Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 2000 Silver Insight for sale at Gulfview Motors in New Port Richey, FL. It's silver and has flames painted on the side. I don't have time to stop and look at it. I pulled this off their website:

Department: Gulfview Automotive Group
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 727-845-7200
Fax: 727-844-5913

Dan Fiore

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stopped and looked at the Insight

It is a silver 5 speed with flames painted on it and door trim. Looks like it's in great condition. It has just under 45,000 miles and they they're asking $14k but the salesman said you could probably get it for $12k.

Dan
Florida

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Based on my purchases of Insights, that seems pretty steep.

I got Edwin for a bit under $12k and he had only 14,000 miles and was a 2001 still under full warranty and with the exception of the rear squirter being stopped up (easy to fix) was and still is in absolutely perfect condition and had lmpg in the high 60s. Had service records, talked to the previous owner as well.

Jane was in perfect condition with the exception of a looseness to the side mirror (passenger) which doesn't make any difference in performance, but is a blemish. We got her with the same miles (almost identical) as Edwin and for a bit more when you add in some accessories and such we purchased from the previous very loving and caring owners (who named her Jane in the first place). She is also 2001 and was still under full warranty.

First was a dealer, second was private sale. Based on those prices we paid, I would say that asking $14 is pretty darned high and even $12k is pretty high for a 2000 with that many miles. It is possible (I hope so) that Insights are just going up and up in value...

Those are my two cents.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
p.s. I was trying for force a friend to get an Insight about 7 months ago (he has the silly idea he needs a Prius) and he could have closed the deal on a 2000 in good condition for about $9000 if I recall. I think it had 50,000 miles. It was a private seller. The car was in good shape but showed some wear from use. Mr. Prius chickened out at the last second, but the price was on the table!

Hope that helps.

I hope I remember the figures correctly. :shock:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looked at Kelly Bluebook

Just trying to help guys and gals. In florida, cars don't rust, just fade a bit. Yes I know the Insight doesn't rust but that may be why the cost is higher. Anyways, I put 45k miles into kelly blue book and it says dealer starting negotiation price is $11,420.00 Which is near $12k. I'm sure they can be negotiated with. Later.

Dan in Florida

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought our 2002 Insight on ebay for $11500 3 months ago. I talked to the previous owner yesterday on an unrelated matter and discovered he was paid $7000 for his trade in.
Biggles

·
Registered
105 Posts
They're definitely going for more lately. For example, there's one up on ebay right now, and it's a 2000 and 52k miles. Nonetheless, one of the bidders has gone to $10500, and that's a Honda dealer. I happen to know that the dealer's practice is to bid more than retail, acquire the car, and then, presto chango, as they used to say, it's a Honda Certified Used Car and available on his lot for $2500-3000 more than he paid for it. Good deal? I don't know, but at least I'm neither bidding against him anymore or buying from his dealership. - Pat

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are still good deals to be had on insights. I picked up my 2000 5 speed with AC this summer from a private party with 44K miles on it for $8500 and that included the extended 100K warrantee and the 6 disc changer. There is another one with a little higher milage for sale in Portland OR right now for $9600 on the craigs list. Its just a matter for waiting and watching :)

Hodakaguy

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just sold my 2001 Insight CVT w/ 65,000 miles for $11,900. It had sustained some rear bumper damage as well..

This was also more than I paid for it when I bought it from a dealer 4 months prior, with 12,000 less miles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My girlfriend just bought a 2000 5spd w/ 128,000mi for $7000, it has some very minor front bumper damage as well. But otherwise is in nearly perfect condition for the milage.

I suppose I will be acting as her surrogate on this board since she is not too interested in dealing with bulletin boards. And hopefully we will begin sharing the Insight for in town driving whenever possible.

I have a '94 4runner which is great for hauling and driving in bad weather, but it is a gas sucking monster. I love it to death, but it only gets like 15mpg in the city. So if she is willing we both be enjoying the Insight's fuel economy whenever possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts