Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working with a US partner who currently wishes to remain anonymous on flashing rewritable ECM ECU's.

To this end and to develop techniques and tools we need some cheap or donated US ECM's to assist the project.
We have already made some good progress but I can't go into detail as yet.

If we can crack this nut then we open up a huge area of potential modding for tinkerers!
Upgrading ECU's without a visit to Honda etc.

Tweaking Fuel maps, lean burn, assist/regen maps, i'm not an engine guru....
You will be able to think of a lot more things than me.

I will edit this post shortly with exact details of the ECM's we are looking for.
Please add yourself if you are in the US and have any kicking around and might be able to help..

·
Registered
2000 MT
25 Posts
I will keep an eye out at the local junk yards for them. I have a couple guesses as to who might be helping out but they are all fairly well known in the aftermarket scene already. I will certainly be watching this for more, as a turbo insight has been very intriguing. Opening this ecu up would take a ton of headache out of that sort of modification along with ima deletes and battery swaps ect.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have my original 2000 5MT ECU available.

It may be possible to suspend A/C operation above a certain throttle point or during assist. The ECU intercepts it, but doesn't seem to do anything with it.

Given the high compression of our engines, they may show power and economy benefits from some more advanced ignition timing at large throttle openings. Honda likely pulled a bit of timing at high load so as to be able to have high compression gains at part throttle while still using inexpensive gasoline. I would love to see the ignition maps.

I'd also like to see how the ECU interacts with the IMA system.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,576 Posts
rmay63:
limp mode is to protect the engine from further damage. Why would you want to remove that?
Ecky:
Get one of Peters OBD gauges and you can see what the timing does. You would be amazed. When the IMA is activated the timing goes "way" retarded!
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
rmay63:
limp mode is to protect the engine from further damage. Why would you want to remove that?
Ecky:
Get one of Peters OBD gauges and you can see what the timing does. You would be amazed. When the IMA is activated the timing goes "way" retarded!
Good luck.
Yea I recall seeing it go from something like 7 degrees to 30. Reason for this is that flame speed slows way down as fueling starts to lean out, it takes longer for combustion to spread through the cylinder because the molecules are farther apart and there are fewer of them, so to keep peak pressure at the same relative spot, it has to be started earlier.

My main Insight has a different engine now, and I've been having trouble connecting via bluetooth to my 2nd Insight to look at this. Would be nice to be able to see the entire table. I'm tuning lean burn into my 2.4L engine (I've seen as high as 65mpg with it so far) but having the other engine's timing tables to reference would be tremendous.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Am willing to donate one but I'd like to know who it's going to in a pm.Certain guys I'll help everytime others who just pick apart every little thing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Glad someone is looking to do this!

I looked into it a while ago out of curiosity, there's no reason it can't be done...pretty much all other Honda ECUs have been cracked. IIRC you should be able to do it with a Tactrix cable, some software called PCMflash to read and write and then Bitedit or winols to edit maps. I think the hardest part is finding the maps and deciphering them. Once you have a map defined I think you can edit it.

One thing that may be a problem is this might only be able to be done on cars that communicate through the OBD2 port with K-line,can't remember if any years of Insight did or not.

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the offers so far keep them coming.
I will report back with what exactly is required as the project progresses.

I don't expect it to be super easy initially.
Early ECM's don't allow reflashing easily or at all.
There are loads of ECM variations across countries/years.
The tools are tricky and some weird interfaces are required.

·
Registered
649 Posts
@retepsnikrep could you help this guy

He is looking to fully reverse engineer the inverter IMA, he claims that this forum won’t allow him to sign up because he doesn’t have Facebook.

he could be a useful technical resource if you can get his attention
Mudder s work would be right up his ally

thanx

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Unfortunately I'm snowed under with Insight projects and supporting owners to go out trying to find more stuff to do!!
This ECM flashing project has opened up another load of rabbit holes to disappear down.
If he can figure out how to sign up here and post, I'll answer IMA questions as time permits.

I had a quick look at what he is doing, it's quite interesting.
He is using a CIVIC GEN2 or perhaps GEN3 inverter, I don't have one of those.
So he would have to get me one if he wanted me to look at it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Unfortunately I'm snowed under with Insight projects and supporting owners to go out trying to find more stuff to do!!
This ECM flashing project has opened up another load of rabbit holes to disappear down.
If he can figure out how to sign up here and post, I'll answer IMA questions as time permits.

I had a quick look at what he is doing, it's quite interesting.
He is using a CIVIC GEN2 or perhaps GEN3 inverter, I don't have one of those.
So he would have to get me one if he wanted me to look at it.
no worries, I fully understand, you and he are 2 million pound gorillas with different trajectories.
His response would be similar to helping you, he is focused purely on open inverter projects.

My point is if you could somehow get his (and more importantly people in his orbit) attention with a carrot you might both reduce your respective workloads.

jack bauer Tom and other people that have played purely with the Insight electronics at a hardware level could help with your ECU conundrum. (If they areapproached correctly)

However, The open inverter folks are extremely fickle and can be jerks unless they sense equal intellect on the other side.

Sorry to bother you, getting good help is hard to do.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Which years of ECMs are you focusing on?

The 00-late 01 ECMs use a different oxygen sensor circuit than the late 01-06 cars. Also, the 06 ECU is set up differently regarding ignition power and has extra sensors for brake system pressure. There are some other differences. Finally, there are the MT vs CVT differences.

Are you looking at addressing all of these, or focused on a few first?

Do you plan to share any of the technical details (toolchain, firmware information, etc) or is this going to be a closed source project?

·
Linsight Designer
1,877 Posts
@retepsnikrep could you help this guy

He is looking to fully reverse engineer the inverter IMA, he claims that this forum won’t allow him to sign up because he doesn’t have Facebook.

he could be a useful technical resource if you can get his attention
Mudder s work would be right up his ally

thanx
I've already fully reverse engineered the entire G1 IMA pinout... and have designed a PCB with a new microcontroller. If he's a competent firmware engineer, I'd love for him to take my initial work and create his own firmware. He should reach out to me... everything I do is open source and I'll even send him hardware and get him up to speed... but he's going to need to take the first step by reaching out to me.

This is off-topic, so let's focus back on Peter's ECM.

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which years of ECMs are you focusing on?

The 00-late 01 ECMs use a different oxygen sensor circuit than the late 01-06 cars. Also, the 06 ECU is set up differently regarding ignition power and has extra sensors for brake system pressure. There are some other differences. Finally, there are the MT vs CVT differences.

Are you looking at addressing all of these, or focused on a few first?

Do you plan to share any of the technical details (toolchain, firmware information, etc) or is this going to be a closed source project?
Far too early to answer any of those specifics. Sorry.

What I would say though is...

If it as an early non flashable ECM whatever years or part numbers they might be, we probably won't be looking at them at all.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've already fully reverse engineered the entire G1 IMA pinout... and have designed a PCB with a new microcontroller.
Did you do this for the BCM, and if so, what did you use to read the battery voltage? (I am curious as to what is inside the green modules inside the BCM that provide isolation and an analog output proportional to battery voltage.)

·
Linsight Designer
1,877 Posts
Did you do this for the BCM, and if so, what did you use to read the battery voltage? (I am curious as to what is inside the green modules inside the BCM that provide isolation and an analog output proportional to battery voltage.)
No, I didn't reverse engineer the BCM, but Peter has completely deciphered the BATTSCI data stream that the BCM sends to the MCM. I don't use the BCM in Linsight; Linsight has a built-in Lithium BMS system (which makes the OEM BCM unneccessary).

Inside the green modules is a galvanically isolated center-referenced ADC with two channels, such that each isolated module can read two adjacent stack votlages. If you want to know anything else about it, please start a new thread.

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small update.

We are moving on with this and thanks to kind donation we have got several ECU's on the bench being looked at.

However it looks like we still need a 405 US ECM, so if anyone has one let us know on here. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts