Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening my fellow insightees, I am seeking information pertaining to the use of a lighter oil.
Thanks
:)

·
Super Moderator
4,809 Posts
This has been discussed before. Have you searched?

Sam

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I tried Honda's green oil. Engine ran about the same. Blackstone oil analysis showed a little more wear but it could have been entirely due to differences in driving style. I know it can make a fuel economy difference, but likely not more than a percent or two. An oil that's lighter while cold may reduce startup wear, while one lighter while hot may increase wear when the engine is rev'd up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do it unless you already have a stockpile of 0w20. There have been a few that have fun Honda green which is thinner than 0w16 and a few have run the Honda next gen which is WAY thinner than the green.

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
I don't understand the appeal of trying to run thinner oil. It's a conceptually bad idea.

Your engine was designed by people, engineers, way smarter than most of us. These very smart engineers designed all the rolling elements in the engine to work optimally with 0W-20 oil. Even if you could realize a slight reduction in frictional losses by using a thinner oll, it's not worth trade off of accelerated wear and/or even grenading your engine.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I don't understand the appeal of trying to run thinner oil. It's a conceptually bad idea.

Your engine was designed by people, engineers, way smarter than most of us. These very smart engineers designed all the rolling elements in the engine to work optimally with 0W-20 oil. Even if you could realize a slight reduction in frictional losses by using a thinner oll, it's not worth trade off of accelerated wear and/or even grenading your engine.
The engine is spec'd for a thinner oil in Japan, they just spec'd the thinnest oil one could get in the 'states for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The engine is spec'd for a thinner oil in Japan, they just spec'd the thinnest oil one could get in the 'states for it.
Bingo! Plus the hole idea of oil passageways being smaller is a pretty common misconception. Head over to BITOG (oil forum) to learn more.

I personally run 0w20 in my V8 land cruiser, and a v6 sienna. Combined they have like 520k miles. No issues. The forum I mentioned even has a guy who runs 0w20 in a Ferrari and Lamborghini.... I probably wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So, this question doesn't apply to most people's Insights, but I have an Acura K24A2 (TSX) engine in mine and I'm trying to decide what oil to use.

The K24A4 from the Accord is essentially the same engine, just with less cam lift/duration and a 600rpm lower redline. Most of the engine is the same, including (to my knowledge) the oil passages, pump, and bearings. Honda specs 5w20 for the Accord engine and 5w30 for the TSX. My first oil change I put 0w30 in, but I've been contemplating using 0w20. I can't help but think they spec'd the 30 weight oil for a reason though.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, this question doesn't apply to most people's Insights, but I have an Acura K24A2 (TSX) engine in mine and I'm trying to decide what oil to use.

The K24A4 from the Accord is essentially the same engine, just with less cam lift/duration and a 600rpm lower redline. Most of the engine is the same, including (to my knowledge) the oil passages, pump, and bearings. Honda specs 5w20 for the Accord engine and 5w30 for the TSX. My first oil change I put 0w30 in, but I've been contemplating using 0w20. I can't help but think they spec'd the 30 weight oil for a reason though.

Thoughts?
Yes, run 0w20 and don't even worry about it. There is a trend between a brand and it's luxury brand to spec heavier oil under the assumption it may be ran harder. There are many benefits to running thinner oil. You will be very happy. But, you may experience slightly louder engine noise. Thicker oil does a great job as a sound deadener in the engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts