Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I use my AC, depending on where I drive, I loose anywhere from 4 to 10 MPG. Without AC, I typically get from the low 40's to mid 50's. With AC, I seem to get low 30's to mid 40's; on the same routes.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use ECON mode as much as you can. It will cycle the compressor less often. You'll take less of a mpg hit, but you may be a tad hotter.
I do use Econ 99+% of the time. Maybe I need to turn the AC temp up? I typically run it between 65-68 degrees F.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do use Econ 99+% of the time. Maybe I need to turn the AC temp up? I typically run it between 65-68 degrees F.
I keep my temp typically around 72-74. I'll sometime crank it down to 68 but to start out will crank it back up to 72 or 74 during the drive. I find it only effects the gas economy by about 1-3mpg.

On my 250mile trip from Pittsburgh to Maryland, I pretty much kept the AC at 72 and still netted >50MPG for the entire ride.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep my temp typically around 72-74. I'll sometime crank it down to 68 but to start out will crank it back up to 72 or 74 during the drive. I find it only effects the gas economy by about 1-3mpg.

On my 250mile trip from Pittsburgh to Maryland, I pretty much kept the AC at 72 and still netted >50MPG for the entire ride.
Today, I ran the AC at 74. It kept me adequately cool and it did help fuel economy quite a bit. It seems that with the Insight, the AC affects MPG in city driving quite a bit more than highway.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Myself I cant break 56mpg with ac. Without ac I can hit 67mpg.

I find its the coldest on the lo setting, auto with econ off.Use of sport mode ust wastes gas.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i always keep mine to the lowest
is that bad???

idk but everytime i use it for a 40 min drive on the freeway i feel like i didnt use that much gas
but then i start drivin street i feel like the little gas arm goes down faster

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I find the auto setting works best and 73 or so if its just me in the car. My passengers like 68 better.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, its two fold. One setting saves fuel in stop n go traffic. Another when its set closer to the outside temp saves while cruzing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Too Hot in St. Louis Today - Used Park

The only way I could find to reliably get the A/C to work was to put the Insight in Park at stop lights -- with or without Econ Mode. Seems like a pain. Lots of short trips this morning running errands. Is there an easier way to force the A/C to blow?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put it in S mode while i'm rolling up to a stoplight and the engine never shuts off. This way i can leave it on econ mode and just flip the shifter from D to S whenever i know i want the engine/ac to stay running at the light. Seems easier than going into park, and less of a pain.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I took my own advice and wow, it works. I use to set the auto mode to 73 on outside air so there is a flow in the car assuming hte hybrid battery stays cooler. Someoneposted the inside temp had little effect on the ability of the cells to stay cool or not, unless I mis read his post.

So, Ive been using the following setting, LO, ac on, inside air,low fan speed and vent. Wow, even in 90 degrees accoring to the mid, with just the 2 driver side vents open I can keep from sweating and exceed 60mpg. Way better than 52-54.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I took my own advice and wow, it works. I use to set the auto mode to 73 on outside air so there is a flow in the car assuming hte hybrid battery stays cooler. Someoneposted the inside temp had little effect on the ability of the cells to stay cool or not, unless I mis read his post.

So, Ive been using the following setting, LO, ac on, inside air,low fan speed and vent. Wow, even in 90 degrees accoring to the mid, with just the 2 driver side vents open I can keep from sweating and exceed 60mpg. Way better than 52-54.
I wish I could too.

How are you doing that and what is your tire settings?

Btw, I'm in NC and your in VA so both of our summers have been very HOT.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i use the same settings cobb uses and get bad mpg
LO, inside air, slowest fan speed, and even the 2 driver vents only also

idk how people can get up to 60 mpg, i drive careful but idk y i cant even get passed 40 easily

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
cheesie, ac is just one of many features of the car that changes the mpg. To get 38, you must have a lot of stop n go.

Most of my driving is the interstate at 55mph, i95, i295, i64. I work 2nd shift so I am on them outside of rush hour and traffic jams. I just go in the right lane at 55 and watch the cars zoom by as I rock or rap out.

My tires I use 44psi. Any more I trigger trac control taking off from adead stop.

·
Registered
649 Posts
yeah ur right
last night i drove 59mph on the freeway for 35 min with the ac on
my car told me i got like 55mpg on the drive
i didnt like driving that slow thou
i hate wen i see all the cars passing me fast

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
cheesie
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing