Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
He has 36 24-cell 1.1kwh packs in parallel so no this is for the inter pack connections not rewiring cells within the pack.
I misunderstood.

36p24s <<< requires re-wiring -- but one single 24s BMS for that whole battery
or
24s36p << no re-wiring but requires 36 seperate 24s BMSs for the whole battery .. if that is the route being taken .. ok , no rewiring is needed.

Is this for a vehicle install or something else?
My LTO rewiring will be for initially residential solar.
Initially ~6.6kwh 12p12s (~24v) .. one single 12s BMS
I might expand it latter to a ~13kwh 12p24s (~48v) .. one single 24s BMS

After I test them all .. then I break all the original cell to cell connections , to then re-wire into that new arrangement.

As noted above .. I think I misunderstood the intent .. cell level rewiring would not be needed .. if you use 36 separate 24 cell BMSs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I misunderstood.

36p24s <<< requires re-wiring -- but one single 24s BMS for that whole battery
or
24s36p << no re-wiring but requires 36 seperate 24s BMSs for the whole battery .. if that is the route being taken .. ok , no rewiring is needed.

My LTO rewiring will be for initially residential solar.
Initially ~6.6kwh 12p12s (~24v) .. one single 12s BMS
I might expand it latter to a ~13kwh 12p24s (~48v) .. one single 24s BMS

After I test them all .. then I break all the original cell to cell connections , to then re-wire into that new arrangement.

As noted above .. I think I misunderstood the intent .. cell level rewiring would not be needed .. if you use 36 separate 24 cell BMSs.
Yeah I originally thought the same as you earlier in the thread before I realized he wasn't doing the typical parallel first then series. Even at $30 the BMS cost on his route is large and it bumps up the cost of the inverter as well since 24v for LTO likes 11s and 48v likes 22s but the fit packs are 12s and 24s. Obviously it does save you the rewiring time if you do find a combination of BMS/inverter/charge controller that plays nice together and doesn't break the bank with the high voltages of 12s or 24s but that tends to be expensive.

I've dabbled with both approaches on my tiny solar (4.4kwh) and to be honest while I do like the flexibility that parallel first gives you and don't mind the rewiring work (plus I want to play around with LTO in my spot welder) the cost of the busbar, cell level fuses, wires tends to approach a similar dollar amount to a BMS anyways. What are you using for that part of your packs? I am using a 12 terminal marine fuse block so that both wiring in parallel and fusing is easy but maybe there is a better way.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
What are you using for that part of your packs? I am using a 12 terminal marine fuse block so that both wiring in parallel and fusing is easy but maybe there is a better way.
I'm not that far along yet.
I am a turtle .. and it will be a while before that project is finished.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts