Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2002 J32 Honda Insight
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would introduce my daily driver.

2002 Honda Insight purchased in Nov 2016 with a working IMA. Drove it for about a year till the pack died and then gutless wonder for the rest.
Started the swap project in Sep 2018.

The motor is a J32A2 from an automatic Acura TL-S matted with an 2004 Accord 6spd and CL-S LSD.

For suspension I went with 2004 Civic front knuckles and coilovers with larger axles that were ordered to length.

It was a bit of a tight fit but everything is retained including ABS and AC.

For electronics the car Insight harness is wired into the automatic TL ECU with the RV6 Load Module (Simulates automatic transmission).
Most of the wiring was straight forward just match the components from the wiring diagrams.
All the V6 sensors are compatible with the Insight gauge cluster with the exception of RPM which simply needs to have the signal halved (3cyl -> 6cyl)

Later installed a 90mm throttle body

Rear suspension is a set of QA1 double adjustable coilovers mounted using an offset bracket at the top.

The car weighs a little under 2,000lbs with a full tank of gas and a spare tire.
The swap now has about 10,000 miles on it.
I absolutely love the car, it drives straight as an arrow, is super reliable and has all the torque I could ever need.

It makes 292hp/245tq

Drive it to the track and back and so far my PB is [email protected]

Couldn't be happier with this little guy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I knew it! As soon as I saw your first post. This guy is a heretic!!! Boot him off the forum! No. 😈 I knew there was more. I want to j35 swap my element but insight?! Wow. There is just so much wow there. I’m surprised you haven’t gone sub 11’s. Do you have a build thread to share here with us?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m also interested in the front suspension. I also got some same era Civic struts to measure up and they’re very close. I can see you’ve re-drilled the strut tops for the wider top mount. Did you retain the sway bar (anti roll bar in UK)? If so, how did you attach it to the strut? Steering arms looked to be in the same position as the Insight. What coilovers did you use? I think the Insight strut body was a bit shorter overall and I was concerned about bottoming out the Civic one, particularly if I lowered the car, so I figured I’d need to shorten the strut a little.

·
Registered
2002 J32 Honda Insight
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you give a little more info on your suspension?

I'm using EP3 knuckles with the stock struts.
Front suspension is D2 Racing coilovers for RSX with Civic hubs. The redrilled the strut towers allows me to run RSX spherical top plate.
Rear suspension uses a bracket that bolts into the stock location the simply moves the suspension inward so the coils can clear the rear arm. The coils arent straight because of this and so has a higher spring rate to compensate.

I knew it! As soon as I saw your first post. This guy is a heretic!!! Boot him off the forum! No. 😈 I knew there was more. I want to j35 swap my element but insight?! Wow. There is just so much wow there. I’m surprised you haven’t gone sub 11’s. Do you have a build thread to share here with us?
I mostly documented the process on my Instagram, this thread was an attempt at sharing with a larger community.
Sub 11's is the goal. There are a couple things that could be changed. It is still on a stock ecu so I can't increase RPM and it currently needs better gearing to not have to throw 5th gear. Also the car could stand to lose a couple pounds.
Here is my 11.48 in car

I’m also interested in the front suspension. I also got some same era Civic struts to measure up and they’re very close. I can see you’ve re-drilled the strut tops for the wider top mount. Did you retain the sway bar (anti roll bar in UK)? If so, how did you attach it to the strut? Steering arms looked to be in the same position as the Insight. What coilovers did you use? I think the Insight strut body was a bit shorter overall and I was concerned about bottoming out the Civic one, particularly if I lowered the car, so I figured I’d need to shorten the strut a little.
The sway bar is not retained but I personally don't run them in cars that I race.
To get the stock insight tie rods to fit the RSX coilovers I use K series head dowels to create a tapered bushing. Just put the dowel in the hole and start tightening the tie rod. It will create the taper all by itself and you will have nice tight steering.
I have not run into height issues but I cannot park head in because the oil pan sits in front of the tires. Using adjustable coilsovers helps a lot to have the freedom to change it. For example here is the car on 235/60/14 bias-ply

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ah right, I assumed you’d used Civic coilovers. Any reason why you used RSX and not Civic?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I’m reasonably new to Hondas and particularly with the Civic parts there’s a bewildering amount of stuff that looks roughly the same but is probably slightly different when offered up next to each other.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My Rex did a solid 11.6 (first time I ever took to track) Z R X that is. That’s fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 J32 Honda Insight
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah right, I assumed you’d used Civic coilovers. Any reason why you used RSX and not Civic?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I’m reasonably new to Hondas and particularly with the Civic parts there’s a bewildering amount of stuff that looks roughly the same but is probably slightly different when offered up next to each other.
I have a 2004 Civic track car which uses a lot of RSX parts so I borrowed them off that car.
Main drawback is that the strut is not centered on the knuckle since RSX uses a larger diameter bolt.
But a good alignment sorts that.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So much awesome. I have been looking for something that would work in the rear like your setup. Can you point me to the place you got the brackets to mount the shocks?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you port and polish the intake manifold? Lots of hidden power across the curve waiting to be free.

Holley also has an adapter kit to use the LS top section of their intake plenum on the J series. Check out PFI Speed on youtube for visuals (green Bully civic)

The Holley setup opens up a metric butt ton of useable power.

Reactions: Saxjonz

·
Registered
2002 J32 Honda Insight
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you port and polish the intake manifold? Lots of hidden power across the curve waiting to be free.

Holley also has an adapter kit to use the LS top section of their intake plenum on the J series. Check out PFI Speed on youtube for visuals (green Bully civic)

The Holley setup opens up a metric butt ton of useable power.
Motor doesn't have any work done.
I have heard good and bad about the holley. From my understanding the stock manifold is the best option for all motor with the holley coming in good for boost.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Holley for NA is more for maximum peak gains, ported honda manifold and runners is best for overall drivability and midrange power. It ends up being how you fancy your power curve.

Your are correct, for forced induction, the Holley plenum simply has the best flow and volume.

I guess that means you gotta go twin turbo!!

·
Registered
2002 J32 Honda Insight
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holley for NA is more for maximum peak gains, ported honda manifold and runners is best for overall drivability and midrange power. It ends up being how you fancy your power curve.

Your are correct, for forced induction, the Holley plenum simply has the best flow and volume.

I guess that means you gotta go twin turbo!!
This car is still on the factory untuned ecu so I wouldn't make sure of any increased power past the stock 6800 redline.

And single turbo is the way im planning on going. Divided T4 either a 67 or a 72 but hoping for around 1000hp.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
single turbo is the way im planning on going. Divided T4 either a 67 or a 72 but hoping for around 1000hp.
That's going to be epic. I wonder how long before people catch up that the J series motors are under rated. I've started seeing them pop up on sand rails now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts