Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a long phone call with yet another person that called to ask this question.
"How can I tell if this used Insight is working normally? How can I tell if the battery is good?"

Anyone that has driven an Insight can tell if the acceleration is normal, and if the IMA is working, in a few minutes, but how does a first time driver tell if the pack is working, or get an idea of the packs condition?
I get this question several times a week, and would like some of you veteran insight drivers opinions.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What about throwing the breaker to disable or pulling the fuse in the engine compartment to the IMA ?
Do a test acceleration both on and off.
This wouldn't totally show condition of batteries as they could be working but not to full capacity but would prove if part of the system had failed.

DGate

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of the things I ask them to check:

Drive the car hard, climb hills or rapidly accelerate, and to watch the SOC gage. If it drops gradually and runs to within 1-2 bars of the bottom, it is probably ok. If they get a recal, then the pack has some issues.

To go down a steep hill with the brakes lightly pressed to see if it will charge to nearly the top.

I ask them to drive with light throttle and see if the car hesitates (EGR)

Run the driver window up and down and see if it moves smoothly.

Check the oil and see if it is clean( the guy changes his oil)

Does it go through the gears with the syncro working properly.

Dgate's IMA on and off acceleration test is a reasonable test for IMA operation, but will not tell if the battery is good.

Any more?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
battery-drain down

I'd add the old battery-drain-down test. Go in auto-idle-stop and turn lights, etc. on. Record at what SoC level the recal occurs. Then re-charge with 3krpm in idle and see where the upper recal happens.

Also while driving at light throttle, check if it goes into lean burn and runs well there. Might be difficult for an inexperienced driver, though!

·
Registered
243 Posts
For the regen testing, you need to note that...
*On a long hill, regen may cut out before the bottom of the hill because the pack is heating up. This is especially true on updated BCMs.
*Hitting a bump or pothole will trigger anti-lock which turns off regen.

Here's a little list of things you don't want to see.
* Stalling on auto-start.
* Lug it up a long hill where you are using more than 5 bars of assist and your speed is not increasing (much). If Assist suddenly drops to 4 or 5 bars, you have a weak battery pack.

·
Administrator
12,226 Posts
Expanded list

This is a good idea for a topic which perhaps could become a sticky later when we have thrashed out what should be included. :)
The IMA is covered by the above posts so let's expand it a bit to make it a comprehensive guide.

My list of questions/observations would also include.

1 Has the car been in an accident, what is it's current title/status/finance?
2 Has the car been serviced regulary, who by, where are the receipts. Check service book and stamps.
3 How long has the present owner had the car, why are they selling it.
4 Are the wheels badly damaged/kerbed? (Expensive to replace!)
5 Does it have the correct Re92/B391 Oem tyres fitted? Check for uneven wear & pressures. If not why not? Owner may have a good reason such as winter driving on poor roads. Is the correct skinny spare tyre present, jack and tools? Locking wheel nuts and adaptor?
6 Has it had any warranty work done? Recalls? What? When? By whom?
7 How does the engine run/sound? Is the engine bay clean and tidy?
When cold Insights can sound like a bag of spanners :shock: but that should go within a minute. How long has the 12v Battery been fitted? When was it last changed?
Any fluid leaks? All fluids at correct levels? Any grey sludge contamination under radiator cap?
8 Is the windscreen scratched/chipped? Are the wiper blades in good condition? (Sign of a poorly maintained vehicle)
9 Is the interior clean and undamaged? Carpets/Mats present? Original or aftermarket stereo/speakers, have they got the old ones?
10 Is there any missing/damaged/lose trim, clips, nuts, bolts inside or out?
11 I would also take an ODBII code reader, (I have a ScanguageII) and would check for codes, and see how various readings held up during a test drive.
12 Underneath vehicle I would want to check for any obvious grounding or other damage, are all the underbody panels/trays intact and correctly fitted. The screws for them under the engine seize solid at the slightest opportunity causing damage to the panels.

Can't think of any more at the minute. Over to you.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good things to check. It will be useful to list the things to check in a step by step form, with clear written for novice instructions for any of the items that would assume prior Insight experience.
We need to remember that the guy may only get one look at the car and a single test ride to make a determination.
Maintenance records, lack or fluid leaks, correct tires, clean interior, will give a good picture of the care that the car has had.
I would not decline to by a car for most of those reasons, but a crappy battery pack, and frequent recals would make me think twice.

Armins suggestion of some variation of the autostop battery run down test as a capacity and condition test for the pack with clear guidelines as to whats normal and what is not could be pretty informative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts