Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I want to put the front of car up on axle stands while I change the oil and filter.
Could someone guide me on where to place the stands on front of car as I'll obviously be using the jacking point on side of car to lift?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
Hi All,

I want to put the front of car up on axle stands while I change the oil and filter.
Could someone guide me on where to place the stands on front of car as I'll obviously be using the jacking point on side of car to lift?
Thanks
This is way I do it. I'm sure there are others.

There are 3 jacking points under rocker panel on each side of car. I use the middle point to jack. That will lift entire side of car. You can then put a jackstand under the forward jacking point and release your jack. Do the same on the other side. Make sure your jack is rolling properly on the floor or driveway, otherwise it will probably pull car toward you enough to tip prior jackstand. Car gets a bit wonky so check frequently as you proceed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

There are 3 jacking points under rocker panel on each side of car. I use the middle point to jack. That will lift entire side of car. You can then put a jackstand under the forward jacking point and release your jack. Do the same on the other side. Make sure your jack is rolling properly on the floor or driveway, otherwise it will probably pull car toward you enough to tip prior jackstand. Car gets a bit wonky so check frequently as you proceed.

Thanks I thought it was the gen 1 that had the midpoint lift didn't realise it was the second gen as well. Thanks

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Why spend 15 minutes jacking, placing stands and jacking again to remove stands when you can drive up on ramps in 10 seconds?

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
Thanks I thought it was the gen 1 that had the midpoint lift didn't realise it was the second gen as well. Thanks
Sorry, I got that wrong. Didn't notice you had a 2nd gen. Not sure what is under that. Anyway, Ati has a better answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Why spend 15 minutes jacking, placing stands and jacking again to remove stands when you can drive up on ramps in 10 seconds

Ha ha your right just haven't got a set but seem to have a set of axle stands

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Most dyi folks would use a floor jack in the center front. That would be the ring used to tie down the car for transporting.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I haven't seen any manufacturer approve lifting a car from a center lifting point, not that a lot of people don't. Tying down a car doesn't put nearly as much weight on that point as lifting the front off the ground does.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
On other forums there are guys lifting V-6 Honda’s with that point so our little cars that a couple of guys could lift is probably fine.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Note: this is the second generation section. Many (most?) first generation things do not apply.

Googling jack points for 2010 Honda Insight brings up a few hits. The actual center front jack point seems to be way back, so far that using a floor jack is harder. You are looking for a square block behind the engine.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
On a G2, what does the owners manual show?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 2010-2011 service manual shows a spot up front for floor jacks. The illustration isn't the best, but the bracket appears to be just behind the center of the tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
PomonaInsight
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing