Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[mod insert] The "new" extension info starts on page 4 near bottom of page, S.B. 06-057. Remember the original extension is _also_ separately in force and is slightly different, S.B. 06-027. So read the section that applies to your current State of residence.[end]

So we in the US now have the same warranty extension they did in Canada. I was telling one of the service reps at the local dealership when Honda Canada issued their warranty extension and he saw me today and immediately told me they finally issued it here a few days ago. Here's what the Campaign Announcement says:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: May 12, 2006
To: All Honda Sales, Service & Parts Managers
RE: Campaign Announcement

American Honda is announcing a product update to replace certain IMA components to help prevent IMA battery deterioration. We are also announcing a warranty extension for the IMA battery. Currently, this product update and warranty extension applies only to states where there is an abnormally high replacement rate for IMA batteries. These states include Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Nevada and Texas [mod edit; new bold emphasis. mod insert; The remainder of states are covered for the same time and mileage in the new extension as noted above, but using a _slightly_ different approach]. In these states, the warranty for the IMA battery has been extended to 10 years of 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The IMA battery control module(s) allows the battery to overcharge. Occasional overcharging is a desirable function, but too many frequently repeated cycles of overcharge can damage the IMA battery. This damage is the result of excessive current and heat build up. Unique local topographical and ambient conditions in affected states, combined with a driving cycle that typically keeps the IMA battery fully charged, creat this potential problem.

Repair Strategy
On 2000-01 Insights, the product update repair is to replace the battery condition monitor (BCM) and the motor control module (MCM). On 2002-04 Insights, the product update repair is to replace only the BCM. For product update repair and warranty information, refer to Service Bulletin 06-026, Product Update: Premature IMA Battery Module Failure.

Before beginning work on a vehicle for the product update, verify the elegibility by checking at least one of these items:

- The customer has a notification letter.
- The vehicle shown on your campaign responsibility report.
- The vehicle is shown as eligible on a VIN status inquiry.

In addition, check for a punch mark above the 14th character of the engine compartment VIN. A punch mark in that location means the product update has already been done.

To verify elegibility for the IMA battery warranty extension, you must do a VIN status inquiry. For more information on the warranty extension, refer to Service Bulletin 06-027: Warranty Extension: IMA Battery.

Customer Notification
Customers will be sent a notification of the product update and warranty extension the week of May 22, 2006. Approximately 4,700 vehicles are affected by this update campaign.

Parts information
A small quantity of IMA repair kits (for 2000-01 Insights) and battery control monitors (for 2002-04 Insights) will be available the week of May 15, 2006, through normal channels.

Sincerely,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Division

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it sounds like they are proactively replacing BCM and MCM's to hopfully prevent battery deterioration. At least they are taking care of us.

G

·
0 Posts
I wonder if we will be graced with this in the UK, if we doo I'll certainly be keeping the Insight many more years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rick, thanks for posting the Honda notice to its dealers. I just received my notice today.

Their words on what the problem is:
The Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system in your vehicle assists the gasoline engine for better acceleration. Over time, excessive overcharging cycles of the battery that powers the IMA system can cause early deterioration. These cycles are typically created by operation of the vehicle in unique topographical and local conditions where the IMA battery typically remains fully charged.

Sounds as though they're introducing an even more conservative charging regimen for the NiMh batteries. Perhaps this explains why, for the brief time I've driven my (wife's) brand-new Insight, the IMA battery seems to recharge slower when compared to my 2002 Insight - this is all subjective, as I'm now used to MIMA giving me the ability for really fast regens.

Does this make a case for keeping the IMA battery slightly below full-charge and thus provide a buffer zone to preclude overcharging which is what Honda's worried about? Sure wish we could have a Honda IMA design engineer contribute to this Forum.

In any event, wonderful news about the IMA battery warranty extension. Thank you, Honda. 8)

Now, before taking them up on their offer, I need to properly re-dress and tape up the MIMA wiring and take the labels off the switches and do something with the joystick ... :roll:

JoeS.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got the notice for mine today too. I'll have to see if I have the new owners address still and forward it to him.

According to the bulliten keeping the battery below the full level might help, but I have a feeling there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know.

What I'm woundering now is are the early 02 Insight's going to get both modules as mine did when the IMA pack was replaced? Maybe I can see if there's anything listing VIN ranges.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm confused... so are ALL model years covered under the new warranty, and only the 02 and lower get the new parts? Or are only the 02 and lower years covered under the warranty extension?

Oh and one more... I bought my 2005 insight in Seattle, WA but live in Reno, NV. Would I still be eligible?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was reading this post when realized I just got a letter from Honda today. Sure enough, there was my notice too. I have a 2001. In layman's terms, if I understand it right, my car's IMA (big) battery is OK, but the thingy that recharges it might be tuned a little too high, meaning it overcharges the battery which will eventually lead to early death to the IMA battery.

Is that right?

The letter also states "These cycles are typically created by operation of the vehicle in unique topographical and local conditions where the IMA battery typically remains fully charged."

Well, that's doesn't apply to me. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, which means I drive lots of hills and grades, which I assume is actually *good* for the IMA battery, as it's getting its exercise. It's you poor folks who live in flat places like Arizona that don't drain down your charge enough, that will see problems if you don't bring them into Honda for their very generous free-of-charge repair.

Which leads me to conclude that this is a revenge against hypermilers who drive their Insights only on Sundays, with 85 degree weather, no wind, on flat, new asphalt, drafting a truck and topping out at 47 mph. Well, you got your comeuppance! :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
surfseeker7 said:
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, which means I drive lots of hills and grades, which I assume is actually *good* for the IMA battery, as it's getting its exercise.
I, too, live in the San Francisco Bay Area but definitely do not feel the same way. The major commute corridors (680, 880, 101) are all flat with the exception of a small 5 mile stretch of 680 over the Sunol Grade.

I commute 60 miles from Concord to San Jose (and 60 miles back) each weekday. I've noticed that my IMA gauge gets used at the hill but, when traveling on the flat stretches, is just about pinned at 100% (especially with a light foot). Since I've already got 93K on the car the extended warranty notice was a welcome surprise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Clarification?

I gather from reading this thread that my car would be covered since it was originally purchased in Colorado? The car now lives in Massachusetts, as do I, and I am the 2nd owner, would Honda know that because I purchased it from a Honda dealer? If anyone finds a range of VINS covered, this info woud be great to have.

BTW, just got an email asking where they can send my 2nd place trophy for the Tour de Sol drive in! We had to leave early and didn't expect we had even placed.

Kyle

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hmmmm......Sunday May, 28 and I haven't received a letter yet. Maybe it will arrive next week.

Interesting how Honda appears to have extended the IMA battery warranty only in the topographical hot weather states where the ambient temps can be high enough during the Summer months to fry an egg on your hood. :lol: Strange that they left out New Mexico and a few other inferno states. :?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I second my Midwest friend from Illinois. I hope it gets extended.

As a lawyer, I suppose it's my nature to overanalyze what might appear as a simple warranty extension :roll:

Honda almost has to extend this to all 50 states. How does Honda plan on regulating these select states? For example, what if an Insight was bought, registered, and in Cali from 2000 until last month, when it was brought to and registered in Indiana? Or the opposite scenario. What if an Insight spent 6 years in Indiana, and was within the past month brought to and registered in Cali? And then if exceptions are made regarding qualified and nonqualified states, where and how will Honda draw the line?

In addition, the states listed are, for the most part, hot weather states. However, I would think that 20 degree winters and 90 degree summers in Indiana put much more strain on a battery than 75 degree year-round weather in San Diego.

While any goodwill warranty extension is gracious, I find it odd that this one seems to target high population states--CO, CA, FL, etc. It might be that this is primarily motivated by two factors: (1) PR and (2) cost-benefit (as it is probably much cheaper for Honda to swap out two electronic chips to prevent premature failure instead of a battery pack down the road). If this is the case then any extension to other states is unlikely. However, I would expect an extension if customer satisfaction and service is one of the main factors. 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine is getting the work done now...

My 2001 Insight is at the Honda dealership right now getting the work done.
The parts dept. said they had the parts in stock, so I'm assuming it will be
done at the end of the day, as they've promised. I'll post again about my
impressions on whether the replaced modules make a noticable difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
florida_gators said:
I second my Midwest friend from Illinois. I hope it gets extended.

As a lawyer, I suppose it's my nature to overanalyze what might appear as a simple warranty extension :roll:

Honda almost has to extend this to all 50 states. How does Honda plan on regulating these select states? For example, what if an Insight was bought, registered, and in Cali from 2000 until last month, when it was brought to and registered in Indiana? Or the opposite scenario. What if an Insight spent 6 years in Indiana, and was within the past month brought to and registered in Cali? And then if exceptions are made regarding qualified and nonqualified states, where and how will Honda draw the line?

In addition, the states listed are, for the most part, hot weather states. However, I would think that 20 degree winters and 90 degree summers in Indiana put much more strain on a battery than 75 degree year-round weather in San Diego.

While any goodwill warranty extension is gracious, I find it odd that this one seems to target high population states--CO, CA, FL, etc. It might be that this is primarily motivated by two factors: (1) PR and (2) cost-benefit (as it is probably much cheaper for Honda to swap out two electronic chips to prevent premature failure instead of a battery pack down the road). If this is the case then any extension to other states is unlikely. However, I would expect an extension if customer satisfaction and service is one of the main factors. 8)
Indeed, not only that I'd like to see what the ownership numbers are by state or area.

You noted about temperatures, I think it may be actual ownership numbers in those areas.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I still haven't received my letter from Honda about the warranty extension and I 'm beginning to wonder about what I should do. Any ideas?

G

·
0 Posts
My letter only arrived a week ago...seems they are staggering them.

Anyone get the fix yet? anything, uh, insightful to report?

1 - 20 of 280 Posts
About this Discussion
279 Replies
131 Participants
S Keith
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing