Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Obviously, I am new to the forum, and I have been trying to find some information on the Insight.

I am trying to get an '03 or '04 MT Insight, since those are the last years (so far) that are allowed in the California HOV lanes. If any of you are familiar with Hwy 4 (Antioch, Pittsburg, etc. area), the HOV lane is a real commodity. Add that to the fact that I drive about 80 miles round trip five days a week, and the Insight is a very logical choice to replace my (aging) '98 Honda Accord.

Through searching, I saw this post from jgessling:
I've heard that the battery control logic was changed somewhere mid 2002 production. That version is what Honda installs now when replacing battery packs. So to be safe choose 2003 or later.
So if I were to buy a 2001 Insight, and replaced the battery pack, would it now have the updated battery control logic? Or would I be better off buying 2003 or newer?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Battery control logic

I feel your pain. Although I don't have to go on Highway 4, I do enjoy the HOV lane, northbound in the afternoon, on 680 through San Ramon.

There are 3 parts to getting updated battery and control modules. The Battery Condition Module (BCM), the Motor Control Module (MCM) and the Battery itself. List for all three installed is $5-6k.

I got all mine replaced for $1500. But I was the original owner and had always gone to the same dealer I bought it from etc. I'm not sure what deal you could get on a vehicle that was bought from a third party.

You do know about the battery warranty being extended and Honda replacing MCM and BCM on older models right? If you were to buy one of those, I would be sure that the replacement deal and warranty extension was transferable. Otherwise, I would be wary of buying a 2000/1/2 with significant mileage.

(I might be getting my $1500 reimbursed under that deal, at least I applied for it)

Also consider that the HOV stickers come with the car. New ones will run out in August according to estimates I've read.

Best of luck,

Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, Jim. I am actually considering a blue 2001 that I found at the Livermore Jaguar dealership. I am going to check it out in person tonight, but just wanted to be armed with information in case I fall in love. We all know that love can loosen the purse strings! :lol:

I am going to call up Winter Honda and see if they will honor the extended warranty and battery replacement deal. The extended warranty... is that the 8 years/80k miles?

Btw, the Insight I found in Livermore has 63,095 miles and they are asking $13,988. I hope I can talk them down a bit. Kelly Blue Book shows that the price should be about $13,500 - if the car is immaculate.

Oh yes - and the picture shows that it already has at least one HOV sticker on the front bumper. Lucky me! :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim - I forgot to mention that I also commute on 680N in the evenings... coming from San Ramon. Sometimes that stretch going out to Walnut Creek and Concord can be such a bear!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just FYI regarding CA Carpool (HOV) lane stickers: I didn't have any problem getting them for my 2006 Insight CVT (purchased Feb. 2006).

Best Regs,
Rick
2006 Red CVT
55.4 Lifetime MPG @ 7,000 miles

·
Registered
101 Posts
Warranty letter

The letter I got said (paraphrasing). The dealer will replace one or both of the modules (BCM, MCM) based on the versions in the car. And the battery warranty is extended to 10 years, 150k miles.

Be sure you ask the dealer if they will do the module(s) and honor the battery extended warranty.
If that's all taken care of, this sounds like a pretty good deal.

Good luck, Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
101 Posts
DMV laxity

Others have also gotten stickers for newer models too. Search this group for some examples. Seems like it's worth it to send in the application and hope the DMV doesn't notice.

Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, I went and test drove the Insight in Livermore. It has a little over 62k miles and they want $14k for it. I was a little concerned, however, because of two things:

1) The hood on the passenger side does not fit flush with the front fender. It's slightly noticeable with the naked eye, but very noticeable when you run your hand over it. The Carfax does not have any accidents reported on the car, but we all know Carfax isn't 100% accurate all the time.

2) When driving, there is a soft "clunk clunk" sound that seems to be coming from the back. I checked to see if there was anything loose in the trunk, no luck. When I brought it up with the salesman (during the test drive), he said, "I don't hear it... At any rate, I just turn the music up," and he turned the radio on - loud. -_-

So... since you guys know more about how this car should be... is this normal for an Insight (it is a 2001)? Do any of your guys' cars make subtle clunking sounds while driving?

·
Registered
101 Posts
test drive

there have been reports of hoods being mis adjusted and easily fixed (although I can't find one now). The fix was to losen and adjust the hinge.

Regarding the clunk, that's not right. No car should make that kind of noise. Mine certainly doesn't.

Does the frequency of the clunk get faster as you drive faster? And the way the sales droid acted makes me real suspicous. I would really want to find out the cause of such a noise before putting any money into this deal (just my opinion).

Jim
'01 #191

1 - 11 of 11 Posts