Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing about how the value of a used Insight has been beginning to "appreciate." And by this I don't mean that the value of the car is going up, since any car with higher miles and age will decrease. However, does anyone know if the depreciation of the Insight has slowed drastically over the past few months due to gas prices? I realize this may be hard to determine, since the market for this car is so small, but I'm just wondering if higher gas prices have affected the value of our cars.

Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Based on my completely unscientific observation of the prices that Insights have been selling for on ebay, yes. By how much? Enough to make me take notice, which means $1,000+. I first started to notice this after my Insight was damaged last summer and I began looking for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I paid $9800 in Feb. 2004 for a 2001 MT with air (45000 miles) in Virginia. Today, I looked at kelly blue book online and they give the retail at $12.9k and the private party at around $10.3k. Also, if you look at ebay, there is at least one bid on a 2001 with 46,000 right now for $10,995.

I think the older models have at least stopped depreciating and are probably appreciating. It is hard to be happy about higher gas prices, but I have to say I don't think about it nearly as much as some others do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
used appreciation?

"does anyone know if the depreciation of the Insight has slowed drastically over the past few months due to gas prices?"

- I don't know, but I can say that there's not any in the S.F. Classified Ads anymore, and hasn't been for the last several times that I've gone arm-chair tire-kicking. My guess is that folks aren't getting rid of 'em.

Berk with a used 2000, ~ 58 mpg in the mtns.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Once again no hard data and 'unscientific' approach to get my conclusions...

Back in October 04 when I bought mine. It seemed 40-50k mile 01' Insights sold for 10.5-12.5. Now - my fiance is interested for gas purposes, I'm seeing significantly higher milage, 50-80k for the same price range. Also I see alot less advertised (although, I have not looked as hard as I did when I bought mine) .

Also, as im sure many relate, Insight owners/driver answer many questions by people who see the car and curiousity strikes. I have noticed alot more interest in the car particularly within the last month because everyone know sthe vague idea these cars get good gas milage, and they are seeing 60-80 dollar gas fill ups while we see 20-25. yet we drive significantly further per tank.

so in short - I've noticed prices for used insights are more than they were before for the same thing.. but finding 30k mile insight also got harder with 9months time passing. But thats not appreciation thats depreciation slowing. Also exacerbating trends is the value of money. 10,000 does not mean what it did even 6 months ago, look at housing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes. I compared my car on Edmunds to the time when I bought it in March 2004 to about four months ago, and the price went up about $500. This is after I put about 10,000 miles on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts