Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We only got one normal key and one valet key when we bought Fuel Phobic. I was going to take the valet key as my key since my Mom is driving it also. I was able to unlock the doors, and turn the car on to ON, but it wouldn't start using the valet. The green transponder key thing on the dash was flashing, so I guess there is something wrong with the chip in the key. Using the regular key it started up fine, so nothing wrong with the car. I'm going ask Honda about it when I take my HCH in to get an oil change. It would be great if I could just get another regular key, but I'm under the impression they are rather expensive ($100), though when I did a search for "valet key" someone said they got a copy of their key for less than $10!

I suppose there isn't really a point to this thread, it just is weird that the key didn't work.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
It is probably damaged or the regular key was reprogrammed with a new ECU and not the valet key.

Even if you get a valet key, it would have to be programmed to work with your car just like the regular key would. Check the price of a regular key with your Honda dealer before just getting the valet key...It may be less expensive than you think...Mine was $36.00 per key including programing for the regular keys.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
101 Posts
Key copy

That $100 figure you saw was probably for a new key without one to copy. If you have one to copy, it's much less. I had a copy of my key made and I think it was less that $30. Dealer did it in just a few minutes. Seemed like good insurance.

Regards, Jim
'01 191

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know. I'll post how much it cost me once I get it done.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAIK most dealers charge quite a bit more than $30, but if yours is that reasonable then go fo it. :)

There are aftermarked key "clones" available. You'll need the working key. Call your local locksmith shops. Key and cloned here in east Tennessee: $50

HTH! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought my Insight used in 2004. A couple of years later I also noticed my regular keys started the engine but not the valet. I took it by Honda and they told me it was never programmed to start the car. Honda programmed they valet key free of charge. It took around a minute or so to do.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
A thought, if the car had the ECU recall done and the owner didn't bring all the keys with the car then they would not have programmed the keys to the new ECU. If this is the case then you should be able to get the dealer to program the key as part of that recall.

Regardless, a cloned key should run you maybe $15. My Insight I had only came with one key, I had it copied at the dealer. They will need your VIN number in order to make a copy and there will be a T5 engraved on the key noting that it is a copy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts