Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From searching, I now know that, when I bought my insight, they only gave me the gray valet key. I'm guessing that this key is a transponder key that I can clone but, I would like to have the option of locking the glove box. my key doesn't even slide into the glove or hatch locks.

Q: is it possible to make a black key from the valet key?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That's a good question, to which I really do not know the answer. I would suspect however that the dealership's parts department might know how it works. I *think* there's only a very slight difference between the valet key and the regular black key, but don't hold me to that.

Also if you need the instructions for programming a remote to the car email me.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAI remember your right Rick. There's only a difference in the blank that prevents glove box operation. But if you want the valet to park it you'll need a transponder version.

Also prepair for horrible MPG while he's behind the wheel :p

Hmmm... Maybe its a better idea to park it yourself. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick said:
That's a good question, to which I really do not know the answer. I would suspect however that the dealership's parts department might know how it works. I *think* there's only a very slight difference between the valet key and the regular black key, but don't hold me to that.

Also if you need the instructions for programming a remote to the car email me.
Thanks for the reply guys :D . I will go to the dealership to get everything straightened out. hopefully it is just a matter of a different blank not allowing the valet key to slip into the hatch/glove locks. I'm guessing the grind pattern is the same with the valet key the black key. I'm pretty sure the valet key is a transponder key as well otherwise the car wouldn't start.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont have one said:
Thanks for the reply guys :D . I will go to the dealership to get everything straightened out. hopefully it is just a matter of a different blank not allowing the valet key to slip into the hatch/glove locks. I'm guessing the grind pattern is the same with the valet key the black key. I'm pretty sure the valet key is a transponder key as well otherwise the car wouldn't start.
Yup, that was it. the blanks are slightly different, and I got a master key cloned for under $10.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Under 10 dollars! Sounds like a bargain to me if it has a transponder. The valet key is the same blank, however when it is ground the cutter is set shallower so that the edges of the key are thicker and don't fit into the rear hatch lock.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
When did Honda start including valet keys? I bought my Insight in 2001 and never got one, just two regular keys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts