Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Insight was this 2001 Red Insight. About 10 years ago I sold it to a friend. It died two years ago and hasn't gotten fixed since her mechanic husband had a stoke.
I am looking for advice on the value of this vehicle, if it is worth repairing, if it should just be a parts car or if it should just be sent to the junkyard.

Yesterday I drove over to her place to see what condition it was in.
I was able to start it up and have it run by jumping it. The engine sounded good. The check engine light was on but I didn't have a machine to check the codes. The 12V battery is dead which is to be expected after two years outside in Wisconsin winters. AC and heat worked.
The IMA light was on and there were no bars on the battery indicator. The 12V battery was not receiving a charge.
The IMA battery was replaced with a Bumblebee battery about 5 years ago (not sure about the date)
The car has 282,217 miles on it.
The front tires don't have much tread. The rears are OK.
The body has some damage as follows
Rear vertical glass is cracked.
The passenger side rear wheel skirt is off and has a chunk missing.
The driver's side rear view mirror was broken off and taped in place.
Some of the clear coat on the hood is pealing off. The hood was a replacement after an encounter I had with a deer. The work was done by the Honda dealer and obviously not up to Honda standards.
Mice have nested in the glove box, heater and cubby box in the rear. It needs a really good cleaning.
The antenna on the roof is loose.
The front right side of the bumper must be loose as it is taped in place.
I did not drive it or try the radio or try the electric windows or the wipers.
I have photos of the car and a 3 second video of the engine running if anyone is interested.
The car is about 30 miles east of St. Paul MN near New Richmond, Wisconsin.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Sounds like it needs a lot of attention. I would guess value at no more than $1000.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Seconded, sounds like a car that will take a parts car to make whole and be worthwhile otherwise the parts cost will make it uneconomical. I'd put it in the 3-800 range since I can't see pics.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
If I had space and it were close by, I wouldn't hesitate paying $500. And I don't even really want one. So, for someone who wants one, or who simply wants some of the major parts, like engine and IMA stuff, I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble finding someone to pay $1000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had space and it were close by, I wouldn't hesitate paying $500. And I don't even really want one. So, for someone who wants one, or who simply wants some of the major parts, like engine and IMA stuff, I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble finding someone to pay $1000.
Thanks for all the replies. The values are about what I expected.
What are the chances that the IMA battery could be grid charged back to life? The one in my current 2000 Insight is 21 years old and not in the best shape.

·
Linsight Designer
2,445 Posts
Grid charge the IMA battery for 30+ hours BEFORE you try to use it in another car. That'll be your best bet.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
You should probably hold-off on the grid charge until you see the pack and find out exactly what it is, like get a serial number and call Bumblebee, ask what 'vintage' it is and what you should do with it. Older aftermarket cells have been known NOT to handle grid charges well. You say it's about 5 years old and that would probably fall into the era of questionable cells.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should probably hold-off on the grid charge until you see the pack and find out exactly what it is, like get a serial number and call Bumblebee, ask what 'vintage' it is and what you should do with it. Older aftermarket cells have been known NOT to handle grid charges well. You say it's about 5 years old and that would probably fall into the era of questionable cells.
Thanks all,
I'll get more info from the owner and BumbleBee and then try the grid charge if that is the recommendation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
High mileage, needs a pair of tires, broken glass and body panels, bad paint, interior will may always smell a bit mousey even if you strip it to the metal and properly clean the interior.

Is it a CVT or manual?

$500 parts car. More if the IMA battery is somehow healthy and you have a source for new a new interior

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a CVT.
I am going to pick up this Insight on Friday and drive it home. The current plan is to try to revive the IMA battery by grid charging it. Bumblebee said that grid charging is OK but being discharged for so long it might not take a charge. If I can get it to take a charge I may use it in my 2000 Insight that still has the original battery.
I will report back on how things work out. The rest of the car will get parted out or sold to someone else that would like to do that.

·
Administrator
12,976 Posts
Older aftermarket packs do not like being grid charged at all much.
Speak with Eli at bumblebee before even attempting it.
Note my avatar is a an early aftermarket stick that has been grid charged.. :(

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My pack smelled like it did that and from the burned up computer probably did. I had an early aftermarket pack from a supplier that I think is now out of business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts