Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Has anyone purchased used IMA batteries from a auto recycler (junk yard). I have seen them for sale off crash damaged vehicles with 65,000 miles. Prices range from $500 to $900 compared to $2500 new. Also, is swapping out IMA batteries a DIY job? I jave a 2010 insight with signs of IMA battery failure. Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
buying from a wrecker is always hit or miss ... but if it hasnt sit long u probably have a good chance of it being alright ... but you can get a new or remanufactured pack for not alot more from dorman, ampedhybrid and bumblebee ... i suppose it depends on ur budget and comfort with risk

as for the removal of the old pack and installation of the new one ... i watched a youtube video of the process and it seems fairly straightforward providing you have basic know how around a car and socket

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
How many miles on your Insight? Where was it first sold? Ever had any of the software updates? What is the condition of the 12 volt battery under the hood?
You may be trying to drive a brad with a sledgehammer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The car has 120,000, bought it used from the dealer. The IMA light came on when the tempuratures got real cold a couple of weeks ago. Replaced the 12 volt battery in front and that took care of some problems. The auto stop does not ingage anymore and the car seems to bump and hesitate at times and gas mileage is down. There are no code numbers and the IMA light has not come on again. It almost seems like a transmission problem? like its slipping. Talked to a knowlegable friend and he mentioned the Honda cvt transmissions can crap out some times. I'll google "Honda cvt transmission" and see what joys are there.

·
Super Moderator
4,694 Posts
Just change the CVT fluid and filters. The fluid needs to be changed every other oil change. Chances are that it has never been done.

Sam

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I second the recommendation to change the CVT fluid. Do that every other oil change or every 18,000-20,000 miles. The MID will only set the code to have that done every fourth oil change I think. That is too long.

When you say “the dealer” do you mean a Honda dealer? Do take it to them and make sure all the software updates have been done. They make a world of difference.

The IMA May recover with a fresh 12 volt battery and some driving. Autostop does not operate in very cold weather. (Which I know nothing about living in Souther California)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I change the CVT fluid and filters, do you think the transmisdion might perform better? I imagine there could be dirt and debris in there making it slip? On thr other hand, the transmission could be toast.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
All Honda require transmission fluid changes. Many do not get them. Start there. How long have you had this Insight? In other words is this new behavior?
The CVT feels like a rubber band when you are used to a trans that shifts through gears.
If it's really cold, check your tire pressures. One needs to put in more as it gets colder and less once it warms up. Many people don't realize this. It is very important to check tire pressure cold. It is the only way to know what they really are. Get a good dial or digital gauge from a parts store. Use a compressor at home or at the closest station. Tire pressures make huge difference in fuel mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
egads
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing