Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing these "go yellow" commericials for Ethanol-85 fuel. If I put E85 in my insight, what would happen?

Rough running?

Destroyed hoses?

No difference at all?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't use E85

A fuel system has to be designed to use E85/Flex Fueled.Plastic and rubber pieces in the fuel system,have to be made of special materials/compounds in order to be compatable and operate with the E85 fuel.

*****DO NOT USE***** it in any engine/vehicle that is not made to be operated with it.
Damage to the fuel system parts will result.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It's kind of a parrallel with diesel vs biodiesel. I've read of people using it in non flex fuel cars with no problems, but that's an iffy area. Basically it's more corrosive. You have to have a plastic or stainless steel fuel tank to begin with. You can't have any alluminum parts in the fuel system. The nozel tip on the pump has to be nickel coated otherwise it will turn alluminum to mush (an alluminum block engine is ok, you just cant have it sitting on alluminum for any period of time).

The other part of it is can the car handle is? Ethanol has ~75% the energy as gasoline so to have the same power output you need more fuel going in to the engine so the question really becomes can the car keep up with it? The injectors need to be sized appropriately and the computer needs to have the capability and possibly extra sensors to know what fuel or blend it's being fed. Plus you'd get lower fuel economy with it if you couldn't properly utilize the 110 octane rating.

In short, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I recall, I think the manual states somewhere that the Insight will take Ethanol up to 10% concentration.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Braxus said:
If I recall, I think the manual states somewhere that the Insight will take Ethanol up to 10% concentration.
I hope so. All the fuel in my area contains 10% ethanol. I've been using it for several years now.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah, all new cars are fine with 10% ethanol. We're talking an 85% blend of ethanol with 15% gas. I've talked to a retired Ford engineer who worked on their alternative fuels program in developing flex fuel cars. He said 10% doesn't really make a difference as far as corrosivity, but 85% is a whole different ballgame.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick said:
You have to have a plastic or stainless steel fuel tank to begin with. You can't have any alluminum parts in the fuel system. The nozel tip on the pump has to be nickel coated otherwise it will turn alluminum to mush
Maybe after I hit 200,000 miles I'll try the E85 before junking my old insight

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts