Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year everyone. New Year's resolution no 1 - sell the car and join the local car club :shock:

Does anyone have ideas of what UK Insights have actually sold for? Parkers price guide have the Insight on their website - they think my Y reg (2001) 53, 000 is worth about £4800 as 'private, good condition'. Autotrader have a W reg one on for £4995, though I've noticed it's been hanging around for a while. Point is though that so few come up for sale it seems difficult to get a valuation.

If anyone's seen (or better still bought) any Insight for sale of late your advice is greatfully received.

ta

Ed

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ed wrote: Point is though that so few come up for sale it seems difficult to get a valuation.

This is true so you will have to test the market by putting it on E-Bay with a very high reserve and see how far up the scale it goe's.
Of course this will only be a sample of interested parties at any given time so the bidding might not reach the true value.
Bear in mind it is a sellers market since you own a car thats rare and in demand being a Hybrid and flavor of the decade.

How will you live without it?

DGate

·
Administrator
12,445 Posts
Good luck with that!

Well good luck with the car club, seems pretty drastic.

Your car value depends on lots of variables as you know I'm sure.

First and foremost what someone is prepared to pay!
Depressed market, credit squeeze and time of year don't help.

Other factors in UK include.

1) Is it a genuine UK car? or import?

2) What year is it? Pre March 2001 or post March 2001 (Tax exempt?)

3) Does it have a Honda service history?

4) Does it have a warranty Hondacare extended or otherwise?

5) Mileage/condition/accidents etc?

6) Any issues IMA or otherwise?

7) Lifetime mpg?

Lots of variables and as you say Insight's are like rocking horse poo in UK.

You can tout the car to a few honda dealers for a price or bung it on autotrader/e-bay and see what the reaction is. I do know one individual in the market for one.

I think the car guides will be just that, a guide as so few come up for sale.

Somewhere between £4000-5500 seems reasonable for a tax exempt car. Fuel here is £1.10p a litre in places so a few more people may be looking more seriously now at fuel consumption as an indicator.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Ditto what has been said above. However in my experience although supply of Insights is limited (good for price) there is also a lack of knowledge & therefore demand for the car (bad for price).

I would suggest putting the car on eBay and let the market decide. Also start the auction at the lowest price you would accept - rather than have a reserve, which tends to put bidders off.

For the record I probably won't be bidding after getting my 1.4 TDI re-mapped to 108bhp...

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
one sold recently on ebay (member off here) for £6500ish - similar age to yours maybe less miles -Mark Elvin

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice all. I'm a little reluctant to go down the eBay route due to the risk of it going for peanuts. I think the thing to address is how to make it visible to the type of person who'd be interested in buying it.

With that in mind I'm going to try and get it out to some of the places and groups the green(ish) minded people are likely to be, lots of environmentally conscious types in these parts, just need to find one with five grand. I've also emailed this Chris Ball guy (getaninsight.com) to see if he's interested, I'm guessing he's on this site a bit??

It's been quite a hard decision to make, but at the moment I don't really have cause to use a car on a regular basis and have found myself making silly journeys just to give the car a regular run. :( I'll be sad to see it go though, but at least I've got that model one that I won at the meet in 2005 for being the biggest Insight spod.

I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Ed said:
Thanks for the advice all. I'm a little reluctant to go down the eBay route due to the risk of it going for peanuts.
As I suggested, try your hand at listing your car at the lowest amount you would accept (£6.5K?) and see if there are any takers.

Ed said:
at least I've got that model one that I won at the meet in 2005 for being the biggest Insight spod.
I had forgotten who had won that! I still have a red Insight model (my little Ferrari :) ).

·
Registered
536 Posts
There is a 2000 model on autotrader at the moment for five grand,don't know if it is an import or not but looks good in the photos.

DGate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts