Honda Insight Forum banner

1121 - 1127 of 1127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Great! Best problem is the one which solves itself. Sounds like your "MaxPTCVal" setting is just marginal for your temperature conditions. You might want to edit that variable to raise the value by a couple of degrees.

I'm a bit surprised that the battery outlet temperature didn't trip the charger first. I see that a lot in really hot weather.

This makes it sound like your PTC circuit is intact.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
If what's said in that other thread that Jime linked to is right*, and the Genesis monitors the resistance of those strips and you had a value of "80," and you have an older aftermarket pack, I don't think I'd be moving forward without inspecting it. Older aftermarket sticks have been known to expand, leak, and corrode the PTC strips, after which people have ended up with bad shorts and really failed sticks...

*snip from that linked thread:
"PTC strips should be at 1 ohm each at room temp, this is easy to verify, or 20 ohms per pack, mine sits at about 18 ohms.
at 130F each strip should be 2 ohms, or 40 ohms per pack
at 160F each strip should be 4 ohms, or 80 ohms per pack"

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
I guess I agree that an internal inspection wouldn't hurt, but she is charging under some rather atrocious conditions, which is probably the problem source. It cleared when the temperature dropped. My first reaction was internal inspection and identification, as appeared in the early dialog, but she doesn't seem inclined to do that. I would open it up if it were mine, but is it really necessary if trying to charge under anomalous conditions? Not everyone is as handy with tools and meters as you and I.

If one attempts to read the Genesis manual, the PTC "value" doesn't seem to equate to the PTC resistance or temperature. For example, the default value for "MaxPTCVal" is 200. (I just looked on my own charger.) I don't find it plausable that Genesis would have set this as a default value if it was ohms or temperature.

I don't think the her 80 is in ohms, or degrees, but the manual is very hazy on this count. The manual was written by the software developer, not Mike, and one can see this by reading the detailed accounts of how certain s/w functions work, while ignoring clear descriptions of what the screen setup and performance variable mean. This part is ancient history and from my memory of conversations at the time.

I'm thoroughly confused with the Genesis PTC displays. I think that if you spend time studying the manual, which is available as a download from the HybridRevolt site, you will be too. Do you have a Genesis?

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
I just measured the resistance, with a good quality Fluke meter, of 4 PTC strips. They ranged in value from 1 to 1.4 ohms, so the values in the reference post are pretty close - at least for the room temperature.

I think various folks, including Ian, have posted measured PTC profiles for different temperatures.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I don't think the her 80 is in ohms, or degrees, but the manual is very hazy on this count.... I'm thoroughly confused with the Genesis PTC displays. I think that if you spend time studying the manual, which is available as a download from the HybridRevolt site, you will be too. Do you have a Genesis?
No, I don't. I was assuming the "80" on the charger corresponded to the 80 ohms figure... If it were my problem I'd at least dig into the manual or do some research to find out what that 80 actually means. Since there's been problems with PTC strips and aftermarket packs, any PTC-related trouble code on the charger would make me nervous, even if it didn't have a one-to-one correspondence with that 80 ohms super-hot value...

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
No, I don't. I was assuming the "80" on the charger corresponded to the 80 ohms figure...
The owners of this rather sophisticated charger have been frustrated for years by the poor, disorganized and inadequate manual. But don't take my word for it, download the manual and see if you can make sense of the "80." I don't really mean be snide, I would truly welcome an explanation which makes some sense. This manual is so frustrating that I have two close friends, right here in the Mid-Atlantic, who own the charger but have given up using it because they can't understand it from reading the manual. Much of the charger operation is clear enough, but there are some very dark corners.
If it were my problem I'd at least dig into the manual or do some research to find out what that 80 actually means. Since there's been problems with PTC strips and aftermarket packs, any PTC-related trouble code on the charger would make me nervous, even if it didn't have a one-to-one correspondence with that 80 ohms super-hot value...
I think you would be disappointed digging in the manual....

About 10 years ago, there was a huge development thread for the charger. The PTC function may have been discussed at that time. I'll see if I can find the thread, since I am now curious also. My charger just stays at the default PTC setting;-)

But, on the rest I certainly agree. The fact that the PTC warning trips, probably set at the whatever default value, and the battery outlet temperature does not trip makes me kinda think that there really is a hot cell. If it were mine, I'd also be breaking into the pack, but it all depends of what battery and what configuration - the reason I asked for visual verification.

Since it is alleged to be a Bumblebee pack, there is considerable doubt that the battery PTC circuit is even installed, but I don't know what Eli did in the early days.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
1121 - 1127 of 1127 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
88 Participants
jime
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing