Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I tried to search the entire forum on this but I wasn't able to find any direct answers. So my current situation is that my car was recently in a flash flood. The water went slightly above the hood but not fully submerged for three hours. The battery was fully submerged in water and we did suck out a lot of water in the battery. We spent two weeks drying the car and changed the engine oil, spark plugs, and air filter. I would change the transmission fluid next week since there's a "check transmission" light on along with "check battery charging system" & "check emission system". I was able to get the car started and running, drove around the neighborhood for 20 minutes but the IMA battery is not charging. It drove fine with no issues and I got some information from this forum that our car doesn't have an alternator and relies on the IMA battery to recharge the 12V battery. Since the car cannot run without a proper working IMA battery, I would like to do a DIY swap and hopefully document it for other users here.

Our basement and all of our vehicles were flooded up to 3ft of water and basement up to 5ft last week due to Hurricane Ida. Its unfortunate that we only have full coverage for one of our vehicle and our Insight was not one of them :( .

So my questions so far are:

Is it possible to replace the original IMA battery with a fully assembled IMA battery with the fans etc. from a salvaged vehicle?
If possible, is this a direct plug and play kind of install from a used battery or would I need reprogramming/recalibrating that can be done by myself or the dealer?
Junkyard battery claims to be tested and fully charged with 90 days warranty.

Thank you in advance and any advice would be helpful for me before I start the process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This should be possible,I haven't done it myself though.......but have done this on G1 cars & I have dismantled quite a few of these batteries.
In any case you will need all the electronics that sit on top of the battery so if the junkyard battery is the complete tub,it should have all the parts.
Replace the cooling fan & clean all ducting reused.
If you haven't already remove carpet & thoroughly dry interior with dehumidfier check connectors for corrosion
The only unknown would be if the units need to be coded to the ecu.....which seems unlikely to me..... given that so far dc/dc converters & the like are swappable & batteries are often sold as a unit with all electronics to be swapped as a unit
On the G1 IMA cars no coding is necessary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Complete ipu....plastic tub with battery.......all electronics are on top of battery including battery management dc/dc & inverter.
these are often sold as an ima battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This should be possible,I haven't done it myself though.......but have done this on G1 cars & I have dismantled quite a few of these batteries.
In any case you will need all the electronics that sit on top of the battery so if the junkyard battery is the complete tub,it should have all the parts.
Replace the cooling fan & clean all ducting reused.
If you haven't already remove carpet & thoroughly dry interior with dehumidfier check connectors for corrosion
The only unknown would be if the units need to be coded to the ecu.....which seems unlikely to me..... given that so far dc/dc converters & the like are swappable & batteries are often sold as a unit with all electronics to be swapped as a unit
On the G1 IMA cars no coding is necessary.
Thanks for the information, I feel more confident in tackling this job now. For my insight I removed all the carpets and seats in the vehicle right after the flood. After putting the dehumidifier for two weeks inside the car without the carpet, it doesn't look or smell like a flooded car lols.

Oh boy. What about all the electronics in there? The battery is probably the least of your problems. :(
You'd be surprise, the G2 fuse box is under the steering wheel which water didn't touch. Water only went up the bottom of the seats, which under the seats is the battery :( . Under the hood there is a few fuses right under the hood. Honestly there isn't much electronics in the front end of the vehicle and if flooded, as long as water didn't go near the intake or spark plugs, there won't be any issues. Newer vehicles today have a ton of electronics in them, the G2 don't even have power seats lols.

Documenting this for anyone that want to know if we're able to DIY the G2 battery change, I will be purchasing the battery from junkyard for $350 and update this post with pictures and instructions.

·
Administrator
13,067 Posts
Was the flooding salt water? :cry:

There are so many connectors and sensitive parts in the car that must have been partially submerged.
This sounds like a nightmare that could mean you will end up chasing your tail forever with electrical gremlins.

I assume the IMA/CEL light is on, if so what are the full error codes?

Do you have state inspections?

Yes you can replace the entire IMA assembly in the back including the fan if it was submerged.

You will need a HDS Honda clone diagnostic system to help as the IMA motor rotor position sensor has to be learnt by the MCM or you will likely get an IMA code and the system may not operate correctly even with good parts.

You will also need an HDS clone to read fault codes properly.

Depending on the flooding depth things like the commutation sensors in the IMA motor or the motor itself might have been damaged.

Presumably you do not really know the condition of this junkyard pack either.
That may need work prior to fitting including cycling/grid charging or may even be faulty.
I would treat any warranty offered by the junkyard with a very big pinch of salt.
How have they charged and measured it's claimed capability/status etc?

Good luck..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts