockey.

·
Registered
148 Posts
well, there is a big difference between increased complaints, and actual change in behavior.
complaining is easy.

for example, I've complained about my weight for years. However, this doesn't mean that I have actually acomplished significant behavioral change. :?
actual change would involve multiple steps--someone actually recognizing how their behavior contributed to a problem, being motivated to change, identifying ways to change, and then actually implementing the change.

Given how many people still think our cars plug in, or that turning off a car and turning it back on again wastes gas, looks like the first step may be the hardest part :(

·
Registered
804 Posts
FM stations that carry National Public Radio in the US carry BBC World Service at night. The BBC accurately reported that American driving habits are unchanged right now, probably not change unless oil exceeds $100 a barrel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most people that I have talked to recently. Tell me "oh gas will be cheap again in a month or so". I think this is the prevalent opinion so most americans. If gas continued to climb and then just stayed at $3-5 a gallon for several years I bet america would be talking notice then.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Last time rising gas pump prices were in the news, retailers like WalMart were concerned because people won't cut back on their driving much but just buy less at the stores.

·
Registered
51 Posts
clett said:
Our fuel might cost three times as much as it does in the US, but cars sold here go at least twice as far on a gallon of fuel (eg Astra ECO4)! Supply and demand and all that!

So it's not as bad as it seems....
...and I thought my Civic CDTi was good after returning an average of 72.5 mpg over my 112 mile return commute today!

·
Registered
109 Posts
james said:
There may not be as many big SUVs in Europe, but attitudes aren't so different. I've a friend who worked in upper management in Britain for a decade. Always had a company car, but would they give him the small one he wanted? Nope, had to be a big 500-series (I think) BMW, for "status".
Companies giving employees larger cars is a safety issue, not a status issue. My brother works for DuPont and when on the road, he is issued a Taurus or equal. I have a Windstar as a company car and most others w/ my company have Taurus'.

Now, issuing BMW's? That's just frivolous.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Now, issuing BMW's? That's just frivolous.
There is a mall in the KC area (overland park, ks) that have BMW X5 (giant SUV for christ's sake) for their SECURITY VEHICLES!!!

I gonna commit a crime just to ride in that thing! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't know about companies in general, but with the company my friend worked for, it was indeed a question of status. They told him point-blank that they didn't want people to see their management driving small, inexpensive cars. I think he probably could have gotten a Porsche or something out of them if he'd tried, but about that time there was a little addition to the family :)

Interesting footnote: that company, once a high-flying dot-com with its name on a major sports stadium, pretty much went down the tubes a few years afterwards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts