Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this forum with no success. Maybe I missed one of the posts addressing this?

I had a quick question regarding the center armrest USB port that is inside the center armrest. From what I have read, the connection to the Honda Radio is a proprietary connector. It does not look like its a standard USB?

I would like to use this cable into my Clarion Dash mounted system which has a connection for a standard female USB port. The question is if there is such an adapter cable for this purpose. It would be a male USB to Honda female connector?

I hate to run another cable to the armrest again when one is already there. I did check with Crutchfield to no avail.

Thanks for any help, Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Good question. I never looked into it as the newer head units put out several amps for charging phones, tablets, etc than what this did when it. Me, I like illuminated cables, but thats just me. :)

I believe it goes to the white connector next to the main hu connector. only 2 wires are needed for charging and you can trace them with a vom.

I think it would be easier to buy a cable if your choice and run it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cobb,

I have the service manuel and will look to see if I can identify the plug and them do a Google for USB to Honda plug or something. If there is such a thing, maybe I can match it up via the diagram to make sure its the right one.
They make adapter cables for everything else. It would seem to me that this would be a good one to have available. I will let you know my progression and/or results.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I agree with Cobb, just run your own usb cable. What device do you use? Most of us with the factory usb find that our charge/dock cables get pinched in the armrest cover anyway. You could run a usb to a dash mount dock for easier use. In the factory configuration, only an iphone or ipod allows head unit control. Android devices require you to use the device itself to select songs, albums, playlists, and podcasts.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Egads,
I use an Android but have been using this port to plug my Flash stick in to play MP3's and it works great. I dont want to lose that as I sort of like the convenience of having that. I will look for a conversion cable if available and if not I will run a new standard one.
I figured that if anyone had this connector here I would find out the info here. So far, nothing but will keep looking. Thx

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Some head units have 2 usb ports, a plug in the rear for a cable to connect to a phone and one on the front for a usb stick for music.

The arm rest is too far back for me to use for my phone. I put my phone either in the passenger seat or the front center cup holders.

If you look in the photos on the dash where I had 3 cigar lighter accessory outlets I installed a new one that includes a usb plug too for charging. :evil:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It look like there is some sort of a USB cable adapter box that is mounted in the armrest box which breaks out into two cables to go into the radio. Leave it to Honda to make things complicated. I was wondering if I can somehow use this cable to plug into the Clarion standard USB connection? I have attached the PDF I have on how they route the wires and use this box. It sort of sheds some light to a confusing situation for me.
The below is a PDF file.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Cobb, he has or is replacing the EX radio with a Nav unit. He now has a usb with a weird connection and inoperable bluetooth and steering wheel volume controls.

I think I would have bought an LX. (of course this late in the Insight game there is probably not much choice)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Egads,

I am OK with the steering wheel controls or so Crutchfield tells me I will be. I bought the Idatalink Maestro ADS-MSW which will match the radio to the steering wheel controls. I should be OK there.

I am just trying to use the existing USB cable in the center console to play my USb flash disk. It would be nice to have it work as it is already there. It would save me work having to run a new line there.

Cobb, not to concerned about charging although if its an active USB port it should also charge via the native 5v in the line.

Thanks guys for all the help. Even Honda referred me to this site! :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a followup guys to share the information I got after a lot of contacting the dealer, the manufacturers of the equipment and doing research into my service manual, here's what I found out.

On the USB plug-in adapter. I was correct and verified that there is an adapter box that basically creates the USB port that plugs into the radio. Its located below the center armrest, hence the USB port which is plugged into it. I will lose this port but can run my own USB wire to the front where the new Navigation is behind the mounting as the Clarion has two rear USB ports.

You will not lose functionality of the steering wheel controls reference to Audio controls, mode switch, and on-off phone hooks, etc by use of the Maestro SW adapter box. It is pretty decent so far. You can program the adapter box right from you computer and program two functions for each button. There is a momentary push and a push and hold function. You can essentially match what you have now and add some functionality.
Programming was fairly easy but it does like you to use Internet Explorer and does not Firefox all that much.
The Hands Free Talk Unit is located on the passenger firewall just to the right of the glove box. You have to catch a green wire on pin 2 of the 28 pin connector on the HFT unit. This will give you functionality of the hands free and hook/off hook of the phone. This will be connected to a wire on the Maestro box.

Thats where I am so far and am taking my time with this to get it right. I will have everything right before the installation is done.

If you need any information or diagrams of all this stuff, don't hesitate to ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts